Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 10:13   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney/Cochin
Posts: 289
Thanked: 154 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Very nice DIY. Thanks for the detailed photos and descriptions. Kudos for the perfect execution!
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 13:21   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,878
Thanked: 9,719 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

I did not expect this feedback and appreciation for such a paltry piece of work. Thank you so much guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Most of the cars, need the hood to be dropped from a distance for it to lock into position and not sure if this car also needs the same. If they are pressed by hand, there is a chance of the bonnet being misaligned. How is that taken care of through this?
The hood should be dropped from a certain distance in this case as well. When the hood is open, pull it to a certain distance and leave it. It closes like before. No difference here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
Could you help me with the rear hood pop DIY for polo. Just like the one that ECS Tuning sells for Golf, etc.
For the boot pop, just replacing the stock struts wouldn't make the difference. The bumpers need to be changed as well to the ones that comes with the Scirocco. I am referring to these:



The bundle that ECS Tuning retails fits for the Polo as well. They have mentioned Golf under the models but the Polo doesn't retail in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
If the strut is not used for a quite long time (hood not opened frequently) will it affect the performance or life?.
How to find the maximum length (extended length) used by the hood?
I don't think that would be a problem. As long as the strut is not physically affected from the outside (dents to the cylinder or rod), it should work just fine. In order to find the extended length, open your hood and support it by the arm/rod. Now find out 2 locations wherein you may be able to mount the strut on the chassis and the hood like hex. head bolts/nuts. Use a measuring tape to calculate this distance:

VW Polo DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood-img_7997.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Few questions/inputs:
1. Are the clamps primered & painted? It doess look like they are, but couldn't be sure. Some kind of anti-rust treatment would be ideal.
2. The single gas spring looks like it's good enough to handle the weight of the hood, but two would provide for better symmetry. Both terms of lifting/retention forces and appearance.
1. Yes the clamps were having the primer applied originally. Notice the crimson red shade before the square channel was broken down into 2 clamps. I had then applied a coat of black paint over them but it got worn out since we were in a hurry to use the clamp. The ideal clamp would be of SS material - no worries of paint or corrosion.

2. I agree but on the left side of the hood, the tube which carries the windshield washer fluid to the nozzles is routed and secured. I did not want to touch that area thus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Seeing this, I am now interested in doing the same for the hood and boot on my Vento.

Could you please inform me as to the following:

1) What is the exact model/spec of the strut you purchased for your Polo?
a) Can the same be used for the Vento?
b) If not, what model would you suggest?

2) What model/spec should I order to replace the spring arm on my Vento's boot lid?
a) Would any additional parts/mods be required for attaching this to the Vento's boot?

My wife has a colleague currently in the UK, so we can probably ask him to bring the stuff down when he returns to India, so shipping is (probably) not an issue.
1. The exact model of the strut I have used is this - GS6-15-220-260 Fixed Force Gas Strut

a. Yes the same model can be used for the Vento but I would suggest you to go with a strut with a higher force rating and 10 mm lesser extended length.
b. This one - GS6-15-220-250 Fixed Force Gas Strut, force rating (350 N) and lesser extended length (470 mm instead of 480 mm giving it some leeway). In my case, the force rating is lower - 250 N (thus requiring us to lift the hood to a certain height) and the extended length is 480 mm.

You can go for this model - GS6-15-220-250 Fixed Force Gas Strut

2. Not sure how struts can be installed to the boot of the Vento. I had shared something else before which uses mechanical springs - link (Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks)
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 14:36   #18
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I don't think that would be a problem. As long as the strut is not physically affected from the outside (dents to the cylinder or rod), it should work just fine. In order to find the extended length, open your hood and support it by the arm/rod. Now find out 2 locations wherein you may be able to mount the strut on the chassis and the hood like hex. head bolts/nuts. Use a measuring tape to calculate this distance:
Forgot to ask, when I checked the SGS struts site, it asks the choose the type and size of ball studs. Not able to figure that out. Just see the below picture and guide.. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood-ballstud.jpg  

RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 18:52   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 308
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
1. The exact model of the strut I have used is this - GS6-15-220-260 Fixed Force Gas Strut

a. Yes the same model can be used for the Vento but I would suggest you to go with a strut with a higher force rating and 10 mm lesser extended length.
b. This one - GS6-15-220-250 Fixed Force Gas Strut, force rating (350 N) and lesser extended length (470 mm instead of 480 mm giving it some leeway). In my case, the force rating is lower - 250 N (thus requiring us to lift the hood to a certain height) and the extended length is 480 mm.

You can go for this model - GS6-15-220-250 Fixed Force Gas Strut

2. Not sure how struts can be installed to the boot of the Vento. I had shared something else before which uses mechanical springs - link (Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Forgot to ask, when I checked the SGS struts site, it asks the choose the type and size of ball studs. Not able to figure that out. Just see the below picture and guide.. Thanks
Hi gannu_1,

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. I am definitely going to order a pair of these for the Vento (in the interests of symmetry), so I might just go with 250N force, as there will be two struts giving a total of 500N.

What type of Ball-stud end fixing? Plastic or Metal?

What screw length? I suppose the thread type would be M6x1.0. I assume this would be about the same in the Polo and Vento, if not identical.

What ball head diameter?

Confusion, confusion.

Please help with this and I can stop bothering you and get on with the much more satisfying ordering part, and then hurry up and wait.

Last edited by pillainp : 12th June 2014 at 18:59.
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 22:16   #20
BHPian
 
Kris_risk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kochi/Trivandrum
Posts: 33
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Hello Gannu.. that is a really well executed job. The workmanship and the thought put in for the design of the bracket is also exceptional, especially considering that this is DIY.. Good job and keep it coming..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Hi gannu_1,

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. I am definitely going to order a pair of these for the Vento (in the interests of symmetry), so I might just go with 250N force, as there will be two struts giving a total of 500N.
.
.
Please help with this and I can stop bothering you and get on with the much more satisfying ordering part, and then hurry up and wait.
Hey Pillainp, I am also planning to get the struts done for my Vento, just inspired by the DIY. Do you think the 340N version as suggested by Gannu makes sense considering the fact the hood is heavy and since it would be able to give better lift and moreover do we want to push the hood back that far? On the other hands, with Gannu having done with 250n version, it is a sure shot option with limited risk.

On that note, how do you intend to get the bracket done? I am also at Tvm so we could probably fabricate it a common place?
Kris_risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 22:59   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 308
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Hello Gannu.. that is a really well executed job. The workmanship and the thought put in for the design of the bracket is also exceptional, especially considering that this is DIY.. Good job and keep it coming..



Hey Pillainp, I am also planning to get the struts done for my Vento, just inspired by the DIY. Do you think the 340N version as suggested by Gannu makes sense considering the fact the hood is heavy and since it would be able to give better lift and moreover do we want to push the hood back that far? On the other hands, with Gannu having done with 250n version, it is a sure shot option with limited risk.

On that note, how do you intend to get the bracket done? I am also at Tvm so we could probably fabricate it a common place?
We can certainly look at getting this done together. Let me see if the guy who used to all our work earlier is still around.

PM me your contact details and I will inform you when I find a guy.

Based on what I can see from gannu_1's video of his Polo, 340-350 single sided should be more than enough. However, I will likely be doing both sides @ ~300 ea, if I can get that to work. And these things seem to be cheap enough to be worth ordering a spare.

BTW, surprised I haven't seen you around TVM before. I have a Shadow Blue Vento TDI HL no. KL-01-BE-8100. Honk/Wave if you see me. Would be delighted to meet you.

Last edited by pillainp : 12th June 2014 at 23:03.
pillainp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 20:10   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,878
Thanked: 9,719 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Forgot to ask, when I checked the SGS struts site, it asks the choose the type and size of ball studs. Not able to figure that out. Just see the below picture and guide.. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Confusion, confusion.

Please help with this and I can stop bothering you and get on with the much more satisfying ordering part, and then hurry up and wait.
Apologies for the late response guys. I was down with a respiratory infection and was confined to the bed for the last 2 days.

The end fixings you need for the strut would be this - T3 - 10mm Ball Stud M6 Male Thread To Fit M6 Thread

VW Polo DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood-1.jpg

To come to this end fixing, you will have to shortlist 10mm under BALL DIAMETER, M6x1.0 under MALE THREAD and 19 mm under LENGTH.

After you have placed the order, it should read something like this:

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1815
Size:  82.9 KB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th June 2014 at 20:23.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 03:10   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 28
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Good Mod Gannu. Sure the struts give the car an upmarket feel and is comfortable too. Maybe it would be a good idea to apply some sealant around the bolts and the altered areas around the hood and inside top of the fender where the paint may have chipped off and cause corrosion in the long run. It is advisable as water has a tendency to park itself in such places.
rohin4110 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 23:16   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 308
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Hi, gannu_1,
Thanks for the clarification regarding the ball heads for the struts.

Now since I am trying to have them on both sides, do you suppose 300N a side will suffice?

Also, the pipe to the windshield washer is routed around the top bolt on the hood on the right. Do you think it is possible to route the pipe some other way or can the strut be mounted without compromising the pipe?
pillainp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 09:18   #25
DRC
BHPian
 
DRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cockpit
Posts: 907
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Great Work Gannu_1! Do enjoy the DIY and keep us posted as always.
I have a small question. (and may be a request).
Could you please check and confirm is there any stress on the hood while closing?

And, regarding whether or not we can make it auto lift with a 350N strut, I think it might not be possible with the current location of the fitment shown on pics. Reason being, when the hood is closed, the direction of force is no longer acting against the weight but against the structure itself. That's the reason we have to lift to certain height.

Of course, we can make it auto lift if we choose different mount points which act against the weight.
DRC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 09:58   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,878
Thanked: 9,719 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Now since I am trying to have them on both sides, do you suppose 300N a side will suffice?
IMO 350 N should suffice for a single side i.e. the RHS of the hood viewing the car from the front. Mounting a second strut is unnecessary and it might hinder the routing of the pipe.

2 struts of 300 N would be a very large force IMO. But regardless if the struts are mounted with the cylinder ends towards the hood side, it would dampen the vibrations as the hood opens completely so it shouldn't be a worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Could you please check and confirm is there any stress on the hood while closing?
In my case, I could not feel any stress on the hood after the strut was mounted. This could have been because the force of the strut in my case was only of 250 N. The hood can be easily closed from atop by pulling it and leaving it from a certain distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
And, regarding whether or not we can make it auto lift with a 350N strut, I think it might not be possible with the current location of the fitment shown on pics. Reason being, when the hood is closed, the direction of force is no longer acting against the weight but against the structure itself. That's the reason we have to lift to certain height.

Of course, we can make it auto lift if we choose different mount points which act against the weight.
Different locations can also have its advantages but in most cases, I've noticed the struts mounted near the hinges or the far ends of the hood.

BHP'ian ecosport rules had mounted a strut on his Ecosport and was able to open the hood entirely by means of the force of the strut. The details can be read here. Please have a look.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 18:10   #27
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

This is my hood and engine bay view. Figo has a provision to fix ball studs on the chassis, where as I could not find one on the bonnet. There are few holes (circular and oval) only. Posting pictures for your ref.

Mods: Not able to align the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood-wp_20140615_005.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood-wp_20140615_006.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood-wp_20140615_007.jpg  

RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 09:26   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

I had done the same DIY on my Civic a few months ago.

iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:16   #29
BHPian
 
e-katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 134
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Hey @pillainp @Kris_risk, I am also in Trivandrum and would like to do this for my Polo. Let me know if you guys are going ahead with this.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
We can certainly look at getting this done together. Let me see if the guy who used to all our work earlier is still around.

PM me your contact details and I will inform you when I find a guy.

Based on what I can see from gannu_1's video of his Polo, 340-350 single sided should be more than enough. However, I will likely be doing both sides @ ~300 ea, if I can get that to work. And these things seem to be cheap enough to be worth ordering a spare.

BTW, surprised I haven't seen you around TVM before. I have a Shadow Blue Vento TDI HL no. KL-01-BE-8100. Honk/Wave if you see me. Would be delighted to meet you.
e-katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:35   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 308
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: DIY: Installing a gas strut to lift the hood (VW Polo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Hey @pillainp @Kris_risk, I am also in Trivandrum and would like to do this for my Polo. Let me know if you guys are going ahead with this.

Thanks!
Hi,

I've had to push my plans back by a couple of months, because of certain overriding personal concerns.

I will definitely keep you in the loop.
pillainp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights Gannu_1 DIY - Do it yourself 79 31st October 2017 09:18
VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna Gannu_1 DIY - Do it yourself 44 11th September 2017 21:03
DIY - Cedia Front Strut Bar Installation Captain Slow DIY - Do it yourself 0 8th November 2014 17:35
DIY: Base for the Hi-Lift Jack Tejas@perioimpl 4x4 Technical 10 12th November 2013 12:38
DIY Josh - Installing the ICE myself moralfibre In-Car Entertainment 16 7th February 2006 15:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks