Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 19th March 2016, 20:22   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Its actually the other way around. It belongs to and looks home on a Yeti which is a true x-over where as its just a trend these days to add these mouldings on any hatchback or car and make it look like a wanna be x-over.
Well from my perspective I am going for these fender protectors only because of the additional protection it may offer my poor Yeti against evil cyclists, addle pated auto rickshaws and moronic motorbikes...if it ends up making my Yeti look a bit better, then I consider that to be a bonus.
Function over Form in my book, especially here in India and more so when like me, if one has only one multi utility work horse / daily use vehicle.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 20:45   #182
BHPian

Default Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Well from my perspective I am going for these fender protectors only because of the additional protection it may offer my poor Yeti against evil cyclists, addle pated auto rickshaws and moronic motorbikes...if it ends up making my Yeti look a bit better, then I consider that to be a bonus.
Function over Form in my book, especially here in India and more so when like me, if one has only one multi utility work horse / daily use vehicle.
How much is it costing you? It bruises easily and is only so thick. If you loose one or damage one, I doubt you could get just that one replaced. It is more form than function or practicalicty. If you go mild off roading it could be protective against branches and stuff scraping against the paint on the projecting wheel arches. I can't think of it being any more protective than that. In fact I am more worried of scraping after fixing it. But I love to live with it than not have it.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 19:00   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much is it costing you? It bruises easily and is only so thick. If you loose one or damage one, I doubt you could get just that one replaced. It is more form than function or practicalicty. If you go mild off roading it could be protective against branches and stuff scraping against the paint on the projecting wheel arches. I can't think of it being any more protective than that. In fact I am more worried of scraping after fixing it. But I love to live with it than not have it.
The pricing mentioned to me so far is around 20K including the labour fitment charges and so on.

The stuff has come but apparently the glue accompanying it was dry.

So I have to wait until the replacement glue comes.

Now, I have a query for you - when you fitted these, did they fit them over the clear transparent plastic stone chip guards on the rear wheel arches?

I would not want them to remove those OEM clear plastic transparent stone chip guards because that has already helped by Yeti a couple of times in small run ins with idiot motorcycles.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 19:14   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The pricing mentioned to me so far is around 20K including the labour fitment charges and so on.

The stuff has come but apparently the glue accompanying it was dry.

So I have to wait until the replacement glue comes.

Now, I have a query for you - when you fitted these, did they fit them over the clear transparent plastic stone chip guards on the rear wheel arches?

I would not want them to remove those OEM clear plastic transparent stone chip guards because that has already helped by Yeti a couple of times in small run ins with idiot motorcycles.
Best is to use silicon that is used for pasting front wind shield. Use a good quality one and you wont have to worry about it. Wheel arch kit was pasted on using silicon without removing the stone chip guard. Better to leave it untouched as its very much required there.

Talking about silicon, my Yeti's eye brows came with some silicon and it proved to be of very poor quality and both eye brows flew off on the very next Chennai trip. Next time I was lucky to find some left over silicon which Mercedes uses for their windshiled as OE. Used that and never had a problem. So please use some good quality silicon to paste the arch kit. You could check with the service centre itself for silicon they use for pasting the front wind shield. That would do the job. Also, very important to have the surface de-greased and clear of moist and dust before applying.

And, 20K is a great deal. That too all inclusive!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 15th April 2016 at 19:19. Reason: Added info.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 19:21   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Best is to use silicon that is used for pasting front wind shield. Use a good quality one and you wont have to worry about it. Wheel arch kit was pasted on using silicon without removing the stone chip guard. Better to leave it untouched as its very much required there.

Talking about silicon, my Yeti's eye brows came with some silicon and it proved to be of very poor quality and both eye brows flew off on the very next Chennai trip. Next time I was lucky to find some left over silicon which Mercedes uses for their windshiled as OE. Used that and never had a problem. So please use some good quality silicon to paste the arch kit. You could check with the service centre itself for silicon they use for pasting the front wind shield. That would do the job. Also, very important to have the surface de-greased and clear of moist and dust before applying.

And, 20K is a great deal. That too all inclusive!
Thanks again
I will get this done and keep you posted along with pictures etc when ready!

Cheerio!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 12:25   #186

Hi, Can anyone here throw some light on availability of Window Deflectors for my New 2015 Yeti? Preferably a local ( Indian and not foreign )source.
stonehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 19:25   #187
BHPian

Beach trip this morning. Felt like sharing.
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-img_2253.jpg
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote