Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 3rd July 2014, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo DIY: Euro-spec Tail lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I happened to swap the stock tail lights on my Polo with the Euro-spec ones few days back. It was not a straight swap as I had thought it to be so penned down a guide when I had some free time.
Dude your DIYs rock. I have been following all of your DIY threads, and am green with envy by now. I have a Polo too, and while I would love to carry out some of your DIYs on mine, I know I am just too lazy. I'm pretty sure that you're more methodical than most garages, and you always do a superb job of posting them here.

One change I have been thinking about forever but haven't done thanks to the $$$ involved and warranty concerns is projector headlamps and DRLs. Is that anywhere on your agenda ?

Oh, and you should have picked a different handle. "God_of_DIYs" is one that comes to mind.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
One change I have been thinking about forever but haven't done thanks to the $$$ involved and warranty concerns is projector headlamps and DRLs. Is that anywhere on your agenda ?
Unfortunately no. The OEM xenon headlights with the DRLs are expensive. The basic one with the manual bevel gear based headlight leveling system itself costs a little less than 60k from Germany. God forbid, if customs duties are levied, I will have to shell out a lot more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Oh, and you should have picked a different handle. "God_of_DIYs" is one that comes to mind.
OK that is too much! All these DIYs are petty stuff man - screwing random nuts and bolts, soldering some cables.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 11:03   #18
BHPian

Nice DIY effort. Just wondering if you could have got these from Eagle Eyes ? They seem to be funkier and easier to fix. Mostly plug and play.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 21:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

The OEM spring loaded screws have arrived:

VW Polo DIY: Euro-spec Tail lamps-10501285_687606927983185_94035989_n.jpg

Notice the change in length from the stock screw:

Name:  IMG_8602.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  107.7 KB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th July 2014 at 22:01.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 22:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The OEM spring loaded screws have arrived:

Notice the change in length from the stock screw:

Attachment 1257990
Its always a pleasure to see DIYs from you Gannu_1 , and this time it made the car look spectacular. And thank you so much for sharing the entire experience here in the DIY section.

Regarding the spring loaded screw that you sourced from US, I see that the screw attaches the light to the body of the car. Did u check if its only bulb holder deep or is it deeper than that and goes to the outer casing ?
If it is only bulb holder deep, then you could swap the Indian bulb holder with the EU one?
Ref:-
Attachment 1256036
To put the question clearly, is the spring loaded screw only part 2 deep or does it penetrates into the part 1 as well ?
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 07:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Regarding the spring loaded screw that you sourced from US, I see that the screw attaches the light to the body of the car.
Correct.

Quote:
Did u check if its only bulb holder deep or is it deeper than that and goes to the outer casing ?
The internal threading is present only in the outer casing. It extends beyond the bulb holder.

Quote:
If it is only bulb holder deep, then you could swap the Indian bulb holder with the EU one?
Cannot be done. Both the holders cannot be swapped as they have a different bulb holder design.

But do not worry. You can use an M8 hex. head bolt along with an M8 hex. nut and a washer to secure the cluster to the body of the car. The assy. does not become loose and wiggle later on. I have verified this after completing a few trips which involved bad roads.

Easiest option is to source a pair of original screws along with the cluster in case you place an order. To avoid the soldering part, source the clusters from UK or another RHD country.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 13:00   #22

Thanks for sharing your experience.
The in-depth details with which you have explained the whole procedure is commendable.
Mudcat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 00:36   #23
BHPian

Great going Gannu! I was wondering on which thread should I reply. I suggest and shall await to see a new thread with the WRC bumper fitted on your car. It would look killer. I guess one of our members got it installed. Do consider it for your next DIY. With that done your polo will be the only euro spec model in india!
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 22:44   #24
Team-BHP Support

The OEM screws arrived today (USPS shipment):

VW Polo DIY: Euro-spec Tail lamps-wp_20140716_19_09_12_pro.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Euro-spec Tail lamps-img_20140716_221753.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Euro-spec Tail lamps-img_20140716_221815.jpg

Fixed them in a jiffy. IINM the same fasteners are used in the current Jetta, Golf and some other cars as well as the part numbers matched.

This DIY is now complete.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 10:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ganesh,

Need some expert advice.

I have ordered a reverse camera for my Polo GT TSi to connect to the Android HU. I ordered this after cross checking the dimensions of the camera with the dimensions of the number plate light on the Polo.
VW Polo DIY: Euro-spec Tail lamps-camera2.jpg

I received the following connection diagram from the manufacturer (camera yet to arrive).
VW Polo DIY: Euro-spec Tail lamps-camera.jpg

The AV cable has to be routed to the HU and does not involve any wire tapping. There are two sets of wires, one for the number plate light and another for the camera supply that has to be connected to the reverse light. Can you suggest me a method to achieve these connections without having to cut or splice any wires?

EDIT: Looking at the camera picture and the wiring diagram, looks they different. The camera picture looks like I may be able to plug in the halogen lamp from the OE number plate light into the camera. That would leave the power for the camera which has to come from the reverse light.

Last edited by graaja : 18th November 2015 at 10:13.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 10:48   #26
Team-BHP Support

For tapping the reverse light and GND for the camera power cable, you have 3 options:
  1. Use Scotchlok connectors on the reverse light signal cable (no. 1) and GND (no. 5) on the LHS wiring harness. Refer the pin assignments from the previous page.

2. Remove a part of insulation from the above cables, solder the wires and tape the soldered joint.

3. Solder the cables inside the tail light's metal conductors:

You won't be touching the stock harness in this case.
Old 18th November 2015, 13:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For tapping the reverse light and GND for the camera power cable, you have 3 options:
Thanks a lot for the ideas. I think I will choose option #3 to get this done without affecting the existing wiring harness.

Another idea that comes to my mind is to run long power cables along with the AV cable, and tap these to the Android HU's cable assembly to the 12V and GND lines using scotchlock connectors.

The downside of this method is that the camera will always be powered when the HU gets supply. Does the power supply to the HU get turned off when we remove the key or does it always stay powered? What are your thoughts on this? If this does not work, then I will go with your option #3.

About scotchlok connectors, do you know of any source in India where I can get this. There is one seller in eBay who has 4 of these connectors each priced at 290 rupees. Wanted to check if there is any other website that sells these connectors.

Thank you for all the information and guidance. Please bear with me on the long list of questions.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 14:05   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The downside of this method is that the camera will always be powered when the HU gets supply.
IMO, this may not be a good idea since the camera will remain powered on all the time.

Quote:
Does the power supply to the HU get turned off when we remove the key or does it always stay powered?
No, the HU is supplied power at all times. When the key is taken out of the slot, it turns off but the unit is still powered. You can turn it on manually without the key in the slot.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on this?
Use method 3. Requires a little extra effort but a soldered joint + some molten glue over it using a glue gun, will be a permanent fix. I haven't used a Scotchlok connector anywhere in my car before and prefer soldering/butt crimp over it.

Reason? Refer this link - The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors

Quote:
About scotchlok connectors, do you know of any source in India where I can get this. There is one seller in eBay who has 4 of these connectors each priced at 290 rupees. Wanted to check if there is any other website that sells these connectors.
Here's a cheaper one from eBay - 10 pieces for 290 Rs.

Quote:
Thank you for all the information and guidance. Please bear with me on the long list of questions.
No worries! Happy to help.
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:39   #29
BHPian

Hi Gannu, I contacted the same guy from whom you bought these lights from ebay.de however he said he is not shipping them to India anymore?
Could you help me getting these lights?

Regards
Neugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:55   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugal View Post
Hi Gannu, I contacted the same guy from whom you bought these lights from ebay.de however he said he is not shipping them to India anymore?
Could you help me getting these lights?

Regards
You'll have to get it from an alternate vendor on eBay. Please do a search.

Moreover, if you are planning to get them installed on the newer facelift models, try to get the facelift Euro tail lights as the connectors are different for the older models and the newer ones.

PS: Sorry for the late response!