Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 9th October 2007, 10:56   #16
BHPian

As much as I can, I try and do things myself. To be able to do this, I have a small collection of tools that varies from spanners, rachets, duct-tapes files to soldering-irons, drill-guns and blowers but have found it difficult carrying them when required. I am currently using an old military explosives box that I picked from the Chor Bazaar. But I need something more organised and lightweight. Any ideas on a good brand that makes toolboxes? Something like this would be great Craftsman Tool Case, Black - Model 59378 at Sears.com

IMO, another must-have is a Victorinox Multi-functional knife. It is very handy and has bailed me out of many a difficult situation.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 9th October 2007 at 10:59.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 01:42   #17
BHPian

thanks sam :-) yes it is SOLDRON. and its flux. sorry for that. i can imagine someone asking for wax and making a fool out of himself. and desoldering wick ofcourse. thanks again.

sam, isnt 15 watts more than enough? a 25 watt ca damage thing if used for too long. but for wires and stuff, the 25w iron will be fine.

and i have bought some power tools. sorry for posting it in three different threads but it belongs here. gota black & decker cordless drill, a jigsaw machine, a crew driver kit(to be used with the drill) a wood planer and some drill bits and jigsaw blades. these power tools have made my life a lot easier. i could remove my sub from the enclosure in 1 minute flat. :-)

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 12th October 2007 at 01:46.
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 10:14   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
thanks sam :-) yes it is SOLDRON. and its flux. sorry for that. i can imagine someone asking for wax and making a fool out of himself. and desoldering wick ofcourse. thanks again.
you do get solder wire with a flux core, at best you now need flux to clean the tips. Soldoron makes nice irons and interchangable tips too. They've been in the business as long as I can remember. :-)
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 16:06   #19
BHPian

I am thinking of buying a digital multimeter. Can someone help me choose between a cute orange Chinese one costing Rs 100 & a slightly bulkier Orpat costing Rs 160 or suggest something better that doesn't cost very much more?
My sincerest thanks in advance.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 20:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
I am thinking of buying a digital multimeter. Can someone help me choose between a cute orange Chinese one costing Rs 100 & a slightly bulkier Orpat costing Rs 160 or suggest something better that doesn't cost very much more?
My sincerest thanks in advance.
I have both - a DMM I use for checking voltages <20V and current <2mA, and a brand SANWA made analog multimeter (150Rs in 1992) used for major work. I care both of these babies very much. Still they have there own packing. Sanwa make MM is almost 15yr old. That's why they never fool me.
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 12:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of buying a digital multimeter. Can someone help me choose between a cute orange Chinese one costing Rs 100 & a slightly bulkier Orpat costing Rs 160 or suggest something better that doesn't cost very much more? ...
Daktar babu, for your purposes the Chinese one will also do. Just check if it has a continuity check setting (usually with a beeper) under Resistance measurement. Care for it, it will last a long time - just make sure the knob is set to what you want to measure before connecting the probes, not AFTER the puff of smoke comes out.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 13:32   #22
BHPian

Chinese DMMs costing Rs 100 come with a cheap 9V battery inside which gives away too quickly and also leaks to spoil the circuit board.

Change the 9V battery to a branded one and that should last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Daktar babu, for your purposes the Chinese one will also do. Just check if it has a continuity check setting (usually with a beeper) under Resistance measurement. Care for it, it will last a long time - just make sure the knob is set to what you want to measure before connecting the probes, not AFTER the puff of smoke comes out.
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 13:51   #23
BHPian

Hi guys ,

just my 2 cents we all know how crucial it is to use good quality tools.we now get the famous Stanley brand tools here in India.their address ;Stanley works india(P) ltd.,4/24 a,A.B.house , asaf ali road , n. Delhi 110 002 e mail:indiasales@stanleyworks.com
rallystar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 15:30   #24
BHPian

Thanks for your invaluable suggestions.
@shyamhegde - Which brand(s) 9V battery would you recommend & how much do you think it would cost? Do you think the Orpat may come with a better battery? Is the seller likely to get very annoyed if I ask him to show me the battery inside the multimeter?
Since I didn't have the foggiest idea about using a digital multimeter, I was hunting for some information on the net. Here's the link to a wonderful flash presentation I found.
The Digital MultiMeter
nura is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 16:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your invaluable suggestions.
@shyamhegde - Which brand(s) 9V battery would you recommend & how much do you think it would cost? Do you think the Orpat may come with a better battery? Is the seller likely to get very annoyed if I ask him to show me the battery inside the multimeter?
Since I didn't have the foggiest idea about using a digital multimeter, I was hunting for some information on the net. Here's the link to a wonderful flash presentation I found.
The Digital MultiMeter
I used Eveready ones. Costed some 40 Rs. Duracell would be costier than the DMM itself !
Do not forget to turn the meter off after the use. I drained couple of them forgetting to turn them off before putting it in my tool box.

I hope Orpat uses good battery. That might be the reason they charge us a bit more than Chinese ones. If Orpat gives you warranty that is good. Please check. (Warranty might not help, if you burn the meter with wrong settings while using)

Seller might not be comfortable showing the batteries to you as opening it would void warranty.

That link is a good one for beginners. Thanks.
You can also refer to the manual/guide which comes with DMM in pack itself.
Old 13th October 2008, 17:14   #26

Default Great link

Quote:
Here's the link to a wonderful flash presentation I found.
The Digital MultiMeter
@nura, the link is a very good tutorial. I finally learnt how to take Current readings using a DMM. I was doing it wrongly all this time and wondering why I was not able to take Ammeter readings.
jreddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 16:41   #27
BHPian

Hi! I finally got myself a DMM after parting with a princely sum of Rs 95 & was pleasantly surprised not to see the meter go up in a puff of smoke (it actually displayed 240 volts), when I inserted the test leads into a domestic socket.
Since it is not an "auto range" instrument, I need to have the switch in the correct position, before I take a reading. But let us say I want to measure an unknown resistance, what should I do then? Start high & turn the switch to the lower figures (removing the test leads each time) or vice versa? Or is it going to blow either way?
Thanks in advance,
nura.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 23:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hi! I finally got myself a DMM after parting with a princely sum of Rs 95 & was pleasantly surprised not to see the meter go up in a puff of smoke (it actually displayed 240 volts), when I inserted the test leads into a domestic socket.
Since it is not an "auto range" instrument, I need to have the switch in the correct position, before I take a reading. But let us say I want to measure an unknown resistance, what should I do then? Start high & turn the switch to the lower figures (removing the test leads each time) or vice versa? Or is it going to blow either way?
Thanks in advance,
nura.
You need not worry of blowing the meter up in smoke when you measure resistance of a resistor. you can select any range and 'tune' to the optimum range in steps. To measure resistance, multimeter uses its internal battery and there is no chance of damaging it in any way doing so.
Old 25th October 2008, 10:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
You need not worry of blowing the meter up in smoke when you measure resistance of a resistor. you can select any range and 'tune' to the optimum range in steps. To measure resistance, multimeter uses its internal battery and there is no chance of damaging it in any way doing so.
Unless you intrude into live circuit.

Measure current and voltage with due care, and always measure resistance with switched off circuit.
Keep in mind, if you get misleading reading then change the battery of DMM first.

Last edited by omishra : 25th October 2008 at 10:26.
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 12:53   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... But let us say I want to measure an unknown resistance, what should I do then? Start high & turn the switch to the lower figures (removing the test leads each time) or vice versa? ...
No, you need not remove the leads to do that. Of course, holding the leads in place with one hand and rotating the knob with the other can be quite tricky sometimes.

With DMMs the process is - start with the lowest range, and keep going up one step at a time. If the range is too low, the reading is usually E (indicating infinity or too high for the range). In one setting the E will change to a valid reading. You need not reverse leads, unless you suspect the component to be a diode.

Lower the range, more decimal places are indicated for the resistance.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote