Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 26th January 2017, 13:03   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

It is almost 1+year and 14,000KMs after my Vento's headlight was upgraded with Marimoto FX-R 3.0, with 55W ballast and 35W HID bulb.

Post installation I have not faced any issues. It is absolutely how it was on the first day of installation. The focus/alignment and all functionalities including leveling are working as expected. Most importantly, it enabled my long distance night drives.

It was a 100% DIY job over 2 days(Thanks to shashank.nk), and all the parts were brought from TRS and hand-carried to Bangalore from US. We just followed Gannu_1 thread (DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation), but adapted for FX-R.

Last edited by manjubp : 26th January 2017 at 13:11.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 15:38   #122
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
It is almost 1+year and 14,000KMs after my Vento's headlight was upgraded with Marimoto FX-R 3.0, with 55W ballast and 35W HID bulb.

Post installation I have not faced any issues. It is absolutely how it was on the first day of installation. The focus/alignment and all functionalities including leveling are working as expected. Most importantly, it enabled my long distance night drives.

It was a 100% DIY job over 2 days(Thanks to shashank.nk), and all the parts were brought from TRS and hand-carried to Bangalore from US. We just followed Gannu_1 thread (DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation), but adapted for FX-R.
That is fantastic! Good to hear that you are having no issues with your FX-R installation. This proves that if you go for quality components and a clean and reliable install, projector upgrade will definitely work.

How is the fit of the FX-R? When I was installing the projectors, I wanted to go with FX-R, but I found it was too big and was touching the glass of the headlight and could not be adjusted for the full range. Aren't you facing any such issues?
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 08:44   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
How is the fit of the FX-R? When I was installing the projectors, I wanted to go with FX-R, but I found it was too big and was touching the glass of the headlight and could not be adjusted for the full range. Aren't you facing any such issues?
FX-R stage-III, 3 inch one was really a touch and go. We have to redo the work on first setup, as the projector lens was touching the headlight glass. We have to cut the shroud too, more than what we wanted. Dremel tool set was of great help here, along with helping hands of shashank.nk.
Key thing is to tie all the cables appropriately, no loose/hanging/exposed cables or components, good sealing of headlight, prior planning/preparation and lot of patience.

While my DIY went well, I would suggest to go for 2.5inch rather than 3inch, but 3inch can also be well fitted, if planned well. I am sure, if we redo the same, we would do for better job and in much lesser time. If one follows Gannu_1's thread, I am sure the outcome will be satisfactory. In my case, I am happy, no issues till now. Here are few close-ups.

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-img_1596.jpg

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-img_1597.jpg

Last edited by manjubp : 28th January 2017 at 09:02.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 08:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

Last week, I upgraded the headlights to OEM BiXenon projectors.

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-dsc06663_censored.jpg

Documented the DIY in detail in the below thread.

Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 16:58   #125
BHPian

Guys, the new vento highline plus has LED headlights with DRL.

Any idea if this can be retrofitted into the 2016 Polo GT Tsi out of the box?

Supposedly these are the same lights that are in the GTI

And any drawbacks of LED lights?
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 17:26   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Guys, the new vento highline plus has LED headlights with DRL.

Any idea if this can be retrofitted into the 2016 Polo GT Tsi out of the box?

Supposedly these are the same lights that are in the GTI

And any drawbacks of LED lights?
The Vento Highline Plus comes with 089 BCM which supports LED headlights. The one in the Polo GT is 087. So, you will not have all the functions out of the box. You can do a retrofit using a 10 pin to 14 pin converter cable assembly to get the high beam, low beam and turn indicators to work. But you will not have proper DRL support. You will have to wire the DRLs to the parking light and manually turn them on. I think (I may be wrong), you will not be able to implement the manual headlight leveling function. You will have to install AFS with angle sensor for auto leveling of headlights.

From what I read about LEDs vs. BiXenons, the opinions were mixed. Some said LEDs are more bling than performance, while others said LEDs perform equally as the BiXenons. My suggestion would be to take a test drive of the Vento Highline Plus in the night time and see the performance for yourself and then decide.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 14:42   #127
BHPian

Hi graaja, how are your OEM projectors doing after burning them for many hours?
I hope you haven't come across any performance difference since the installation.

Thanks,
keeru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 15:00   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Hi graaja, how are your OEM projectors doing after burning them for many hours?
I hope you haven't come across any performance difference since the installation.

Thanks,
The OEM projectors have been performing brilliantly - touchwood. I have not noticed any drop in performance. But I think it is too early to notice any performance difference.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote