Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 29th June 2016, 20:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrblr24 View Post
Hi HakunaBatata,

I am also considering the upgrade of the headlight bulbs on my Elite i20. Can you please share the specifications of the bulb you used and their unit cost?

Thanks in advance.

I had ordered the bulbs from amazon for around 700 a bulb. The bulbs are 55/60W, same as the stock bulbs so no additional wiring is necessary.
hakunabatata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 20:45   #17

Default Re: DIY: Upgrading the headlamp bulbs of the Elite i20

Yes, i have installed P8 4300k Kelvin HIDs to match the Nightbreaker Unlimited's output colour and recently, after installing the Active's light on my Elite, the 9005 bulb type has been replaced with P8 6000k Kelvin HIDs 55w. Also, the fog lamp colour temp has also been revised to match the new setup. They both are working fine.
Serendipity_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 13:58   #18
BHPian

Philips Xtreme Vision is a very good option, but unfortunately the bulbs dont go with the projecor lights that Hyundai has on Elite i20 as well as Verna.

I bought these at Rs 2400, a pair, from Powerbulbs.uk based on recommendations; only to realize that projectors have a different holder type.

Has anyone tried upgrading the OEM projector headlamps on Verna or Elite i20? Verna definitely has pathetic lighting on OEM set-up.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:56   #19

Osram Nighbreaker Unlimited comes with a standard fitment for HB3 which is the OEM for the projectors on both Elite and Verna!

Go for this, and you will be happy for atleast 2 years if used appropriately.
Serendipity_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 19:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post

STEP 4: Installing the new Bulbs.

Gently pull out the bulb from the socket, make sure you hold the base of the bulb and not the glass portion as it will break under force.

I just thought I would mention this. It would also be good to not touch the bulb glass to ensure maximum life of the bulb. Touching bulb glass with bare hands may result in oil from skin to deposit on the surface, which becomes a "hot spot" on the bulb during usage, shortening its life.

I think this would matter more for the bulbs with less life, like XV+ and NBU.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 23:54   #21
BHPian

Dear all, I have found the headlights of the Elite i20 quite adequate in the city after I upgraded the headlight bulbs to Osram Night Breakers Unlimited. The highway driving with Full Beam especially in the night leaves a lot to be desired. I have been planning to change the bulbs to HID + Projectors but somehow the idea of opening the headlights is just not fine with me. I have seen i20's with water in the headlights further discouraging me to take this step. But then I have been thinking of alternatives.
Came across an old thread by TSK where-in he had placed a LED bar on his Safari and he was quite satisfied with the results. That got me thinking. Why not install LED bar in the grill itself? Have a look at the image, I have indicated where the LED's should go and if they are of perfect size should fit like a tee.

My concerns for this set-up:
1. Biggest concern - Will this void manufacturer's warranty?
2. Is this setup a bit of an overdo considering that the cost might come to same as retrofitting projectors.
3. Since the lights will not be used in the city I feel the cops will be bit less enthusiast in pulling the car on the side.
4. Will this setup last? I have read mixed reviews about LED's with some saying it really lasts long & some contradicting the claim completely.
5. What about the light sputtering (if that is the term) during rains? Will it be affected?
6. Battery & alternator - Will they be able to take the load especially during long highway runs when they will be continuous use.

Any other tips & suggestions are most welcome.
Attached Images

Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 17:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Came across an old thread by TSK where-in he had placed a LED bar on his Safari and he was quite satisfied with the results. That got me thinking. Why not install LED bar in the grill itself? Have a look at the image, I have indicated where the LED's should go and if they are of perfect size should fit like a tee.

My concerns for this set-up:
1. Biggest concern - Will this void manufacturer's warranty?
2. Is this setup a bit of an overdo considering that the cost might come to same as retrofitting projectors.
3. Since the lights will not be used in the city I feel the cops will be bit less enthusiast in pulling the car on the side.
4. Will this setup last? I have read mixed reviews about LED's with some saying it really lasts long & some contradicting the claim completely.
5. What about the light sputtering (if that is the term) during rains? Will it be affected?
6. Battery & alternator - Will they be able to take the load especially during long highway runs when they will be continuous use.

Any other tips & suggestions are most welcome.
Ok. Let me make one thing absolutely clear. I have not used the LED bull bar but I have rather had a home made LED strip containing some 100 LEDs on a board fitted to the bumper of my maruti 800. And these are my observations.

They did not blow out until now after a monsoon of healthy rains. They do not consume that much power at all. Maybe only slightly more than the brake lights but not more than that (70W i.e. the combined output of your fog lamps). They light up the road brilliantly. But there is a catch. It is only for short range. The white light fades away very soon and so you wont have long range. And I think it is what you want (long range for highway driving). In that case, it is a wasted effort.

By the way, if you make one by yourself, it migh cost you upto 200rs (depending on your size). So, go DIY. But still, not so useful.
aveemashfaq is offline   Reply With Quote