Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 10th July 2015, 09:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DIY: Upgrading the Horn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Great DIY gpa. Thanks for sharing.

One question regarding the following

I have a factory fitted dual horn setup (2013 VMT trim). Do I need a separate relay or existing one should be good enough?

tia,
-BJ
Not required if you already have a dual horn setup
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 09:37   #17
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I have a factory fitted dual horn setup (2013 VMT trim). Do I need a separate relay or existing one should be good enough
Although the VMT version of the Brio has a dual horn setup, its still advisable and safer to fit a relay since the new horns will draw a higher power than the OEM ones. The relay that I bought has a separate 30A fuse as well so in case of any trouble the OEM fuse will be safe.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 12:28   #18

Just my few cents, Relay and its modifications would be required only if the OE circuit cannot take the load. For example, an average Hella full tone horn will consume 72 watts each substituting in formula P=IxV where P= 72 x2, I is what we need to find out and V=12 (battery voltage) formula in this case is I=p/v in this case 142 watts divided by 12 equals 11.* which is the current I consumed by both the horns. If the OE fues is 15 amps or greater then the wiring needs no modification. Just splice and connect both the horns to the existing OE circuit.
Living2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 15:18   #19
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living2Drive View Post
If the OE fues is 15 amps or greater then the wiring needs no modification. Just splice and connect both the horns to the existing OE circuit.
Thanks, for this. The Brio SMT (O) variant that I have has a single OEM horn and not a dual horn like the SMT (V) variant and hence I used a relay. IIRC, the fuse is a 10 AMP one in the car.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 16:25   #20

Thumbs up Re: DIY: Upgrading the Horn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Thanks, for this. The Brio SMT (O) variant that I have has a single OEM horn and not a dual horn like the SMT (V) variant and hence I used a relay. IIRC, the fuse is a 10 AMP one in the car.
hello GPA, in your case what you did was the right thing.
Living2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote