Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 27th August 2015, 16:20   #46
BHPian

Default re: VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!

I gave my Vento TDi for 4th service in Volkswagen Whitefield and a day after getting the car back I noticed that center AC vents are broken. I did ask them to clean the AC ducts as part of 4th service and in the process the mechanic has broken the vent. I took the car back to the workshop and after some resistance they agreed to replace it free of cost.

Yes they are very fragile and I now find my left vent broken. I will have to get it replace during my next visit to the workshop. I did not have any issues with the AC vents for last three and half years and within two months I will have to replace two of them .

Hope the Vento face-lift has this problem sorted.
AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 17:12   #47
Team-BHP Support

Default re: VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
I gave my Vento TDi for 4th service in Volkswagen Whitefield and a day after getting the car back I noticed that center AC vents are broken.
Yes they are very fragile and I now find my left vent broken.
I did not have any issues with the AC vents for last three and half years and within two months I will have to replace two of them.
Your post does seem to line up with the conspiracy theory posted here (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 18:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Your post does seem to line up with the conspiracy theory posted here (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)
After reading through the post, it is interesting to hear that workshops stoop down to this level for making money. On the other hand, the product quality seem to be the main reason for inducing the workshop folks to adapt this practice if it is indeed true.
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 17:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I gave my Vento TDi for 4th service in Volkswagen Whitefield and a day after getting the car back I noticed that center AC vents are broken. I did ask them to clean the AC ducts as part of 4th service and in the process the mechanic has broken the vent. I took the car back to the workshop and after some resistance they agreed to replace it free of cost.

Yes they are very fragile and I now find my left vent broken. I will have to get it replace during my next visit to the workshop. I did not have any issues with the AC vents for last three and half years and within two months I will have to replace two of them .

As I have suspected, the plastic pins that hold the vertical slats in place are deteriorating with time and breaking with the slightest pressure. I have re-inforced the weak spot in all my vents with a bit of ingenuity as I do not want to fight forever with VW for replacements.
I have also tried to bring this to the attention of VW Germany but they have just forwarded my mail to India.
The problem is the design is so fragile and the plastics not up to the mark but VW continues to ignore this fact. Ideally VW should recall and replace all Vento/Polo vents with reliable ones since there are so many complaints in India.

Last edited by techiecal : 30th August 2015 at 17:44.
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 18:01   #50
BHPian

Could not agree more techiecal. AC vents problem is the least one would expect in a 14L car and it would not take lot for VW to fix it if they want to.
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 19:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Actually I also noticed the same. I had given my car to VW Whitefield for 3rd service and I am pretty sure all the vents were OK at that time. And a few days after getting the car back I noticed the driver side vent (single one) was broken. I am pretty sure it was mishandling at the Service Center. Now after 3 years, driving with a broken vent
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 01:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The VW guy assured me that the replacement vents fitted four months ago were not the same as the the previous ones, and would not break in a year or two. Truth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
They replaced it under warranty and so far its been close to 2 years, I haven't faced any issues. The SA at Bangalore updated me that the new ones are different and VW have addressed issues with these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That reminds me, the other day a friend/colleague happened to bring his new Polo Trendline petrol to the office and I had a look. The AC vents in that car had a remarkable difference in the quality compared to what was on mine. It was very flimsy.
Seems we have some slightly contradictory info.

Are the vents in the newer cars of a different design and have they solved the issue? If yes, perhaps they come with a different part number? I believe the old part numbers are 6R0819728BCVAL for the center vents and 6R0819703AGVAL for the left hand side vent (see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...nts-7-copy.jpg). Not sure about the right hand side vent part number.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 20th December 2015 at 01:52.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking of getting the vent from aliexpress and found a seller selling left+right side one for USD 48. Just out of interest explored if it can be fixed DIY and yes theres a video (its also there on the first page) that explains it. Then I again went thru this thread and just out of curiosity opened up the vent to see if it can be fixed! Its very easy to do, just a little pull on one side using a screw-driver and it comes out. Got the front grill out with some difficulty but it did and lo - my good luck: all the vertical slats that had fallen were still intact! They were not broken at all, just fallen down. I fixed them back but as techiecal says - the rail is attached to the base quite flimsily. I think there should have been one more part in this assembly that would lock the rail to the base which is missing! Thats why they come out so easily. Anyway I took two small pieces of plastic, cut a notch in them and fixed that on the base as a cover for the slats on the two ends! And then just dropped a drop of quickfix on that so that it can hold the rail from moving out. And voila! its as good as new!

By the way, the vent is made in germany.i think it is missing one piece to hold the rail to the base and that is why it breaks so easily (if I am not wrong mostly its the vertical slats that come out is the most common problem).

15 mins work saves me a few thousand. And the satisfaction of the DIY work is just priceless!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 08:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I was thinking of getting the vent from aliexpress and found a seller selling left+right side one for USD 48. Just out of interest explored if it can be fixed DIY and yes theres a video (its also there on the first page) that explains it. Then I again went thru this thread and just out of curiosity opened up the vent to see if it can be fixed! Its very easy to do, just a little pull on one side using a screw-driver and it comes out. Got the front grill out with some difficulty but it did and lo - my good luck: all the vertical slats that had fallen were still intact! They were not broken at all, just fallen down. I fixed them back but as techiecal says - the rail is attached to the base quite flimsily. I think there should have been one more part in this assembly that would lock the rail to the base which is missing! Thats why they come out so easily. Anyway I took two small pieces of plastic, cut a notch in them and fixed that on the base as a cover for the slats on the two ends! And then just dropped a drop of quickfix on that so that it can hold the rail from moving out. And voila! its as good as new!

By the way, the vent is made in germany.i think it is missing one piece to hold the rail to the base and that is why it breaks so easily (if I am not wrong mostly its the vertical slats that come out is the most common problem).

15 mins work saves me a few thousand. And the satisfaction of the DIY work is just priceless!
Yes, and if you cut a thin piece of plastic, about 2mm. wide (from the collar stiffener of a new shirt-it's perfect) and give support by super-glueing it to the whole bottom assembly it becomes better than new. I have done it on all four vents and stopped worrying about the slats falling off since then.

Last edited by techiecal : 26th February 2016 at 08:17.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 20:17   #55
Team-BHP Support

Got some good news guys!

A good friend of mine from Hubli - Sheethal, had been to the service center last weekend and I had casually asked him to inquire for the pricing of the driver and co-driver side AC vents since I wanted to replace the ones on mine.

Guess what? Rs. 917 for each! VW has begun sourcing them from local vendors. In this case, the vendor is DeCon India Plastics Ltd. based in Pune.

VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!-img20170916wa0006.jpg

The center vents cost Rs. 1818.

VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!-img20170916wa0011.jpg

VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!-img20170916wa0012.jpg

While one can argue about the quality of the vents not being a match for the imported ones from Slovenia, paying Rs. 5090 for the side vents is just not worth it no matter how you see it!

I've ordered a pair of vents and Sheethal has shipped them last weekend!

VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashed!-img20170916wa0013.jpg

Thanks a bunch man. Your info is definitely going to help a lot of folks out there.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2017 at 20:20.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 22:45   #56
BHPian

Default Re: VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

A good friend of mine from Hubli - Sheethal, had been to the service center last weekend and I had casually asked him to inquire for the pricing of the driver and co-driver side AC vents since I wanted to replace the ones on mine.
Can you share the contact details please? I need the central vents for my "new" pre-worshipped Rapid. This is good news indeed!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2017 at 00:02. Reason: Please quote on relevant sections of posts. Thank you.
Shome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 22:56   #57
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: VW's fragile AC vents: Looking for DIY solutions? EDIT: VW sources from local OEM, prices slashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Can you share the contact details please?
Please contact your nearby service center. They should help you out.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote