Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 21st October 2016, 11:26   #61
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

I installed the OEM cabin light with map lights. Then I replaced the yellow W5W bulbs with Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Car Lamp | T10, 6000K, 12V, 1W. This made it so much better.

I was unable to find any good C5W 42mm LED online so went to a shop and he installed a spring fixed LED bulb which had a slight flickering so did not take it. But I discovered that 42mm was not a fixed dimension, I could bend the holding metal clips slightly and fix a smaller length bulb. So I ordered a Philips Fest 10 5x38 LED 12944 6000K Interior Bulb (12V, 1W). I installed this and everything looked good as in below photo.

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_0199.jpg

However, when I locked the car, I noticed that the LEDs did not switch off completely. There was still about 5% illumination in them. So I took out the 38mm festoon LED and kept it's slot empty. The problem persisted. The only way to ensure that all LEDs are 100% off was by using the stock yellow C5W bulb. I also noticed that if I touched the 2 metal clips with my hands, the 5% illumination on the W5W LED would go away. Probably I was completing some circuit that is necessary for proper working of the LEDs. Below photo shows the 5% illlumination.

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_0197.jpg

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?
anshumandun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 15:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post

However, when I locked the car, I noticed that the LEDs did not switch off completely. There was still about 5% illumination in them.
Hey anshumandun I have a similar setup for my Cabin light and with the LED bulbs, there is always some illumination if you leave the switch in the 'Unlock-On' position.

My guess is that since these are LED's which require much lesser voltage than the regular bulbs, the tiny amount is enough to light it up a bit.

I always make sure I turn the dome light switch completely to 'OFF' position, as long as there are no night drives/outings planned.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 17:57   #63
BHPian

LED have an after glow of sorts. Am not sure what the apt term would be but LED lights continue to glow very slightly even after switching off for some seconds afterwards. Is your 5% remaining light continuing beyond sometime?
negativeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Is your 5% remaining light continuing beyond sometime?
Yes, it is always glowing if switch is at "door open" position unless I put the switch to "Off" position. If I use the stock 42mm c5w bulb in the center position, there is no glow in the w5w led pilot bulbs so it has something to do with the center bulb. I will see if I can repost this to a larger audience in the GT TSI official review forum and get some solution. For now, I am using it as it is with all LEDs and the bulbs are always 5% glowing.
anshumandun is offline   Reply With Quote