Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 29th August 2016, 11:24   #76
BHPian

Default Re: DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

I'm happy to report that this DIY is as brilliant as ever.

I ended up using the same ebay product, from the same seller as d_himan and all rattles have quite simply vanished after the rubber piping was added to the weather-seals !

Thanks a ton sir !

Cheers !

Sundar

P.S: The 'jugaad' was done on my pre-owned '13 GT TDi.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th August 2016 at 16:02. Reason: Formatting
MavericK46 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 19:07   #77

Big thanks to you d_himan! I read your post while looking for a solution to the creaking windows issue and your solution worked brilliantly. Before I read your post I went to VW service centre (Autobahn, Navi Mumbai) and they couldn't figure out the issue. In fact, they wanted to open/dismantle the doors to check for alignment issue! I tried your solution and the sound was reduced by 90% which was good enough for me.

I got the pipe (commonly used in water purifiers) from a local hardware shop and that served me well for about 6 months but then the creaking sound was slowly rearing it's head again. I checked the pipes and found that they were now completely flat due to the pressure on them. I went to the hardware store again to get new pipe but then it hit me, why not get something which would not lose shape overtime. So I opted for a thick electrical wire (don't remember the gauge) instead and it's been over a year and the creaking noise is still at bay.

Any suggestions on sound damping? The engine (1.6 TDI) along with stock tires make too much noise to enjoy a peaceful drive.
razer2911 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer2911 View Post
Big thanks to you d_himan!
Any suggestions on sound damping? The engine (1.6 TDI) along with stock tires make too much noise to enjoy a peaceful drive.
Sorry, just saw this. Michelins for the tyres. The diesel drone...gotta live with it I reckon..
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 21:00   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Solution:
5. Enjoy the silence!
What is this wizardry! It actually works!

The door rattle was driving me up the wall and now I can finally drive in peace.
s.10.32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 14:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. Enjoy the silence!
Had these from day one. Cannot thank you enough! Installed these on the 4th day of buying. It was a year, after which some idiot from the SA removed them thinking they are not needed.
I have to reorder, since those buzzes and creaks are killing me! I JUST cannot drive this car without the music system on!

GREAT SOLUTION! Rating this thread a well deserved 5 stars!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 11:58   #81
BHPian

Quote:
In my week old Polo TSI, I noticed, to my horror, that the doors were 'creaking'/'rattling' on bad speed bumps, sudden braking.
Hi d_himan

My two days old Polo GT TSI has a creaking driver's side door. I am facing a similar issue with my Superb as well (much louder). I am going order the flexible tube and try it out. Many thanks for coming up with the DIY.

Last edited by csr9 : 8th April 2017 at 12:09.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 12:20   #82

The dreaded rattles just started on my 3 months old Polo TSI. I am pretty sure its coming from behind the dashboard or Passenger side AC vent or maybe something under the bonnet. The rattles only happen when the car goes over a patchy road or potholes. Its like there's coin somewhere inside the dashboard which is rattling around. Took it to Volkswagen Gurgaon but wasn't able to re-produce the sound as the roads around the service center are in good condition. Its becoming really annoying during drives as its really hard to ignore

Any suggestions?
aashish_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 11:38   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish_84 View Post
The rattles only happen when the car goes over a patchy road or potholes. Its like there's coin somewhere inside the dashboard which is rattling around.

Any suggestions?
Have you installed any aftermarket equipment like Head unit, speakers, tweeters, parking camera/sensors that required the dash or a part of it to be dismantled?

If not, ask a passenger to record a video which clearly captures the noise you're talking about and show it to the service guys. I would suggest requesting the service center to allow you to take one of their technicians for a drive on broken roads so that they can take a look at it themselves. Write to VW customer care and make them fix an appointment for you.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 15:50   #84
BHPian

Quote:
The dreaded rattles just started on my 3 months old Polo TSI. I am pretty sure its coming from behind the dashboard or Passenger side AC vent or maybe something under the bonnet. The rattles only happen when the car goes over a patchy road or potholes. Its like there's coin somewhere inside the dashboard which is rattling around. Took it to Volkswagen Gurgaon but wasn't able to re-produce the sound as the roads around the service center are in good condition. Its becoming really annoying during drives as its really hard to ignore

Any suggestions?
I have had a similar issue in my Vento multiple times. It was just a fender lining "lock" that was bad. The one one at the center, behind the stabilizer link, goes bad easily.

The service centre people should be able to replace just the "lock", if that is faulty in your car.

VW part number: N 90833801

Last edited by halfbytecode : 15th April 2017 at 15:57.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 16:40   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought the "designed in" squeaky rattles with the diy cures were a thing of the past. I have not experienced them on my TDI 1.6.

My rattle comes from the AC. Set on auto, it "idles" at two-marks-on-scale fan. And rattles.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:44   #86
BHPian

Excellent DIY. It has nearly silenced that annoying creaking sound. Only problem is my driver side door seems to need much more force to close now - which is why I have only applied it to the other three doors (1/4" pipe). Though it seems to work fine, I have to figure out why the driver side door isn't closing properly - I couldn't see an obstruction along the groove.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 08:39   #87
BHPian

I used Silicone grease and sprayed it on the door hinges, latches, and rubber beading around the doors and car body where the doors close. However, the spray was a bit messy and some of it got on the dashboard and other surrounding trims.

The squeaks, prominently from the rear right window, seem to be gone for now. I will keep an eye out, or rather an ear, to see if it continues to remain squeak-free.
Old 16th May 2017, 19:29   #88

Quote:

Any suggestions?
The problem is finally resolved and silence is back inside the cabin. I booked a visit to VM Gurugram (TriumphAuto) this time and they spent considerable amount of time driving on broken board near the Service Center to diagnose the problem. And it turns out the rattling sound was coming from the Glove Box Door as it was not fully shutting down. They made adjustments to the spring loaded fasteners (not sure what they're called. See the picture below) which ensures the Glove Box door shuts tight. I would have never expected this to be the culprit given the sound of the rattles but glad its finally gone and peace has returned inside the cabin

DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles-capture.jpg

The Car has also completed 7500 kms and 7500 Km General Checkup was done as well at the same time. No problems reported and did not have to pay anything.
aashish_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:12   #89
BHPian

So this may sound silly but does this apply only for VW or any car? My 9 year old CRV seems to be having this creaking issue and I kept thinking it's due the flexing of the door panels.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:57   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I used Silicone grease and sprayed it on the door hinges, latches, and rubber beading around the doors and car body where the doors close. However, the spray was a bit messy and some of it got on the dashboard and other surrounding trims.

The squeaks, prominently from the rear right window, seem to be gone for now. I will keep an eye out, or rather an ear, to see if it continues to remain squeak-free.
This seems to be working well so far. Moreover, the rubber beadings are quite soft to touch now.