Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 24th May 2015, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Default DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!

They say, "necessity is mother of all inventions"

But then, I am no Einstein and instead of a necessity (not my necessity at least), the stimulus was only to evade mum's scolding.

Before we start, pardon me for the incomplete pics, since the idea of recording the DIY and putting it here (ala Parag Sachania Sir) struck me a little too late. It's only when you write a thread (esp a DIY) that you realise how meticulously you have to document even the simplest steps.

PROLOGUE
So, a dim shaded lamp near the main door went bust. This lamp was kept on whenever the family went out, so that on return, there would be one lit light, which would prevent stumbling in the dark. Also, it was used for our pet dog, whenever he was left in the house for a short duration of 30-60 minutes. As with all lazy bones like me, the work was repeatedly postponed until today's big encounter and scolding from mom.

Of late, I have started celebrating the earth hour and am trying to be a green environment friendly chap (not that I am not one otherwise). So, I thought, why not find an LED (instead of the earlier CFL) solution to the problem. A quick check on DX.com showed that the LED house bulbs that I had ordered 20 days ago, were nowhere in sight. Sensing the tone from mommy dear, I had to present a solution that day itself. And here lit my engineer's brain.

Gathering the tit bits
A quick visit to store room and I could find the following:
  • After one DRL LED was brutally stolen from my car, fearing the well being of my faux chrome grill I removed the other DRL and kept it safely in my store room (yes, Even DRLs on cars are not safe in Delhi).
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-picture1.png
  • An old 12V adapter from my old time desktop modem. Surprisingly, the modem failed me while the charger is still working DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img_20150524_214709923.jpg
  • A rusted brain of a 26-year old which wasn't put to use for long
So, the idea was to use the old 12V charger with an output of 800 mA, connect it with the spare LED DRL and fix this whole set up in the light dome with the existing connections.

And some other tit bits
Other things required / used in this DIY:
  • Zip ties: to hold the charger in place
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img_20150524_214242817.jpg
  • Heat shrink tubes: to make the perfect connection covers and avoid a KABOOM moment
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img_20150524_214248287.jpg
  • Electrical tape: for wherever the heat shrinks could not be used
  • Wire cutter / splicer for easy connections
  • A male-female plug connector to connect the charger to the power supply wires
  • A white cover board: to stick the LED DRL and cover the dome
Plan of action
The simple DIY was to connect the charger into female plug connected on the pre-existing power supply cables. Thereafter, the charger was plugged just like you plug it in normal power socket. The output wires of the charger were cut and spliced and properly connected to the spare LED DRL.

Note: LEDs have fixed polarities, so please make sure to connect it the right way before final packing and taping.
  • The placement of charger and connected wires
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img_20150524_214001403.jpg
  • Temporary placement to test the functionality(Ignore the partially lit LEDs, that's due to back current)
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img_20150524_214225003.jpg
  • Testing phase
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img_20150524_214140729.jpg
  • Once this was done, everything was placed inside the dome cavity which was then covered with the white cover and LED DRL(backed by double sided tape) was pasted on it
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img20150525wa0013.jpg
    DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img20150525wa0012.jpg

The end result
DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!-img_20150524_214150326.jpg
  • The light is brighter than before
  • I could recycle some otherwise waste products
  • Howsoever minuscule, I assume there is some power saving
  • Mummy dear rewarded me with a sumptuous dinner meal from my favorite take away joint

Thanks for your time. I'll make sure to use a better camera and well documented pics as and when the next DIY takes place.

Regards

Last edited by Aditya : 27th May 2015 at 16:21. Reason: Formatting
Grr7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 14:59   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: DIY: Using leftover DRL LEDs for Home Lighting!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section). Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 18:19   #3
BHPian

Very interesting DIY! A well lit result at the end.
Rover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 02:15   #4
BHPian

Good attempt to make use of left overs.. your inventive brain must be appreciated. Now, only if someone could modify this for a waterproof (read Dog-pee proof) footpath lighting.
Doc_nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 05:48   #5
BHPian

Smart work!

How hot would the 12 V adapter get?
Wondering if you need to drill few holes in the white cover for some air circulation. Does the LED strip also get hot?
TorqMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 22:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
Very interesting DIY! A well lit result at the end.
Thanks Rover2000. The results are pleasing(so far).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Good attempt to make use of left overs.. your inventive brain must be appreciated. Now, only if someone could modify this for a waterproof (read Dog-pee proof) footpath lighting.
Thanks Doc! While on car, these LEDs were exposed to quite a few rainy sessions to be entrusted as waterproof. Dog-pee proof. That needs to be researched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Smart work!

How hot would the 12 V adapter get?
Wondering if you need to drill few holes in the white cover for some air circulation. Does the LED strip also get hot?
Thanks TorqMaster. Even I had concerns about the heating, but then analysing the usage pattern, this light is lit only for a couple of hours usually.
But yes, a few holes should help it go a long way. Shall do it on coming sunday.
Grr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 23:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
[center]
Appreciate your idea and work Grr7!

There is one more possible use for this leftover DRL. You can take it out, connect it with cigarette lighter plug of the car and use as inspection lamp at night.

The car boot too will be happy to receive a good amount of bright illumination from such DRL. Of course, you will need to make sure of the wire size and fuse size.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 00:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Appreciate your idea and work Grr7!
The car boot too will be happy to receive a good amount of bright illumination from such DRL. Of course, you will need to make sure of the wire size and fuse size.
Thanks for the kind words Rahul!
The bootlamp is a good idea. But I have been contemplating to get one for my Swift Vdi. But I am planning for replicating the factory fitted boot lamp option from the Zdi/Zxi version. Something like this, factory finish and reliable functionality:
Name:  DSC03153.JPG
Views: 5629
Size:  54.2 KB

Regards
Grr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 00:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice idea. How much is the light throw? Can you post a snap to show how is the area lighted up?
I have many of them but as of today, they all adorn my car. I hope not that I have to put it for some other use. My usage of DRLs -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3712564 (Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags)

Last edited by BoneCollector : 29th May 2015 at 00:16.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 10:08   #10
BHPian

Other people who have car led lights lying in junk but do not have a donor adapter, can buy 250V-12V led adapter which is readily available at local electric shops for pretty cheap.

image can be seen at this ebay link.
mishraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 11:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Good work! You just gave that adapter a new lease of life.
As someone pointed out earlier, dont forget the slots for air circulation for the adapter.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 13:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Rahul!
The bootlamp is a good idea. But I have been contemplating to get one for my Swift Vdi. But I am planning for replicating the factory fitted boot lamp option from the Zdi/Zxi version. Something like this, factory finish and reliable functionality:

Regards
Yes you can consider using DRL in parallel with the boot lamp. It works pretty well. Ensure you identify the right location & angle for mounting the DRL. See the link here

What wattage are your current DRLs? Any idea how much is the limit of wattage that is available for the boot lamp?
naikameya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 14:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Even I had concerns about the heating, but then analysing the usage pattern, this light is lit only for a couple of hours usually...
You can attach a heat sink to adapter (if space permits). Two options (I've used first option some time back) :

1. Aluninium window sliding channels. They'll have better heat dissipation area for given length. Some waste pieces can be sourced from nearby fabricator for minimal price or even free of cost.

2. A flat section cut from old/unused copper/aluminium vessel from kitchen. After cutting, it may be bent in 'L' shape or 'right angled U' shape.

Cable tie should be sufficient to fix it.
AutoNoob is offline   Reply With Quote