Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 30th June 2017, 11:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift

Has anyone found a properly working PY21/5W LED brake lamp without the issues above?
My Indica already has a LED CHMSL, so the incentive to put an LED brake bulb is not so much, but would like to do it if its a cheap fix.

anyone?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Has anyone found a properly working PY21/5W LED brake lamp without the issues above?
My Indica already has a LED CHMSL, so the incentive to put an LED brake bulb is not so much, but would like to do it if its a cheap fix.

anyone?
I am using LED tail/stop lamps since 2015 in my i10.
Had bought from ebay India at cost of Rs 774 for a pair.
That listing is no longer available, but the item was 'CAR BIKE 1157 / BAY15D 5050 SMD 27 LED Tail/Brake Light Dual Circuits Bright'.
Over time, a few of the LEDs have conked off, but the rest of them still works, and the unit as a whole works absolutely fine for the tail lamp & stop lamp functions.
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:54   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Been using Philips PY21W LED since 2014 in Swift and then Polo. Now its in the Octavia sold to friend.

Now using Osram PY21W LED in the Innova Crysta, since a month.

Btw, if you meant no hyperflashing when you said properly working then yes and no. Philips (used to) include resistor kit with their PY LED bulbs and that needs to be connected using included taps. Osram doesn't include the resistor but is available separately. I am not using the resistor in the Crysta instead the flasher can be converted to LED flasher. Yet to do.

Canbus error free read LED bulbs are bulbs with resistors in built. Defeats one of the advantages of LED which is low current consumption. So I rather let it hyperflash (which sort of attracts attention and makes my intention to turn more noticeable) than use resistors if LED flasher is not available.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th July 2017 at 12:03.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 16:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Had initially ordered a set from ebay which i later realized were BA15S (apparently my car has BAU15S, with the angled pins). Ordered the BAU15S also. Got my BA15S, tried it into my BAU15s sockets with some jugaad (strictly not advisable - had to deform the socket a bit to remove it) and found that there is still a bit of lag with turn on, and predictably, my indicator starts to flash rapidly.
Now to wait for my LED flasher relay and the correct bulbs ( so that I can replace all of them)
Old 12th July 2017, 17:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now to wait for my LED flasher relay and the correct bulbs ( so that I can replace all of them)
Hi sir,

Even I finally completed the LED indicators install in my Swift. Here's the link:

LED indicators install
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 17:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hi sir,

Even I finally completed the LED indicators install in my Swift. Here's the link:

LED indicators install
Just curious, why did you opt to install resistors instead of swapping in an LED flasher?
Old 12th July 2017, 17:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, why did you opt to install resistors instead of swapping in an LED flasher?
I think you meant LED flasher relay?

If yes, the indicators in the Swift are wired through the BCM. No separate relay in my car hence all this extra effort.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 23:11   #38

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Lightbulb

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Replaced stock incandescent tail light bulbs with Philips 1157 P21/5 type LEDs in our Wagon R Vxi. Benefits: Super bright output, energy efficient and quick response time, as is expected from LEDs. These are imported ones and still cost too much, but the end results are satisfactory. I am attaching three images- of the package, parking light on and brake light on. The process was a simple DIY requiring a spanner of 10mm, but I am not giving details of opening and reassembling the bulbs, as it closely resembles to the one detailed in the first post relating to Swift.
Please wear gloves or use tissue paper to hold bulbs, as oil and sweat can do harm to the incandescent bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Been using Philips PY21W LED since 2014 in Swift and then Polo. Now its in the Octavia sold to friend.

=====
So I rather let it hyperflash (which sort of attracts attention and makes my intention to turn more noticeable) than use resistors if LED flasher is not available.
From where did you purchase Osram PY21W LEDs? Can you please give me the link, if possible?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-fullsizerender.jpg  

DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-img_1789.jpg  

DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-img_1791.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th July 2017 at 23:35. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
sumitmajumdarin is offline   Reply With Quote