Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 8th July 2010, 18:20   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Wow, at Rs 181, this is a very nice to thing to have in the LXis. I wonder why Maruti didn't provide such features in these cars in the first place. At less than 200 Rs, it is not a major impact on the manufacturing cost right?

It seems Maruti just want to deprive LXi custimers off with such useful features, just for the sadistic pleasure
True. Maruti is being penny-wise and pound foolish. Their cost would be much less than Rs.181 but the value to the cutomer would be worth much more. I am told that this feature is reintroduced in the recent models, but I am not sure.
Fusspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 18:43   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice stetp by report of the effort Fusspot, thanks for sharing

As for why Maruti skipped well i too was of the same opinion that are being cheap but apparently this functionality needs to be installed manually & removing this reduces the time taken on the assembly line or so I was told.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 10:16   #198
BHPian

hi all
I set out to so this thing. Now my Alto is the standard version (2005) and does not have even the fuel opener switch. When I removed a section of the carpet, i see that there is a hole where the Fuel+remote boot lid switch needs to be mounted, but it does not have screw. The hole itself is a little rectangular, and i suspect it would need a nut on the other side (which is not accessible).
Did not anyone else face this problem? Any one able to install the switch on the Standard model, which does not have any switch at all???

Thanks!
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:15   #199
BHPian

The screw fits into a plastic nut which can be fixed into the hole. Not sure where you can get it though.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 21:02   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The screw fits into a plastic nut which can be fixed into the hole. Not sure where you can get it though.
Got this part! Cant stop admiring Maruti's service and spares network. Your post indeed helped me to understand explain this part at ESSAR motors. BTW they are very very competent at identifying the parts.
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 10:26   #201
BHPian

@Fusspot, thanks for the excellent article and step by step procedure

One Question, can this be installed in the M800 also ?
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:57   #202
BHPian

@ Fusspot,
It was a very well written and pictorially represented article amigo. My LXI has got the remote fuel lid opener but not the boot. Thank you for the part numbers and the source. Looks like I'll be pretty busy next weekend to do this stuff! My first ever DIY and I'm super excited!

Cheers!
-Z
Zombie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 20:45   #203
BHPian

Fusspot thanks a million for the pictorial representation as I have been looking for this option more than 6 months,Its like a boon for alto owners working in MNC's as we have to get the boot checked daily while entering office.
arcotsrinivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 11:59   #204
BHPian

Smile Job Done, Finally!

After a long time since the thread croped up first, I was able to get hold of the spares last week - not that the spares were unavailable - it was just lazy me.

Got the install done today at Tune Up plus in Baner....work done neatly, boot opener works like a charm. Spares cost Rs.186, Labour steep at Rs350.

Still its really worth it as it'd be easy every mornng for security check at office gates. I am happy.
Rodie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 13:10   #205
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusspot View Post
Maruti is being penny-wise and pound foolish. Their cost would be much less than Rs.181 but the value to the cutomer would be worth much more.
Absolutely ! The convenience this feature offers is very many times its ultimate over-the-counter price - one would think Maruti would actively pursue the design & availability of such features.

That said, I'm not sure if this was axed because of cost-cutting (?) or because it saves time during assembly. After all, when you can sell 28,000 Altos a month, you have just 93 secs to put an Alto together - even if you're operating 24x7 for 30 days !

An even more ridiculous thing is Maruti doing away with the metallic chrome insignias on the Altos now ! They're now stickers I sure hope the guy who thought that up (most probably an MBA-type time-&-motion-efficiency "expert") was not given a raise this year !
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 09:06   #206
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Remote Boot Opener in ALTO LXi - Edit: Info on Pg 3 & 8 and a Detailed DIY on pg

Few days back got hold of the striker. Pic attached. Though i am unable to find the lever and cable. Visited 2 MGP shops in the city but neither they stock them nor are they willing to get one for me. Don't know what to do now.
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Boot Opener in ALTO LXi - Edit: Info on Pg 3 & 8 and a Detailed DIY on pg 13-image0806.jpg  

Remote Boot Opener in ALTO LXi - Edit: Info on Pg 3 & 8 and a Detailed DIY on pg 13-image0807.jpg  

samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 12:07   #207
BHPian

Default Re: Remote Boot Opener in ALTO LXi - Edit: Info on Pg 3 & 8 and a Detailed DIY on pg

^^^ Usually this is the most difficult to source part..

Look around, you should get the lever somewhere and cable is also usually easy to find..

EDIT: Cable can also be sourced from some other make/model, the one with suitable lenght should fit..

Last edited by cyclops : 5th April 2011 at 12:11.
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 13:08   #208
Senior - BHPian

I didn't knew this part is difficult to source.Good for me. Anyways what should be the length of the cable.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 15:23   #209
BHPian

Smile Re: Remote Boot Opener in ALTO LXi - Edit: Info on Pg 3 & 8 and a Detailed DIY on pg

Below is my experience for installing it;

Though I got it done around a year back, but posting it now as I got my team-bhp membership a few days back only.

I had read this thread multiple time and wanted this in my Alto. I took a printout of parts list mentioned in by sabret00th2 in post #65. So one weekend when I was in my hometown (Kurukshetra) i went to the only Maruti dealer in town, Karnal Motors. The service assitant I talked to, told me to wait for 1hr, then only he'll be able confirm if they have the required parts or not.

So rather than waiting, I went to another MASS, Kartar Motors and talked to owner. He was surprised to see that I was carrying the list of maruti parts with proper part no, and asked from where I got it. Told him about team-bhp with a big smile on my face. Anyways, one of the parts was not avaialble, but he immidiately confirmed from their supplier that part can be made avilable by next day. So next day part arrived as per promise and installation was done in 1hr.

Since then I am happily using this (and also showing off to my friends). In fact with this fitting and other installation like central locking, after market power windows (with automatic up module) my friends are say that I am driving an Alto Zxi .
kamboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 16:01   #210
BHPian

I too have done this to my alto 2004 lxi but the only difference being the Sah and Sanghi Dealer at lower parel fitted it for me way back in 2004 when the car was new , with oem parcel tray and nippon security system and kenwood music system . Just recently I added power windows (2) and auto wind up module from auto cop and changed rear 6x9 speakers to jbl. Car has done 27 k in about 7 yrs and is still going fine , I treat it like my second daughter !!!

Last edited by anky : 1st July 2011 at 16:02. Reason: wrong spelling
anky is offline   Reply With Quote