Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 12:33   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,786
Thanked: 16,930 Times
Default Re: Headlight Restoration

You also get one from 3M. It can be applied by hand. Requires a lot of buffing and works decently, unless you were using high wattage bulbs and the plastic is burnt
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 12:47   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,389
Thanked: 5,259 Times
Default Re: Headlight Restoration

Post a pic of your headlight so that we can see if the reflector is gone or the lens.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 12:59   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Headlight Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
You also get one from 3M. It can be applied by hand. Requires a lot of buffing and works decently, unless you were using high wattage bulbs and the plastic is burnt
Link plz? If this is the one you're talking about (3M Headlight Lens Restoration System (Rs. 2699)), it may not be best suited to me, as it states "Utilizes the muscle power of a common household (1200-1600 rpm) drill to do all the necessary sanding and buffing".

Yes I have been using 100/90w bulbs since last 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Post a pic of your headlight so that we can see if the reflector is gone or the lens.
Will click and post later. Untill then, this pic (left) describes the condition of my headlight the best. It's the lens which is cloudy.
Name:  51TyGLWjhML.jpg
Views: 3938
Size:  51.7 KB
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 13:04   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,786
Thanked: 16,930 Times
Default Re: Headlight Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Link plz? If this is the one you're talking about (3M Headlight Lens Restoration System (Rs. 2699)), it may not be best suited to me, as it states "Utilizes the muscle power of a common household (1200-1600 rpm) drill to do all the necessary sanding and buffing".

Yes I have been using 100/90w bulbs since last 2 years.

Will click and post later. Untill then, this pic (left) describes the condition of my headlight the best. It's the lens which is cloudy.
Attachment 585875
Nishant that means that your headlamps are burnt and faded from the inside due to the high wattage.

The restoration kits work for outside fading like driving on sandy roads which is like sand blasting or parked in sun for long time.

Not much can be done for inside damage.

Even the mothers require a drill or powerball as they call it.

These can be applied by hand but they require a hell lot of manual labour in buffing. They work best with the drill as it is easier.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 15:22   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Headlight Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Will click and post later. Untill then, this pic (left) describes the condition of my headlight the best. It's the lens which is cloudy.
Attachment 585875
Feel the outside surface of headlamp. If it appears rough & uneven instead of glossy. Then, it is probably dust that has got embedded in the outer layer of plastic due to heat facilitated 'diffusion'. Try a 100-150 rupee liquid rubbing compound from 3M ,manually. If it responds well, go to a bodyshop & ask them to buff it up using the liquid rubbing compound. They have a similar attachment for polishing cars. Be sure to remove the headlight from the vehicle & also, ask them to select a low rpm so that the lens does not crack.

The 3M product is compatible with machine application also.

Last edited by JustCause : 31st July 2011 at 15:24. Reason: additional details added
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 19:34   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Feel the outside surface of headlamp. If it appears rough & uneven instead of glossy. Then, it is probably dust that has got embedded in the outer layer of plastic due to heat facilitated 'diffusion'. Try a 100-150 rupee liquid rubbing compound from 3M ,manually. If it responds well, go to a bodyshop & ask them to buff it up using the liquid rubbing compound. They have a similar attachment for polishing cars. Be sure to remove the headlight from the vehicle & also, ask them to select a low rpm so that the lens does not crack.

The 3M product is compatible with machine application also.
Yes, the outside surface of the headlamp feels rough/coarse. It is most definitely from the outside.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 14:16   #22
BHPian
 
k_shanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: KL - TEN
Posts: 353
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Nice job there. This is one useful tip which many people dont know, even i thought of sharing it. I had done the same very recently, and ended up with good results.
BTW, I dint know the existence of plastic polish, is it the same trims/dashboard shiner?

I had waxed the interior of the lights also, it also helped to a good extend. But removing the glass from the headlight is a big task which require lot of patience.

Last edited by k_shanz : 19th December 2011 at 14:19.
k_shanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 19:34   #23
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

My Swift had a foggy LHS headlight, Formula1 Scratch Out + rubbing in circular motion all over did the trick for me.
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 19:44   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 277 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Brilliant! All I have to do now is wait for my car to get old
In my case of CAMRY which is 8 yrs old ,earlier owner had replaced both the headlights and tail lights assly just few months backand now they look brand new at present. I will apply this method when lights become old..
which will take ages as both the head lights and tail lights are original JAPAN made ,unlike those cheap china or malysian makes.Rubb Rakhaa
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 20:03   #25
BHPian
 
Jayant..B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mango Town
Posts: 90
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

My Santro is 7 years old and the headlights were becoming yellowish. After reading these posts, today rubbed the headlight lens with toothpaste for about 10 mins each and what a surprise! The effect is amazing and headlights look much much better now. Forgot to take pictures so cannot post here.
Jayant..B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 00:46   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KL41-MH14
Posts: 72
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
My Swift had a foggy LHS headlight, Formula1 Scratch Out + rubbing in circular motion all over did the trick for me.
Could you give detailed instructions please?

I have formula one scratch out with me, and turtle carnauba wax (and the sponge applicator that came with the wax)
What else do i need? sandpaper?,what cloth? how often to spray water? Anything to be careful of?

The RHS light of my dads palio is almost opaque now. LHS is only marginally better.The outside surface of both have become rough to touch
This will be a great thing if it works

Thanks in advance
Joe

Last edited by Joe-Ker : 20th December 2011 at 01:14.
Joe-Ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 15:01   #27
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
Could you give detailed instructions please?

I have formula one scratch out with me, and turtle carnauba wax (and the sponge applicator that came with the wax)
What else do i need? sandpaper?,what cloth? how often to spray water? Anything to be careful of?

The RHS light of my dads palio is almost opaque now. LHS is only marginally better.The outside surface of both have become rough to touch
This will be a great thing if it works

Thanks in advance
Joe
I didnt do add-ons, for me the rubbing itself was enough. Try circular rubbing the scratch out with a yellow cloth or that sponge on the headlights for some time and wipe it with a clean cloth.

Last edited by RIC.BURNS : 20th December 2011 at 15:02.
RIC.BURNS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:44   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai/ KSA
Posts: 240
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

I just tried the suggested toothpaste cleanup. Happy to report that the results were excellent!
Regards,
Ashphil
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 19:16   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KL41-MH14
Posts: 72
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
I didnt do add-ons, for me the rubbing itself was enough. Try circular rubbing the scratch out with a yellow cloth or that sponge on the headlights for some time and wipe it with a clean cloth.
Thanks!
Reaching back home on 23rd. Let this be my Xmas present to the Palio
Will post pics once done
Joe-Ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 22:55   #30
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Saw this on ZigWheels today. It looks like a pro stuff, could be costlier for car owner on one time job.

New 3M headlight repair kit hits store shelves
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help - Dull or lifeless power steering on my Swift abhaybakshi Technical Stuff 12 13th October 2016 21:36
Please be Warned: Sparkle Car Spa @ Forum and Garuda Mall Bangalore. Tassem Modifications & Accessories 13 26th June 2014 11:45
My new Hyundai i20 CRDi ASTA Sparkle Blue mvj1976 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 10th January 2012 19:01
Dull hammering sound from Suzuki Zeus. Is it normal. Spotty91 Motorbikes 11 29th June 2010 12:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks