Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 6th January 2016, 15:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: DIY: An overland vehicle on a budget! Storage & sleeping area in a Thar

Hello 911er this DIY project is absolutely brilliant.
Red Panda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 13:08   #17

Default Re: DIY: An overland vehicle on a budget! Storage & sleeping area in a Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
This is a great design. Have one question - how did you fasten the wooden assembly to the vehicle. IF not fastened would it not be rattling and moving around? Besides you need to restrain it at the front otherwise it could push the front seats when you brake suddenly. I am planning to do something similar and with a hard top. I would also like to know if there is any one in this group who can accompany a team to say Myanmar and then to Thailand by the Asian Highway - Overlanding and some hotel stays

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th January 2016 at 14:28. Reason: removing large quoted post
vdumashanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 22:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdumashanker View Post
This is a great design. Have one question - how did you fasten the wooden assembly to the vehicle. IF not fastened would it not be rattling and moving around? Besides you need to restrain it at the front otherwise it could push the front seats when you brake suddenly. I am planning to do something similar and with a hard top. I would also like to know if there is any one in this group who can accompany a team to say Myanmar and then to Thailand by the Asian Highway - Overlanding and some hotel stays

Thank you so much.

Yes, having the storage loose would be a very bad idea. Not only would it move into the front seat, it would also move around and up/down on a bad road or while offroad. I have fastened the entire assembly using 3 bolts on either side. These holes, with welded nuts, are the ones on which the rear seats were mounted. I made a groove in the wood so the bolt would be flush with the top.

To further stop any rattling, I insulated the entire rear cab with heatlon foam. (See photo below). This not only helps stops any squeaks, it also helps insulate sound and heat coming from the rear cab. Let me know if I can help in any way when you're making yours. I'd be happy to!

DIY: An overland vehicle on a budget! Storage & sleeping area in a Thar-insulation-done.jpg
911er is offline   Reply With Quote