Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 3rd June 2008, 15:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

No luck in finding the central console fitments of either the Scorpio or the Indigo XL. Purchased two AC vents of a ZEN for Rs 200. I liked the opel ones as they were quite sleek but the guy quoted Rs 600 for them.
Even the Ac supply fan is not moving air worth its while and I have found that if i let the pipes blow directly into the vents the air flow is much better and is reasonably ok. So for now I plan to leave it as such without the fan till I can find a fan which fits into the space and moves air too.
The vents have been mounted horizontally and bonded together with duct tape and insulated covering. The pipes have been screwed onto the neck of coke bottles again cut around the neck and the open portion is being wrapped around the vent inlets.Had to cut a small semi circlular arc in the plastic console by the side of the hand brake lever for the pipes to come out. After this I ahve wrapped a plastic sheet around the bottles and then stuck them onto the vents to secure the joints.
I also tried to put air through a smaller pipe into the glove compartment and it worked fine till I tried to close the thing up. I realised that I have cut the hole for the pipe bang in the middle of the trajactory of the lever which opens and closes the door hinge of the box.ahaa now i have a big gaping hole there while i need to drill another one for the pipe now. Any suggestions on how to close that hole now?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

@wander... how about sharing some pictures of the installation?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:36   #18
BHPian

Some intresting DIY. Can you add some pictures to the post.
visu03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Will definately do so. But I am away for a month long drive and once I come back I will put up the pics. The project has been put in suspended animation for now as my wife has given an ultimatum that I better help her pack (we leave on friday) and take care of my project after we return in July.
For now the pipes etc are all in place and I have realised that if I leave the pipes just like that beneath the arm rest console it gives out more air than if I add the vents. After carefully examining the vents I suppose that the close shut trap inside the vents( the one which helps in closing the flow of air) is perhaps the culprit. So I might end up removing it and then seeing if the flow of air increases.
Also please guys see if you can find an exhaust fan somewhere which will fit into a space of 5 inches by 5 inches and runs on 12V DC but moves some serious amount of air.
Will be touching Goa, Kochi, Bangalore, ooty, Hyderabad, Mysore in the coming days. So if any of you guys can find one in these towns please help and ill pick it up.
Old 9th July 2008, 17:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Finally the mod is complete and is working satisfactorily. Will upload pics very soon but here is a brief about the set up.
1. Used two collapsible pipes to carry the cooled air from the front floor vents. The collection chamber is made of two coke bottles cut from the neck to form a funnel. The pipes have been screwed onto the necks of the bottles.
2. The middle portion of the bottle has been made hollow on both sides and form the clooection chamber for the air carried throught he pipes.
3. The two Aircon vents (side vents of a Zen) have been mounted side by side and taped together and also screwed together using a small wire twisted around two holes drilled along the side walls to keep both of them together.
4. Two 12V cooling fans from the CPU AC supply ahve been mounted on one end of the hollow bottle tube, one after another so that both of them move in tandem. The middle part fo this hollow tube has now two bottle necks glued into its side onto which the air discahrge ends of the pipes have been screwed on. This way the air is being discharged in front of the fans.
5. The other part of the hollow bottle tube has been duct traped onto the air vents. Then the entire setup has been wrapped in a plastic sheet and then again duct taped.
6. This fixture has been moutned beneath the hand rest mounts in between the two front seats.
The air flow is good and uniform. If the fans are switched on the air flow increases considerably but I have found that it works best when the original blower speed is kept at either No 1 or No 2 position.
Old 9th July 2008, 17:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your setup dude .. it seems to have been a very interesting DIY.

One suggestion would be to ensure that the fans be connected via a fuse for safety purposes if you intend to use them for sustained periods of operation.

I will wait for the pictures....
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 19:36   #22
BHPian

Nomad, would appreciate pictures of the setup. Sounds like a very interesting DIY.
dinu2506 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 00:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

sorry guys was just a mite too busy. Will post the pics of the rear seat aircon vents by tomorrow. I was infact testing them for all these days and they have been surprisingly sucessful.
Old 28th July 2008, 17:08   #24
BHPian

I had forgotten about this thread. Keenly awaiting the results.
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 20:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pictures:-
1. It is how the vents look from the rear. The first shot is if you are sitting right in the middle of the back seat. Second shows the view as seen from the eye level i.e. this is how they look if you see them sitting. The third shot shows you the side view behind the drivers seat.
The thing on top of the vents is the arm rest in the middle which covers the vents and forms a sort of housing.
Attached Images

wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 20:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

This set shows you the front assembly. The two white pipes in the first picture are carrying air one to the rear vent (left side) while the top one is carrying air to the glove box to turn it into a sort of chiller.
The second picture shows the setup from a wider angle and depicts how the pipes are positioned in front of the front part of the central console which then carries the pipes to the rear.

The third and fourth pictures show the pipe position in the glove box. It needs to be changed and am working on putting a foil covering inside the glove box to insulate it even better.
Attached Images

wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 20:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

This set shows the pipe layout through the central console and the two 12V DC fans working in tandem to force blow the air out. The third picture shows the fan position with the hand brake lever engaged while the next one shows it in normal disengaged position.
Attached Images

wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 20:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

The first picture shows the switch to control the fans. The rest of the photos show the wide angle shots of the entire setup.
Attached Images

wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 20:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

The small issues are there like the voilet coloured pins holding the things together and ofcourse then there is the issue relating to the wire setup which will be sorted out very soon.
Open to comments and suggestions to improve the mod further. Incase you need any specific angled shots do let me know.
Old 29th July 2008, 16:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Open to comments and suggestions to improve the mod further.

In this setup what is the position of the direction controller knob? I assume it has to be the face level + foot position. So does it in any way reduce the efficacy of the face level circulation?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote