Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 8th November 2016, 20:45   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Rust-Oleum Automotive Peel Coat : A Plasti Dip alternative for your wheels

Don't you think it's better to use gloves while working with these chemicals?

Even tires and alloys have a lot of chemical residue on them.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 11:12   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Rust-Oleum Automotive Peel Coat : A Plasti Dip alternative for your wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
This thread is a quick product review and process for 'dipping your wheels'! While in no way comprehensive, maybe the stuff I learned along the way would help you if you are planning a similar enterprise. I had been looking for a plastidip alternative in India for the last couple of years now. The change in a vehicle's character was quite astounding with just a change in the color of the wheels. Plus, the ability to go back to stock so easily was just too great to pass up.
Awesome thread!

Whiteknight my doubt is with the cards. I have been preparing for a similar DIY during christmas holidays. I tried inserting cards(i have 2 packs of my visiting cards lying around) into gap between alloy and tyre wall but it does not go in. Should i deflate the tyre first?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 10th November 2016 at 11:14.
saurabh041086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 23:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
This video from Ammo suggests that letters tend to change colors over time if you paint directly and that kinda discouraged me.

Would love to see how this pen fares in a few months time.
The pen that I used for the letters, contains an oil based paint. I do think another coat is due but that was the case right after I finished the first coat couple of weeks ago. Right now, I see no fading, then again, I do see them everyday so it may not be apparent to me.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's some neat work there. I loved the tyre letters more than the alloy paint!

If it were me, I'd have tried to add a bit of contrast to the alloy wheel too - I love such things a bit loud.
Thanks for the appreciation. And you are not alone in appreciating the lettering more than the alloy.

That's the beauty of these rubber based paints. I choose to do a full black but you can just as easily do a single arm of the alloy in a blue or maybe do a red rim job. Phrasing, I know! Do check out the other colors they have. And when you are bored with the current scheme, remove and go with something new! You do also get a matt white from Rustoleum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
I have been following Fonzi and his youtube channel--snip--My results were nowhere as good as yours but still I am impressed with such dips--snip--

You said it costed INR6300 in total whereas your BOM says 6 cans @ 610 and a marker pen @ 350 - so approx cost = INR4000.

Any other inventory in the BOM like gloss spray or clear coats etc - please...
Do let me know if you want any specific help to get similar results. It did take me some experimenting on a trashed washing machine I had lying around, to get my hand steady and getting the spraying motion correct.

Not sure what you mean by BOM but the prices were indicative for all the products that is, Paint, Cards, Masking Tape, et al. Like I said, you probably wouldn't need to spend as much since most of the stuff is available at home or can be substituted with others. Like hard/stiff chart paper for the cards or handkerchiefs for the Mask. But do be safe.

I didn't use any other clear or gloss coats. But do know that a rubber based paint behaves differently from oil or water-based paints. You need to paint each succeeding layer before the last one has completely dried. This is to allow each layer to bond and make removal easier, as well as, to get that depth in the paint. The timing between layers will differ based on atmospheric conditions--I averaged a time of about 7-8 minutes between coats. When the top of the last coat has dried, you'll notice the change in color. A fresh shot of paint looks glossy and as soon as you see it it 90% matted over, it's time for another shot of paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Don't you think it's better to use gloves while working with these chemicals?

Even tires and alloys have a lot of chemical residue on them.
Yes absolutely. I actually forgot to list gloves because the ones I used were really poor and I removed them after the first coat. Agreed, safety is paramount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Whiteknight my doubt is with the cards. I have been preparing for a similar DIY during christmas holidays. I tried inserting cards(i have 2 packs of my visiting cards lying around) into gap between alloy and tyre wall but it does not go in. Should i deflate the tyre first?
Well, I think that depends on when you tried inserting the cards. If the wheels were on the car when you tried, it would be under additional pressure and would maintain a hard seal between tyre and alloy. However, once its dismounted from the vehicle, you do manage to get enough space to insert the cards. In any case, if you absolutely don't get any space, deflating once its off the vehicle will definitely help. If the wheel is still mounted, I'm not sure deflating will help. I would totally recommend removing the wheels.
thewhiteknight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 09:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I think that depends on when you tried inserting the cards. If the wheels were on the car when you tried, it would be under additional pressure and would maintain a hard seal between tyre and alloy. However, once its dismounted from the vehicle, you do manage to get enough space to insert the cards. In any case, if you absolutely don't get any space, deflating once its off the vehicle will definitely help. If the wheel is still mounted, I'm not sure deflating will help. I would totally recommend removing the wheels.
I tried it when i took the car for wheel rotation last week. Wheels were lying on ground. I will give it a try with cards having a mild plastic(which looks like your cards had) coating . May be my ordinary visiting card was not strong enough.
saurabh041086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 17:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by BOM but the prices were indicative for all the products that is, Paint, Cards, Masking Tape, et al.
By BOM I meant, BILL OF MATERIAL
arunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 17:35   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Painting Advise

Quote:
I left it where it was because I need a break really. Despite wearing a mask, the paint fumes were getting to me and I needed to clear my throat with something dark and cool...which really took 3 hours to clear!
The spray from rubber paint and the solvents can be really bad for you. Get an N95 respirator mask. Or even better, get an N99 mask that also has activated carbon filter for a small addition to the bill of materials.

This will remove 99% very fine particles and most of the volatile compounds from the air you are breathing.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote