Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2013, 15:25   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: Rear A/c vents DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Some thoughts:

1) How strong is the air-flow from under the front seats? I'd imagine its already quite weak, and extending the pipes is barely going to make a noticeable difference.

2) Why don't you build in some sort of electric fan instead. Either below the front seats (computer fans? but they might be noisy), or on the center console.

cya
R
Rehan, I had played around with this idea a lot and put it into use as well. My two observations:
1. Using a fan after the pipe outlet creates turbulance which disrupts the flow of air into a predefined direction.
2. Using a fan in between the pipe outlet and the vent creates more noise and also creates back flow of air and the air speed also gets decreased.
3. There is never enough space to plonk an auto ac blower unit.

My experience is using a higher blower speed on the AC controls and narrowing the pipe end outlet creates enough air flow to make the rear passengers feel the cold air flowing to them.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 18:18   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 71
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

Most hatchbacks do not have AC vents in the rear. While the front passengers get a fairly good experience of air conditioning, the rear passengers feel let down.

My Wagon R (New model) is driven by my driver and if I chose to sit on the rear, I got comfort of travel but found the air -conditioner inadequate. If I chose to sit in the front the AC was good but with the seat belt the experience was uncomfortable. My wife too complained about the AC not cooling.

I was thinking of options, even seriously considering rear ducting for the car when I bounced upon a crazily simple idea. I removed the front headrests (both) and the result is astounding. They were blocking a lot of direct air.

My wife is all smiles and sitting at the back I rarely need to regulate the ac on 3 (only on very hot days) and most of the time it is either 2 and in nights even 1.

Admittedly no one sits on the left side of the driver in the front of my car so the rear cooling is better without a person to obstruct. But even when I sit directly behind the driver, it is much cooler. The logic is that the driver's neck stops much less of ac air than the head rests which are very broad.

This is no technology; I am afraid but simple common sense. And it is giving me rich dividends by way of comfort.

Yes the holes left by the removal on the front sit looks ugly. But I do not miss their comfort when I am driving because never in my driving could I ever rest my head on these headrests without being uncomfortable. I always wondered why they are there in the first place.

The good part is that my car, with the headrests gone, looks much more open and spacious and a big car!

Cheers

Last edited by syravi : 8th August 2014 at 18:19. Reason: one spello
syravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 18:22   #63
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 587
Thanked: 479 Times
Default Re: Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

Installing some some blower which connects with the existing AC duct seems a complected task. What I would prefer is fitting a blower like which comes in Sunny.

Major issue is in the cars not having rear AC is the lack of the air circulation at the back side. The blower will suck relatively cooler air from front portion and will circulate it in better manner at the rear portion.

Installing such blower is less complicated, cost effective and somehow will do the job to some extent. You only need to connect power into it. Only exercise left is finding one such blower along with housing. Maybe inquire at the Nissan/Renault workshops for the part comes in Sunny/Scalla.

Removing headrests are hazardous from safety point of view.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th August 2014 at 18:26.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 18:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

You can simply recline the front L seat to the maximum, away from the rear passenger. That way, you don't have to remove the head rest and will be a better arrangement in case you need the front seat to be occupied.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 18:28   #65
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 781
Thanked: 797 Times
Default Re: Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
Most hatchbacks do not have AC vents in the rear. While the front passengers get a fairly good experience of air conditioning, the rear passengers feel let down.

My Wagon R (New model) is driven by my driver and if I chose to sit on the rear, I got comfort of travel but found the air -conditioner inadequate. If I chose to sit in the front the AC was good but with the seat belt the experience was uncomfortable. My wife too complained about the AC not cooling.

I was thinking of options, even seriously considering rear ducting for the car when I bounced upon a crazily simple idea. I removed the front headrests (both) and the result is astounding. They were blocking a lot of direct air.

My wife is all smiles and sitting at the back I rarely need to regulate the ac on 3 (only on very hot days) and most of the time it is either 2 and in nights even 1.

Admittedly no one sits on the left side of the driver in the front of my car so the rear cooling is better without a person to obstruct. But even when I sit directly behind the driver, it is much cooler. The logic is that the driver's neck stops much less of ac air than the head rests which are very broad.

This is no technology; I am afraid but simple common sense. And it is giving me rich dividends by way of comfort.

Yes the holes left by the removal on the front sit looks ugly. But I do not miss their comfort when I am driving because never in my driving could I ever rest my head on these headrests without being uncomfortable. I always wondered why they are there in the first place.

The good part is that my car, with the headrests gone, looks much more open and spacious and a big car!

Cheers

Are you driving your car without headrests? If so, please put it back as headrests are the only protection against whiplash injuries. These injuries can happen within city driving as well due to sudden braking etc.

Regarding cooling, yes my i20 also has this problem but dont think we can do much about it I guess.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 18:50   #66
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,567 Times
Default Re: Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

In the first place, I would suggest you check if there is no blocking of Air from the vents and if its blowing properly when Fan speed is at maximum.

Once upon a time, long ago, for the first time, rear seat passengers complained that there wasn't adequate cooling at the rear of my WagonR. I was surprised as they were regular co-passengers from my family on a long drive with me.

Took it to the ASC and how quickly they ascertained that the air flow at full fan speed was inadequate and merely cleaned the Fan blower cleaning underneath the Dash behind the glovebox that made the car lighter by at least 500 grams of dust.

(This Model of WagonR (2006) aren't happy to help AC filter fit inside them you see)

Drove it back again and I realized that the AC was perfectly cooling at Fan speed of 1 itself.

