Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 16th March 2012, 11:31   #31
BHPian

Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

tried the toothpaste - improvement, but only very slight.

I just bought Meguair's Plast X from automall.in - didn't want to blow money on a restorer kit.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 23:45   #32
BHPian

Default Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
tried the toothpaste - improvement, but only very slight.

I just bought Meguair's Plast X from automall.in - didn't want to blow money on a restorer kit.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.
superb product! unfortunately, no before/after snaps since I did this at my basement parking

The product is a white thick paste and is very easy to apply. I buffed with a MF cloth. The headlights immediately appeared much cleaner.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 13:11   #33
BHPian

My car is 10 years old santro.
The lights have dulled out.
The reflector have gone a little bit.
All the effect due to the high volt bulb I have been running.
Anyways I think its worth the try so going to use the toothpaste trick.

Can anyone suggest the best toothpaste for this?
Or can i use pumice powder?

I don't wanna scratch my headlight with any kind of sand paper.

What is a wet sand paper?
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:01   #34
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Verna's headlights have got dull from the inside, any suggestions on how I can restore it back to its original glory. I am looking for a professional in Bangalore who can help in getting the old spark back again.

Looking forward for your suggestions.

Regards,
Sajan
Attached Images

sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 17:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi Guys,

My Verna's headlights have got dull from the inside, any suggestions on how I can restore it back to its original glory. I am looking for a professional in Bangalore who can help in getting the old spark back again.

Looking forward for your suggestions.

Regards,
Sajan
I am also facing similar problems in my Verna, the headlights are discolored exactly like those of Sajan's Verna headlights. Can somebody guide me to any professionals in Chennai, who can help in such restoration?

Thanks,
Deepak
deep_behera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 10:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_behera View Post
I am also facing similar problems in my Verna, the headlights are discolored exactly like those of Sajan's Verna headlights. Can somebody guide me to any professionals in Chennai, who can help in such restoration?

Thanks,
Deepak
Check this website
Privilege Moto Mall - One stop shop for your car
They are well equipped to do what you need. I got my car washed there and the attention to details was good.

I am planning a DIY this weekend
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 18:06   #37
BHPian

I have successfully used Colgate normal white toothpaste not gel to brighten up my car's dull headlamps. It requires a little elbow grease and water but worth the effort.

Finally use a UV based sealant to prevent further fading.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 20:00   #38

Exclamation Re: DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!

I don't know if this is such a good idea.

All polycarbonate lens are coated with a "Hard coat" compound, then they are put into a UV chamber / oven for curing and then assembled with the housing and the rest of the components. This process makes the lens much resistant to scratches.

Using sand paper and other abrasives will surely remove this ~7micron coating And the lamp will come to a worse shape after a while. Not to mention, a big part of the dullness can be attributed to oxidation of the aluminium coating on the reflectors (also unadvisable to tamper with as the surface is so delicate, you won't believe).

The permanent (and may be only right) solution is to replace the lamp after a few years.
manish1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 22:35   #39
BHPian

after reading a lot about the toothpaste method i did fall into giving it a try and i came out happily surprised. My 2001 OHC had its right side headlight yellowed up pretty bad, the LHS was replaced some time back due to damage, so the difference between the two lenses was glaringly visible. I was even contemplating changing the RHS head light just for the sake of maintaining the beauty, and so this sunday afternoon DIY job has me all smiles. I used pepsodent toothpaste and about 10 minutes of rubbing to get to this. Extremely good results but it can still get much better with some more rubbing. Probably next weekends chore. Attaching a comparison picture
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Guide : How to get the sparkle back in your old (dull) headlights!-comparo-city-headlight001.jpg  

baddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 21:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
after reading a lot about the toothpaste method i did fall into giving it a try and i came out happily surprised. My 2001 OHC had its right side headlight yellowed up pretty bad, the LHS was replaced some time back due to damage, so the difference between the two lenses was glaringly visible. I was even contemplating changing the RHS head light just for the sake of maintaining the beauty, and so this sunday afternoon DIY job has me all smiles. I used pepsodent toothpaste and about 10 minutes of rubbing to get to this. Extremely good results but it can still get much better with some more rubbing. Probably next weekends chore. Attaching a comparison picture
Could you please let me whether you used white or the gel type? Thanks.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 01:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Check this website
Privilege Moto Mall - One stop shop for your car
They are well equipped to do what you need. I got my car washed there and the attention to details was good.

I am planning a DIY this weekend
Hi Visaster,

Any update on your DYI? The link provided shows head lamp treatment from the outside, my query was the head lamp getting dull from the inside and so was deep_behera request.

How does one restore sparkle back if the head lamp is dull from the inside.

-Sajan
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 11:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Could you please let me whether you used white or the gel type? Thanks.
I used a white one, but as far as i know a gel one would work as well too
baddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 13:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
I used a white one, but as far as i know a gel one would work as well too
Ok thanks, but do while rubbing do I use water and try to get it to foam, or just rub it as if waxing and then later wash it off. Please advise.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 14:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi Visaster,

Any update on your DYI? The link provided shows head lamp treatment from the outside, my query was the head lamp getting dull from the inside and so was deep_behera request.

How does one restore sparkle back if the head lamp is dull from the inside.

-Sajan
I tried the toothpaste trick, but i did not succeed in getting any improvement as I believe I did not put enough effort into it.
I was scared of scratching the headlights with the abrasive(pumice) in the toothpaste.
If its opaque from the inside only option is to part ways with it. New pair is the way forward and peace of mind.
And once you decide on going for a newer version you can risk using all sort of treatment to the headlights and hope you get a better outcome.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:15   #45
BHPian

Default Type 1 Honda City - Headlight Restoration

I have removed the headlight assembly from the car. Used a heat gun to disassemble the lens. Removed the reflector which were screwed to the assemble.

I have used Motomax 2k rubbing compound to get most of the oxidation of the front of the lens, need to do the same for the inside of the lens.

Now my major question is regarding the reflector plate, which has a cup which has kind of rusted. The visibility using these headlight on 90/100 H4 bulbs are very poor, even after clearing the oxidation from the outside of the lens. Thatís why I took the huge leap and decided to take apart the headlight assembly, and clean the inside.

Now here are my questions:
- Would removing the cup of the reflector improve the visibility? I have seen a lot of cars like Innova, i20 which donít have these cups on the reflectors.
- What could I use to improve the reflectors? Mainly the reflector cup which is on the main reflector which is a little rusted?
- Where can I get 2000 grit sandpaper or higher to fine sand the lens in Bangalore?
- Iím planning on fixing white led strips which I also plan to connect to the indicators, any suggestions?
- Another interesting thing is that whenever I switch the headlights, the engine revs down for some time, any ideas how to diagnose this? This is not only for the headlights, but even for the power windows and definitely the A/C, but maybe this should be in another thread.
Attached Images

micraft is offline   Reply With Quote