Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 15:26   #1756
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,067
Thanked: 6,232 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
I am planning to do a DIY love bird cage using PVC pipe. Is a PVC cutter worth getting for this project or regular hacksaw blade is enough? Anyone has experience working with PVC cutters?

Can't say I have any experience with specific PVC cutters. So far a good hacksaw with the appropriate blade has worked for me. But then so far I have only used and cut PVC tubing for electrical work. On a DIY job like yours you might have to cut under different angles and keep the cut finish as smooth as possible. Not a concern for cutting PVC electrical ducts.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has used one how convenient they are for different sizes, cut finish etc

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 17:31   #1757
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Can't say I have any experience with specific PVC cutters. So far a good hacksaw with the appropriate blade has worked for me. But then so far I have only used and cut PVC tubing for electrical work. On a DIY job like yours you might have to cut under different angles and keep the cut finish as smooth as possible. Not a concern for cutting PVC electrical ducts.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has used one how convenient they are for different sizes, cut finish etc

Jeroen
I will be using 1/2 inch pipes mostly for the project. PVC cutter seems good enough for this size and leaves no mess behind. But i am not sure on the available quality and ease of use with this cutter. Local hardware shops do not have this but i can see this in Amazon.
Ford_madhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 18:00   #1758
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,005 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Friends, Need a quick help about drill bits.
Which are the locally available good HSS drill bits? (I dont want the bosch drill bits).
I used to have a few good ones manufactured by a company whose logo was an "A" inside a circle. I threw them away when I bought bosch drill set. (big mistake).
Do you know that company? I think it was ASK or something similar but can't find that name in google.
Your best bet is to find a workshop that does odd metal working jobs, and ask them which brand they use. They will also guide you to the shops where they get their supplies.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 19:37   #1759
NH7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hyderabad/ BLR
Posts: 24
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
I am planning to do a DIY love bird cage using PVC pipe. Is a PVC cutter worth getting for this project or regular hacksaw blade is enough? Anyone has experience working with PVC cutters?
I haven't used a PVC cutter as such, but have used ' Ridgid' pipe cutters extensively for copper tubes. If you are talking about the same thing- the instrument looks like a micrometer with a cutting wheel at the top(??). Easy to use, extremely clean even cut. However, don't think buying one is necessary for your intended use. Sandpaper and Elbow grease will clean up a hacksaw cut sufficiently.
NH7 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 20:50   #1760
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
I haven't used a PVC cutter as such, but have used ' Ridgid' pipe cutters extensively for copper tubes. If you are talking about the same thing- the instrument looks like a micrometer with a cutting wheel at the top(??). Easy to use, extremely clean even cut. However, don't think buying one is necessary for your intended use. Sandpaper and Elbow grease will clean up a hacksaw cut sufficiently.
I am talking about this or similar one and trying to understand if it would be useful..

https://www.amazon.in/Metal-Blade-Cu...rds=pvc+cutter
Ford_madhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2017, 09:50   #1761
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 168
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Friends, Need a quick help about drill bits.
Which are the locally available good HSS drill bits? (I dont want the bosch drill bits).
I used to have a few good ones manufactured by a company whose logo was an "A" inside a circle. I threw them away when I bought bosch drill set. (big mistake).
Do you know that company? I think it was ASK or something similar but can't find that name in google.
Addison manufactures and supplies some of the best HSS drill bits in India. They have the logo you are looking for.
rdst_1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 19:45   #1762
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 310
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Addison manufactures and supplies some of the best HSS drill bits in India. They have the logo you are looking for.
You are right. Thank you very much. Addison was the name I was looking for. Their drills were much better than the Bosch ones. I will be visiting tool shops tomorrow to buy them and also need to buy a couple of C-Clamps and a locking plier.
Holyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 19:54   #1763
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 168
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
You are right. Thank you very much. Addison was the name I was looking for. Their drills were much better than the Bosch ones. I will be visiting tool shops tomorrow to buy them and also need to buy a couple of C-Clamps and a locking plier.
Which city will you be buying in?
I have found that it helps to buy from known company dealers. You can ask for dealer details from respective company helplines. I bought Addison bits worth 5k from a known dealer in Chandigarh when I bought my floor drill press and like someone has mentioned above, one can get 20-40% off on catalog prices (which are already lower than MRP).
rdst_1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 23:39   #1764
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,846
Thanked: 7,237 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Addison manufactures and supplies some of the best HSS drill bits in India. They have the logo you are looking for.
Thank you very much! The drill bits that I have, sold under the name of Bosch, are rubbish.

I have been looking for a good set of twist drills. The sort of thing that lasts a lifetime especially as 90% of them never actually get used!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore : Fantastic store for tools kartikkumar Shifting gears 22 27th September 2012 01:15
Amplifier Installation Help: For DIYer nitin.dangayach In-Car Entertainment 52 10th March 2010 18:59
Power tools dadu Gadgets, Computers & Software 15 16th June 2008 12:05
tools for bike garage bullboy Motorbikes 1 11th September 2006 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks