Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 6th June 2016, 17:35   #16
BHPian

Default Re: DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz

Free advice:

Good job, however, it appears that you havnt sanded the surface properly as uneven paint is still visible. Either that, or you havnt given time between layers of paint. Give 4-5 min between light coats rather that heavy thick coat. Spray from distance, not too close. I think patience is a key here for good results.

The 2 sanding blocks that come with com-paint are a joke.

Go to any hardware shop and ask for larger 3M wet sanding emery paper. They are black colour papers. Will make job much easier.

Your painted area is rather large, i would have reduced it along the scratch lines. It appears you have applied too much paste - not necessary in this situation.

Make sure never to paint on the masking tape or it will produce uneven surface lines when you remove the tape. Instead, mask such a way that tape is hidden under the folded newspaper.

After 1 -2 days you may also want to use buffing compound to restore some shine (com-cut) . Avoid rubbing com-cut on other area as it can produce micro scratch.

For larger areas a coat of primer is recommended, followed by a clear coat. Both are available in spray form by other vendors.

Last edited by aerohit : 6th June 2016 at 17:43.
aerohit is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 17:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Great value for money job!

I suppose this outlines the benefits of having a plain white car (no pearlescent/metallic or any other finish). I doubt such an effect will be achieved with other finishes using such a basic diy kit. In my personal experience as well, this white colour has remained the easiest and cheapest to restore in times of accidents whether it be on an Alto or a Superb.
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 18:13   #18
BHPian

This is actually the handiwork of some slouch mean lowly creature who is full of jealousy. These lowly creatures are found in plenty. Search for one and you will find them in millions. I also encountered one such instance wherein someone did a similar stunt on my white Ritz VDI. Could not do anything but just crib as you rightly said that he will forever go uncaught. I am also looking forward to buy one such kit which will help me remove any such scratches on my Ritz. But i have also heard that the kit is not reusable. Means, once the kit is opened, it dries very soon. Then will also buy one for my Honda Mobilio. Please help confirm on this aspect.
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 18:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
EP400 barely feels like sand paper.
Good job there! How smooth is the E400?

I have a helmet with the fog-free coating on the insides of the visor. I accidently scratched the coating while cleaning it. Now that you have experienced a super soft sanding paper, I'd like to know if there are some even smoother sand papers available in the market.

I'm planning to rub off the fog-free coat. A new visor would cost me $40 and then either $65 shipping or a lot of convincing one of my acquaintances in the US. I don't want to do that.

Could I use a buffing machine or a solvent to remove the coating?
MaheshY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 21:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

That is some awesome work! Can you tell me how deep was the scratch? Also the link to the amazon would be great, Its an awesome job for 800rs!
Tanveer_2558 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 23:36   #21
BHPian

The thread looks dry without a full shot of the ride.

Anyways a nice effort and you have reaped the benefits.
Raulspace999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 08:56   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful job! I can especially say that since I have tried my luck in Painting on my Jeep, and I would say the results were faaar from satisfactory.

My only concern would be the quality of the paint. The way I have experienced is, all is well and good when its new, but a year down the line in sunlight these paints starts fading.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 09:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Good job there! How smooth is the E400?

I have a helmet with the fog-free coating on the insides of the visor. I accidently scratched the coating while cleaning it. Now that you have experienced a super soft sanding paper, I'd like to know if there are some even smoother sand papers available in the market.

I'm planning to rub off the fog-free coat. A new visor would cost me $40 and then either $65 shipping or a lot of convincing one of my acquaintances in the US. I don't want to do that.

Could I use a buffing machine or a solvent to remove the coating?
400 is a grade used for body and paint. For your kind of use, go for 1000-1500 or even 2000 grit paper and carefully wetsand the scratch. If it is too deep then start with 1000 and go as high as the sandpaper you can fetch. For example for the headlights of the car I have used 1200 grit emery which smoothened the scratch and later used 3M perfect it compound along with a rotary polisher to restore transparency and gloss.

Back to the topic, its a great job done given white is a difficult colour to match. Instead of the emery pad given in the kit, I covered the pad with my own emery paper and sanded it.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 12:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Honda ASS would have taken thousands and thousands of rupees out of your pocket for that!
I agree that Honda would have charged thousands of rupees but they would have done the whole bonnet and the finish is even better than the factory finish atleast in my case.

I too had a scratch similar to this on a door panel of my Honda Amaze(tafetta white) and quite literally had some sleepless nights. I thought I'd give Compaint a try and got a tafetta white kit from them but it seemed like the paint was not exactly the same shade as my car, it was sligthly off. I masked everything expect the scratch since I was afraid that if I messed up i would have an huge ugly patch instead of a scratch. anyway I was not happy with my result so I ended up going to the dealer and got it painted.
Whiplash7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Congratulations Reihem,

It appears that you have got a perfect spotless surface.

I roughly remember having used these products way back during 2009 when the front bumpers on my Vista picked up some minor scratches. I had followed the procedure mentioned on the product diligently. However I was not very satisfied with the result. Albeit the paint shade did match to the original car surface, however I was unable to get a smooth / undistinguishable seam between the new coat and the original surface. In fact the new paint patch appeared to carry a halo around itself and appeared intimidating so much so that the original surface with the scratch appeared much better in comparison. It was only later I did learn that a better approach would be to paint the entire panel instead, so that the seams turn invisible.

In your case it seems you have got an invisible seam without painting the entire panel. That is really commendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
That is a superb job done. Looks perfect.

One question though - I heard somewhere that the Com-Paint starts to lose color after some time, and starts discoloring. Is that true?
Nope. The paint retains its shade throughout the life of the car.

I painted both the door handles on LHS of the Vista during 2009 and the shade remained aligned with the original body paint all through up to 2016.

Even if one has to assume that this paint indeed loses its shade over time, even then it could be that the fall was in line with the fall in the original shade of the car and thus remained undistinguishable.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 13:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
I agree that Honda would have charged thousands of rupees but they would have done the whole bonnet and the finish is even better than the factory finish atleast in my case.
No doubt a professional paint job would be better.

My comment was in context of the OP's situation - that of having to park the car in a location where there are sadistic vandals. There is no point in spending a lot of money and time to get a perfect spray job, only to be keyed again by a moron soon after. The OP did the smart thing. That is all.
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 14:47   #27
BHPian

Great thread. I have two questions:

1. Is touching up scratches on the bumper a whole different ballgame? Does one get comparable results? Any further precautions?

2. Has anyone tried the Com-Paint kit for Alabaster Silver? Is it just as good? I have a Civic, but it seems that the paint is same for City, Jazz, Brio etc.

Any leads would be much appreciated.
coolvenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 17:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I bought a taffeta white Jazz CVT in August 2015 for my wife. She's an oncologist - she goes to work pretty early (7AM) and comes back late in the evening (7PM). In between the car is parked at the hospital where I have found, amongst other things, monkeys gnawing on the antenna, from the adjacent national park no doubt :-/. No real damage happens during the day time. Around 5 nights a month she stays overnight at the hospital. This is when another kind of monkey comes into play - humans. The car has been 'keyed' on multiple occasions. Usually the scratches are superficial and a little rubbing compound is all that is needed to deal with it.
Thanks a lot for the thread reihem. The timing of this post could not have been more perfect for me. My 3 year old VW polo got two scratches (for the first time!) on the rear bumper last weekend. The scratch is deep and I can clearly see the black color of the frame beneath against silver color of the car. I did a frantic search for quick fixes, and voila; I stumbled upon this. However, even after my hour long search, I could not find Com Paint pack for VW Reflex silver color on the internet. There are hundreds of com paint packs available but could not find one for VW polo reflex silver!?. I will highly appreciate it if anyone could point out to me where to find it.
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 13:51   #29
BHPian

Great job reihem!! I'm inspired to paint my car's bumper again.
Last time I didn't use Clear-coat and the paint turned yellow in about 1.5yrs.

So pls do think about applying Clear-coat as well. It is available on the com-paint website too.
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 01:15   #30
BHPian

As someone who has used com paint "unsuccessfully" - let me tell you that you need to set aside about a couple of hours and go at this. This is not a quick fix, you must follow the instructions precisely or else you will be in a mess.

Remember that you can get a panel painted for 4 to 6k. Also the paint solvent will help you remove any excess paint. But it is very easy to get things wrong the first time and kudos to the OP for doing this successfully
vivekrvcse is offline   Reply With Quote