Not sure about the Blue eyed Boy WagonR, but the F10D indeed had a very good AC from my experience all these years. More so for the fact that the actual volume inside the Tallboy is higher than a typical hatch due to its height and even then it cools better.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 13:19   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,439
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default Re: Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

Please put those headrests back on! They prevent whiplash injury during a crash to a large extent.

There are several DIY projects you can watch to create your own rear aircon vents. BUT before you do that, and after you have put those headrests back on, please have your car's AC checked because I also own a Wagon R (1st gen) and the one thing it excels at is cooling performance from the airconditioner. The cabin is fairly small and the AC does a brilliant job so it seems very uncharacteristic for you to be experiencing such poor air-conditioning. Please have it checked by the ASC because I'm sure something is wrong (unless the newer Wagon Rs have inferior capabilities in this aspect) and if they quote some high price, just go to your local car AC specialist

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th August 2014 at 13:20.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 14:37   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,116
Thanked: 3,490 Times
Default Re: Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

I saw a guy in noida get this fitted on his scorpio, maybe 2, 3 months back.
Cost him about 1500 bucks, and made a fair amount of difference.
I dont how well this will hold in your car, without making it seem smaller, but driving without headrests is going to be painful for the front guys even in minor collisions.
Give it a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-9079.jpg  

mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 14:50   #69
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default Re: Rear Air Conditioning in Hatchbacks like Wagon R

My old wagon r was quite good. Especially after we got the gas recharged.

Even did a Hyderabad Chennai run in peak summer with my daughter in the rear seat. She uses a child seat.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 17:19   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 71
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents

Thanks to you all, I have learned a new safety feature of the headrest against whiplash injuries. Will definitley put back the headrests.
syravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 20:45   #71
BHPian
 
sathish81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Manza-A/c blower for rear seat

Mods please delete this thread if this is already discussed.


Hi All

I own a 2010 Indigo Manza. The cooling on the rear seat is ineffective .Now, i am not really sure if this was a day 1 issue (which i doubt ) or we are noticing it more now due to following factors:

1.More usage of rear bench when going going out with our daughter.
2. No sun protection on the car.

I dont want to do any band aid workarounds in terms of sun protection (stick on types, screens etc), for the reason that my office is at a place where cops usually catch violators. I see atleast 1 car with sun protection caught by them everyday.

The other option i was thinking about is installing additional cooling for rear bench. I have considered following options:

1. One of those cheap mini fans- i ruled them out for the same reason we are hesitant about using pedestal fan at home.Dont want to take chances with our naughty daughter.

2. Installing a powerful compressor/blower combo- This might affect engine power ( i am ok with mileage taking a minor hit), but the real issue i see with this is cost and extensive modification.

3. Installing a roof mounted or floor mounted blower for rear bench- This seems to be the most viable option to me.

Has anyone done such a install before ? Any idea of cost involved and where i can get it done in Chennai?

Any other suggestions to tackle this issue?
sathish81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 22:35   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: Manza-A/c blower for rear seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Mods please delete this thread if this is already discussed.


Hi All

I own a 2010 Indigo Manza. The cooling on the rear seat is ineffective .Now, i am not really sure if this was a day 1 issue (which i doubt ) or we are noticing it more now due to following factors:

1.More usage of rear bench when going going out with our daughter.
2. No sun protection on the car.

I dont want to do any band aid workarounds in terms of sun protection (stick on types, screens etc), for the reason that my office is at a place where cops usually catch violators. I see atleast 1 car with sun protection caught by them everyday.

The other option i was thinking about is installing additional cooling for rear bench. I have considered following options:

1. One of those cheap mini fans- i ruled them out for the same reason we are hesitant about using pedestal fan at home.Dont want to take chances with our naughty daughter.

2. Installing a powerful compressor/blower combo- This might affect engine power ( i am ok with mileage taking a minor hit), but the real issue i see with this is cost and extensive modification.

3. Installing a roof mounted or floor mounted blower for rear bench- This seems to be the most viable option to me.

Has anyone done such a install before ? Any idea of cost involved and where i can get it done in Chennai?

Any other suggestions to tackle this issue?
If money is not much of a constraint visit a good AC shop and ask them to lay a hollow routing from either the floor vents in the centre console or from the left and right dash points and run it to the B pillar. There in the cladding itself they can give you the vents for rear seat.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:48   #73
BHPian
 
sathish81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
If money is not much of a constraint visit a good AC shop and ask them to lay a hollow routing from either the floor vents in the centre console or from the left and right dash points and run it to the B pillar. There in the cladding itself they can give you the vents for rear seat.
Thanks wanderernomad. Would this involve drilling holes on the chassis itself? Any rough idea on cost involved?

Also, are there any "universal" roof mounted/ floor fitted blowers i can buy online? would auto Ac shops stock them ?
sathish81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:17   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents

Yes there are many universal roof mounted blowers available but keeping in view the ceiling height of Manza that may not be a good option.
Merely routing the piping and providing the vents on B pillar will not entail any drilling on the chassis. Should cost you around 5000 INR.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Cleaning the WagonR's air-con blower audioholic DIY - Do it yourself 29 19th April 2016 09:19
Air-con: Center vents throwing out warmer air than side vents? 90Horses Technical Stuff 82 7th July 2015 16:03
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift a4anurag DIY - Do it yourself 18 14th May 2015 20:15
Odd sound from Air-con vents mvaidy Technical Stuff 15 19th January 2015 07:45
DIY: Cleaning under the Dashboard (including air-con coil) wanderernomad DIY - Do it yourself 11 9th June 2014 21:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks