Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 6th June 2015, 23:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!

I see phone, and even tablet, holders designed to fix to car air vents. Imagine trying that on a Polo!

This sort of part should last, barring accidents or misuse, for the lifetime of the car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 23:58   #17
BHPian

Default re: VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!

Ok, so the world famous german engineering failed on designing something as basic as sturdy AC vents.

No issues! But what's bad is arrogance to accept the fault. Or keep your bloated arrogance intact and silently change the design? No, not ever that! And then you are charging customers some Rs.3000-4000 every year for the replacement with same faulty engineered part which is bound to fail again.

I think VW should make Ac vent replacement as a part of service manual, so along with oil change(say at every 15000 km), get the vents changed as well.

Last edited by Grr7 : 7th June 2015 at 00:00.
Grr7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 01:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
I think VW should make Ac vent replacement as a part of service manual, so along with oil change(say at every 15000 km), get the vents changed as well.
I think they should make proper ones, and fit as a "recall" to all affected vehicles. It may not be a safety or mechanical problem, but it does matter.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 09:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Just like many others in this group, my car's a/c vents are also broken in less than couple years. Dont want to crib about the fragile design, as it already talked about much in this forum.

VW service is clear that its not covered in warranty and charges are high to change the whole set.

I would like to know, if any of you have got the vents changed on your own?, if so from where and how (if DIY)

I plan to do some DIY, but before that thought to check, if someone has already done it.
I had my Vento's AC vent fins dislocating/breaking within 1 year of ownership. VW Mangalore did a jugaad and fixed the same. However, within a matter of months, it broke again. This was done free of cost. Next, I got it done at VW Whitefield. They replaced it under warranty and so far its been close to 2 years, I haven't faced any issues. The SA at Bangalore updated me that the new ones are different and VW have addressed issues with these.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2015 at 10:16. Reason: Language
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 12:12   #20
BHPian

I have had this same problem during my ownership. Although it happened after 3 years, so it lasted a bit long for me I guess. But the strange thing is, I found all of them broken on the very same day. I wonder how all the vents can get broken on the same day. Or may be they got broken earlier but I just didn't see.

I opened those side vents using a small screw driver head. Side vents are easy to remove. Upon inspection I found that one of the slats got a broken pin that keeps it aligned to the assembly. I tried a temporary fix but needless to say, they remained broken. It's just a badly manufactured part. I wonder if the same kind of vents are used in Jetta or not. From the looks of it, they are different. But I don't know the mechanism. If Jetta doesn't have this problem then why can't they make polo's vents using the same technique.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 12:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

That reminds me, the other day a friend/colleague happened to bring his new Polo Trendline petrol to the office and I had a look. The AC vents in that car had a remarkable difference in the quality compared to what was on mine. It was very flimsy and was freely rotating about its hinge in the top-bottom direction whereas the vents on my car takes some force to set them up and down. There is a very apparent difference in the quality.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 12:58   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Clearly, there is no permanent solution available from VW India. So, here's a suggestion: How about buying a Euro-spec air vent online? Sample listing. Am sure one can search further and find multiple sellers in Europe / UK who will ship to India.

The Euro-spec quality has got to be superior.

VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!-57.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 13:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think they should make proper ones, and fit as a "recall" to all affected vehicles. It may not be a safety or mechanical problem, but it does matter.
The problem is with Germans and their arrogance sir.
If VW group could not make the DSG recall in India while they happily did the same in China and other countries, expecting them to do a recall for something as minuscule and non-mechanical like AC vent is any day dreamer's dream.

Last edited by Grr7 : 7th June 2015 at 13:38.
Grr7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 13:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The vents in my Vento are embossed 'Made in Germany' so even if one imports I doubt if it will be any different.

I think that the German plastic is becoming brittle in our climate. VW should have these vents made in India.

Last edited by techiecal : 7th June 2015 at 13:48.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 14:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Clearly, there is no permanent solution available from VW India. So, here's a suggestion: How about buying a Euro-spec air vent online? Sample listing. Am sure one can search further and find multiple sellers in Europe / UK who will ship to India.

It's an awful lot of money for us to spend, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
The problem is with Germans and their arrogance sir.
If VW group could not make the DSG recall in India while they happily did the same in China and other countries, expecting them to do a recall for something as minuscule and non-mechanical like AC vent is any day dreamer's dream.
Sadly true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
The vents in my Vento are embossed 'Made in Germany' so even if one imports I doubt if it will be any different.

I think that the German plastic is becoming brittle in our climate. VW should have these vents made in India.
It's weird: I just can't iamgine the European car-buying market putting up with this
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 17:23   #26
Team-BHP Support

Rajneesh Hiremath wrote in via Facebook to say that you get the entire set of all vents for Rs. 900 in Shivajinagar, Bangalore.

He got them for his Skoda Rapid.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 18:09   #27
BHPian

My friend has the centre vents replaced in his Vento. I have not had any problem with the vents in our Polo. However, the car cleaner only cleans the car from outside .
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 18:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Impossible, plastic itself is created out of heating so as to fit the injection mould along with other reinforcing materials such as metals, glass or elastomers based on the requirement of the final product. Once the injection moulding is done the plastic hardens when cooled down. I agree that constantly high ambient temperatures can melt certain very fragile pure plastics (such as in toys) but it should do absolutely nothing to polymer composite plastics used in automobiles in Indian conditions. The temperature difference between Germany & India at peak (I assume) maybe about 20c deg, not enough to affect plastics.

This is clearly made with wrong raw-materials & also assembled very poorly. The air vents assembly basically is simple, you have vents row-wise to adjust up & down flow & vents column-wise to adjust left & right flow. What is very important here is how each vent is interlocked firmly to the adjustment mechanism so that the hinges never become loose, as also the strength of the plastic so that it doesn't flex & pop out. This VW part has neither. Unlike rubber, high quality polymer plastics will not become brittle or weak under ambient weather.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 22:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
This is clearly made with wrong raw-materials & also assembled very poorly.
Whatever plastic they are using is definitely breaking down within a couple of years. I have opened and repaired my vents and found that the bottom hinge of the vertical slats is so miniscule (about 1 mm. dia) that when they break off you cannot even find the broken piece. And they break off ever so easily on old vents.
techiecal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 10:08   #30
BHPian

German car with premium tags (Merc, Audi, BMW) etc. are making good margins on the products sold across the regions. The bling badge value keeps their cash box ringing. VAG group (though being the second largest in the world following Toyota) is still struggling in many countries to make mark.

Looking at their products sold in India, it is assuring that VAG has no plans to gain further momentum in India (for their mass market offerings) for reasons known to them and them alone.

Yes, the basic engineering is good and the product design ages slowly as compared to the eastern manufacturers like Suzuki, Nissan, Toyota et. al, yet they have never worked hard on homologation of their products for Indian sub-continent.

Inferior part quality, poor recall standards and ill treatment with customers (especially after sales) are known traits for VAG operations in India. Leave aside the present case of Vents, I have many friends who have parted ways with VW within 5 years of ownership because of poor part availability with dealers (several of them are from tier II cities like Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur etc), keeping cars for days for minor issues, unable to diagnose error codes which the car throws on service centre guys and certainly even the regular servicing has taken a tool on both pocket and patience.

VAG has to figure out issues and act accordingly if they are serious for India else they will stay as marginal players in the market dreaming of reaching "X" percent share of the Indian automobile market.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 8th June 2015 at 10:11.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote