Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 6th April 2015, 19:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy

Great work Antihero but i stumbled upon this thread a bit late. Anyways its still "Wurth" the effort to apply Wurth branded Underbody Seal as GTO has correctly advised. I had all the regular anti Rust treatment done on my MM550 and after that, just before the colour coat, i applied 5 cans of the above mentioned product.

You will have to call Wurth to obtain it as it is not available in retail stores, bargain for the price and you will get a discount. They will appoint one of their trained persons to come and spray the stuff with the gun, at the place where you want, for a meager fee. (I tipped the guy more that what he was charging, so you can imagine). The correct way to go about it is get the date just before the first coat pf spray is going to be applied and get the Wurth sprayed properly on every part of the Gypsy. I used 5 cans because i sprayed the chassis, complete underbody especially wheel wells, inside floor till the B pillars, firewall, inside the doors and other rust prone areas else he had recommended 3 cans. One can was approx 900/- so it was 900x5 = Rs. 4500/- well spent.

That was around 2-3 years ago and my Jeep has seen three seasons of rigorous OTRs, mostly in the monsoons, including water fording, slush and what not. I can proudly say there is not a bit of rust anywhere where it was applied and this is a M&M product which is highly rust prone. Now i use it for all my classic cars during restoration.

As we speak i am in the process of building a 1.6 Gypsy which will need this treatment.

I strongly recommend you use that on your Gypsy, even now.

Thanks, hope my post has been helpful.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 22:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Any consensus on this yet?
I am again planning on going the natural and easily available route here. Rockwool is out of the question and since I do not see why polystyrene will spontaneously combust, I might end up with that. But I am waiting for a better option, or a consensus here on what works best.
Umm... read this first, and check the MSDS for the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene#Fire_hazards
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 21:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Umm... read this first, and check the MSDS for the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene#Fire_hazards
I don't get your point. I do understand that polystyrene is easily ignited. But I don't see why this is relevant for insulating a gypsy hard top. I do not foresee interior temperatures even getting close to the flash point for polystyrene. Do you mean I should be careful about smoking or cooking in a polystyrene padded hard top?
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 19:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
I don't get your point. I do understand that polystyrene is easily ignited. But I don't see why this is relevant for insulating a gypsy hard top. I do not foresee interior temperatures even getting close to the flash point for polystyrene. Do you mean I should be careful about smoking or cooking in a polystyrene padded hard top?
Exactly. In case of exposure to a source of ignition, polystyrene will be hazardous. If you can find a safer alternative, use that. If not, be careful in the car. Cooking in the cab is out of question, regardless of the insulation material.

Having said that, there are flammable stuff inside the car anyway, so don't worry too much. Perhaps some of it is safer than Styrofoam and can be a good alternative- like the material used under the carpeting of the car. Some homebuilt aircraft are made of Styrofoam as well- maybe you can search for some flame retardant version.

Why don't you try fibreglass? Excellent insulation and non flammable as well.

Last edited by fighterace : 8th April 2015 at 19:34.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 08:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you try fibreglass? Excellent insulation and non flammable as well.
Fibreglass health risks (also the reason for ignoring rock wool)
  • Irritation to eyes, nose and throat
  • Rash and itchiness
  • Stomach irritation if fibers are swallowed
  • Worsening of asthma and bronchitis
  • Possibly carcinogenic

The natural alternative is using sheep wool insulation pallets but they are unavailable in India (especially in J&K and Himachal). So might have to make do with some good old sheep wool blankets.
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 01:06   #21
BHPian

^^Best way to go. But then flammability is still a concern.
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 17:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great work Antihero but i stumbled upon this thread a bit late. Anyways its still "Wurth" the effort to apply Wurth branded Underbody Seal as GTO has correctly advised. I had all the regular anti Rust treatment done on my MM550 and after that, just before the colour coat, i applied 5 cans of the above mentioned product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope it's not too late, but whatever you do, please generously apply Wurth anti-corrosion coating before the paint. It is simply fabulous! Expensive, yet worth every paisa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Has the metal given away and started holes on the bed? If so you need to do patch work. After that you can use zync oxide based primer and move on to wurth for protection and finally covering it with paint for protection. Make it multiple layers of all of the above.

Key is how clean you prepare for each of the steps and keep impurities away. All the very best.
Thanks to Jaggu, V16 and GTO the Wurth coating has been achieved! Though I couldn't persuade Wurth to send a person all the way over, and I don't blame them...it is 150 kilometres from a major town. My friend in Delhi was happy to find 3 cans and bring them over.
So we had another quick DIY session for coating the rear cab. Once done another coat of primer was reapplied and voila the results are for you to see.

DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-fullsizerender-copy.jpg
  • The last step will be to paint this in matte white. I still don't have a paint booth, so it will be a brush application.
  • The Pillars and the 3rd door (it is a custom hard top) will be addressed in Step 2.
  • The roof liner, a smelly old thing, will be addressed in step 3
Now that I have the raw material (read anti rust, primer, paint, time) more progress will come soon.

Quote:
^^Best way to go. But then flammability is still a concern.
For wool? Wool is used as a fire retardant. Remember the good old adverts where in case of a fire the victim was told to roll on the floor and someone would smother the victim in a wool blanket.
From: http://thenaturalsleepstore.com/blog...tant-wool.html
Quote:
One property of wool that contributes to its flame retardant nature is that it absorbs moisture and can hold up to 30% of its weight in moisture (compared to cotton at 8%, or synthetics at 5%). It also contains keratin, which has a 100 degree higher flash point than wool alone, and that combined with the higher amounts of water means that it requires a much higher temperature to ignite. Wool burns slowly, smoldering and charring, and ultimately giving off less heat.
The structure of wool also contributes to its flame retardant nature. The structure of wool is unique in that each fiber is covered with microscopic scales, such that the outside of each fiber looks a bit like a pinecone. These tiny scales are what allows wool to be carded, weaved, or felted. The scales rub against other scales and get caught into little tangles, which hold the wool together. According to Wool Gatherer, one thing that makes carded wool flame resistant is the fact that the fibers are so close together that they create an environment that is fairly devoid of oxygen thus resisting flame. An example of this idea, although one I have not personally tried and would not recommend, would be attempting to light a phonebook on fire. Apparently, it is not easy to light a phonebook on fire, as the pages are so tightly held together there is not enough oxygen present to support the flame. Individually each page could be set on fire quite easily, but as a complete unit it is much harder and takes much more energy to set a phonebook on fire. Similarly you can burn one strand of wool, but wool batting only smolders.

Last edited by antihero : 20th April 2015 at 17:09.
antihero is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 20:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Great news buddy. Trust me the Wurth treatment will make you smile years later. Ensure you get it sprayed all over. All the best.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:22   #24
BHPian

a couple of coats of white paint later

DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0624.jpg
antihero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:27   #25
Team-BHP Support

Do apply sealants on all the edges, like the gap you see at the cover on top of the fuel filler pipe, next to the rear right wheel arch.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote