Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 12th October 2016, 15:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Celerio DIY - Fog lights and DRL installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Front fog lamps should not light up unless the headlamp low beams are on. Yours are set up like driving lamps.
But doc, that is how the OE Set up is (at least in most of the cars I have known/Driven)

The OE Fog lamps light up ONLY WHEN the headlight Switch is on "Parking" light position. They remain off irrespective of the Fog light switch's position if the Headlight Switch is on OFF Position.

So ideally, these Fog lights do come on even without the Headlights on.

Quote:
Do the DRLs have a dimming function? They should automatically have their brightness reduced when parking lamps / headlamps are turned on.
Quoting my own response above. DRLs are on all the times while the Ignition is ON except when the headlight switch is turned to Parking position.

That means, DRLs go off whenever Parking lights are headlights are on. That function serves the purpose and logic of a DRL that it should be used strictly as a DRL (and during the day).

In other words, DRLs + Fog Lamps do not function together and nor do the DRLs light up if headlights (Low or High) are on too.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  105.3 KB

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th October 2016 at 16:05.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 16:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need an input from the headlight 'on' position, for the ideal wiring setup. Front fog lamps should not light up unless the headlamp low beams are on. Yours are set up like driving lamps.
Thanks. But I am not aware of any ideal wiring setups. As Parag has mentioned, this is how it is in all my cars and is a manufacturer convention at least in Suzuki. Not sure if there are other conventions with other manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
But doc, that is how the OE Set up is (at least in most of the cars I have known/Driven)

The OE Fog lamps light up ONLY WHEN the headlight Switch is on "Parking" light position. They remain off irrespective of the Fog light switch's position if the Headlight Switch is on OFF Position.

So ideally, these Fog lights do come on even without the Headlights on.
Thanks for clarifying Parag.

Quote:
Yours are set up like driving lamps.
If you would call it that way, then yes. I do use them in place of headlights inside the city since they do a great job in throwing light far, low and wide, and use headlights only in dark stretches or open roads since there is no point in having lights that will reflect off cars ahead of you.

Regarding the DRL thing, Parag had already posted the logic chart, and it is the same as what I have. They dont turn on in the night once the pilot lamps are on.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 21:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts, but had been wanting to post this from sometime, but due to a busy work schedule I couldnt upload. Here are some pictures showing the lumination offered. This will give a better idea than the pictures of my parking area

These are exposure locked pictures to give a fair comparison of the lights with and without the fog lights.

Fog light only
Maruti Celerio DIY - Fog lights and DRL installation-fog.jpg

Low beam with and without FL
Maruti Celerio DIY - Fog lights and DRL installation-lb.jpg

High beam with and without FL
Maruti Celerio DIY - Fog lights and DRL installation-hb.jpg

Seeing the kind of output of the 16W LEDs, I find the 35W H8s on my SX4 to be pathetic. Hence planning to swap them with the same setup too.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote