Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 12:52   #556
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 903
Thanked: 549 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also how much does a rubber O ring cost usually? Industrial areas are kinda very far from my place. I only know one in Bangalore - Peenya Industrial Area and its almost out of town. Can you give alternative options as to where else can I find this O ring? Can anyone in BLR tell me where to source an O ring?

About the sockets, I dont have any with me and never used one also. I was planning to acquire 22mm one for the pressure washer equipment. Im confused with drives as Im not sure which one to order.
Rubber O-ring should cost around Rs 2 - Rs 5/- per piece at the Industrial area. There are O-ring packets available for all motor cycle. So take the part to any (Preferably a known) spareparts shopm explain your requirement. Either he will do some trial & error and give you the O-ring you need or hand you a full O-ring packet which contains the one you need. So you will end up paying either Rs 10/- or Rs 50/-.
I would suggest you to go for the bigger (3/8) wrench as it can handle higher torque. For smaller bolts like 8, 10, 12, etc. I prefer a tubular / ring / open spanners. Typically you spend more effort on holding the wrench than tightening the small bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also can I use this socket equipment on unscrewing nuts and bolts from bikes?

Also, another query. The brass pipe on the pressure washer lance has become too tight to unscrew it as I could do earlier. How can I unscrew this pipe now?
Yes you can. The scokets are of standard sizes only.
I am not getting the problem exactly. A picture would help.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 13:32   #557
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,200
Thanked: 5,812 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also, another query. The brass pipe on the pressure washer lance has become too tight to unscrew it as I could do earlier. How can I unscrew this pipe now?
Do you mean the connection of the hose to the outlet?

When I first had my Bosch pressure washer, I had a hard time with being unable to undo this connection. It is only finger tightened, how could it be so hard to undo again? Being slightly recessed, I could not even find a tool/wrench that I could use. I -ed my head over this, and the solution turned out to be absurdly simple: release the pressure!

Hint: put a little Vaseline on these connectors, O-rings, etc.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 13:39   #558
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 887
Thanked: 487 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Rubber O-ring should cost around Rs 2 - Rs 5/- per piece at the Industrial area. There are O-ring packets available for all motor cycle. So take the part to any (Preferably a known) spareparts shopm explain your requirement. Either he will do some trial & error and give you the O-ring you need or hand you a full O-ring packet which contains the one you need. So you will end up paying either Rs 10/- or Rs 50/-.
I would suggest you to go for the bigger (3/8) wrench as it can handle higher torque. For smaller bolts like 8, 10, 12, etc. I prefer a tubular / ring / open spanners. Typically you spend more effort on holding the wrench than tightening the small bolts.


Yes you can. The scokets are of standard sizes only.
I am not getting the problem exactly. A picture would help.
Thanks a lot for that. Ive lots of garages nearby so I can then source from them the O ring.

Yes now Im researching the different socket brands available in the market. Came across a 65 piece socket set from Stanley on ebay.in. That could be used in almost any application I may have. WOW. and it costs 4k only.

Im uploading 2 pictures depicting the problem here.
Tools for a DIYer-20130525_125836.jpg

The O ring is supposed to sit inside the brass piece which has grooves on it. This then attaches to the back of the lance in the next picture.

Tools for a DIYer-20130525_125854.jpg

Tha arrow shows which end of the tube is tightly screwed. This was a bit loose and I could open it up easily but I tightened it by mistake and cannot open now by hands. Is there any other option?

These two threads are the ones that need the plumbers tape to ensure a water proof connection as advised by the company that sold it to me.

Thanks again for your help

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 25th May 2013 at 13:41.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 13:40   #559
BHPian
 
latentpotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IIM, Ahmedabad
Posts: 486
Thanked: 323 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Nice collection. BTW what was the cost of the 18 Piece Hand Socket Set. Planning to get one for a long time though. Thanks!
600 INR - Crawford Market - I think the shopkeeper had no idea of the real value
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 14:11   #560
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 887
Thanked: 487 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you mean the connection of the hose to the outlet?

When I first had my Bosch pressure washer, I had a hard time with being unable to undo this connection. It is only finger tightened, how could it be so hard to undo again? Being slightly recessed, I could not even find a tool/wrench that I could use. I my head over this, and the solution turned out to be absurdly simple: release the pressure!

Hint: put a little Vaseline on these connectors, O-rings, etc.
Haha I had the same problem with my Karcher when I was trying to unlock the hose from the trigger gun. Kept pulling at it for 5 minutes and still it wouldn't budge no matter how much I tried. Then by mistake I pulled the trigger and that released the pressure and the hose came off easily.

However, now the problem of the connector being too tight exists in the Foam lance attachment, that I recently imported from the UK. The picture is shown above. Hopefully I should be able to source the O rings and get it back to running condition.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
3/8 and 1/4 refers to the dimensions of the square plug (the width) that is on every ratchet/ This mates with the opening in he socket.

Each drive requires a separate socket. So you may have a 10mm socket in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drives
Initially there was only 1/2". Then manufacturers introduced the 3/8" as it made all the accessories smaller (and cheaper). Finally for small sockets and light duty 1/4" were introduced.

I bought my sockets when only 1/2" was available (8mm to 34mm as well as the American & Whitworth sizes).

If you do not need more than 12mm (or 1/2"), then 1/4" drive sets are ideal as they are small light and inexpensive (4mm - 14mm for Taparia) http://www.tapariatools.com/sockets.php#first
3/8" in 6mm - 22mm
1/2" in 8mm - 34mm
3/4" in 22mm - 70mm
1" in 36mm - 80mm
Thanks for replying and making it crystal clear for me.

The only issue with the 1/4" drive set is that it is not available in the 22mm set which I currently need to service the foam lance from time to time. So Im guessing, 1/4" and 3/8" should be able to fulfill 90% of my needs from time to time.

The taparia set for 1/4"+3/8" comes to 4200 change and so does this from Stanley. Which would be a better buy in your opinion?

Thanks again.

edit: - got the PTFE thread seal tape now. Some company called Diamond sells it. Cost for 12mmx10m is 40 bucks. Thanks to @ilangop for helping out.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 25th May 2013 at 14:20.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 16:14   #561
BHPian
 
IcarusMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
The taparia set for 1/4"+3/8" comes to 4200 change and so does this from Stanley. Which would be a better buy in your opinion?
Can't go wrong with Stanley. An alternative to online ordering is to get a set from MN Hussain & Co on Commercial Street (basement of Westside). Got this Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched 69-Piece Socket Set from this shop. This "black chrome" set was the last piece at the time however. But they have plenty of other options. Makes me drool everytime I visit .
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 22:10   #562
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 887
Thanked: 487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post

Can't go wrong with Stanley. An alternative to online ordering is to get a set from MN Hussain & Co on Commercial Street (basement of Westside). Got this Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched 69-Piece Socket Set from this shop. This "black chrome" set was the last piece at the time however. But they have plenty of other options. Makes me drool everytime I visit .
Hey Ive been to that store one time that too by mistake I discovered it while hunting for a Biryani restaurant. Had never seen it before that day irrespective of the countless times Ive been to Commercial street.

But man do they have a collection. I was drooling for more than half an hour at the products available. Never ever visited a better stocked hardware store in my life. They have anything and everything available there. You name it they have it. Portable compressors, pressure washers, entire tool kits, tool boxes.

And the staff is friendly too. There was this elderly gentleman there who was handling my queries. He was very courteous and fluent with the various equipment. Sadly that day I didnt have the budget to buy the tools. But definitely will need to visit that place soon preferably with my parents .

The stanley tools as expected were high priced. How much did you pay for that? I may not go for the same but the normal metallic type itself as the amazon reviews dont speak highly of the color. But how are the ergonomics? I know Taparia tools are solid. Is the stanley one ergonomically superior to Taparia or its just a few notches higher? Also do they stock Taparia tools?

Now Ive got a very good reason to visit Commercial street more frequently hehe.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 22:19   #563
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 636
Thanked: 427 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post

I am not sure about the 2 types of sockets on the 22 size. Typically they have sockets of same size in 2 different lengths, is this what you are mentioning here?
Tool stores near Industrial estate areas are cheaper and offer discounts on the MRP. Hope this helps.
Taparia socket sets are sold as 'premium' tools in my area.another brand is honiton which comes with lifetime warranty and is also substantially cheaper. As per vendors all sockets are imported from taiwan and ratchets made in India.

Gedore ratchets are also well reputed and available without sockets .
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 11:53   #564
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,043
Thanked: 913 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Taparia are made in India, with collaboration with Bahco of Sweden. They would be much better than those made in China/Taiwan. You can check it from their site, which has a price list in PDF format. http://www.tapariatools.com/

Sadly Gedore has stopped manufacturing in India. All my socket sets are from Gedore bought in early '70s, and still going strong.

The problem with inexpensive hand tools is the quality of the steel, which results in wear of the surfaces and in some cases cracks/breakages. The most common problem is the widening up of open ended spanners resulting in rounded nut/bolt head.

One option is to buy only those piece you need, as I did over time, and get a dedicated tool box to hold all the piece. http://www.stanleyworks.in/metal-tool-boxes.html
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 12:53   #565
BHPian
 
IcarusMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
The stanley tools as expected were high priced. How much did you pay for that? I may not go for the same but the normal metallic type itself as the amazon reviews dont speak highly of the color. But how are the ergonomics? I know Taparia tools are solid. Is the stanley one ergonomically superior to Taparia or its just a few notches higher? Also do they stock Taparia tools?
I got my set for ~INR. 4000.00 (at a discount because it was the last piece or something like that). The sockets came in both SAE and metric sizes, which seemed to be a safe bet. Also, it came with 2 spark plug sockets. Cannot fault the ergonomics at all. Have hardly had occasion to use a fifth of the sockets but, dang, these things are really useful when you do need 'em! The only sore point with my set is that some of the sockets sit very tight in the case - takes a bit of effort to pry them out. About the color, well, if not anything it looks unique!

I'm a beginner DIYer myself and learning. The masters here have given some great advice. I don't have any experience with Taparia. I think, for most purposes, either brand will do the job just as well.
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 13:17   #566
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,200
Thanked: 5,812 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
The only sore point with my set is that some of the sockets sit very tight in the case - takes a bit of effort to pry them out.
That's an advatage!

Mine are very loose, and without blutack, I would open the box to find them all over the place.

Had my socket set for decades. It was not expensive, and is one of those things that I seldom use, but is invaluable when it is needed. Don't spend too much unless mechanicing is going to be daily thing --- or you really can afford it and just enjoy owning amazing tools!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 13:50   #567
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 887
Thanked: 487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Taparia are made in India, with collaboration with Bahco of Sweden. They would be much better than those made in China/Taiwan. You can check it from their site, which has a price list in PDF format. http://www.tapariatools.com/

Sadly Gedore has stopped manufacturing in India. All my socket sets are from Gedore bought in early '70s, and still going strong.
]

http://www.bombaytools.in/hand-tools.html

Sir this company seems to be making Gedore sockets.

I had a query. Ive many nuts which use the allen keys. Are there any sockets in hex key format?
Also if i buy a ratchet from say taparia, can I use gedore sockets on it or stanley sockets or I can only use specific brand ones?

Also I dont see any option where i can buy the single 22mm socket for now along with a ratchet and then invest in more from time to time. Do hardware stores sell sockets by single piece? Ive only seen sets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post

I got my set for ~INR. 4000.00 (at a discount because it was the last piece or something like that). The sockets came in both SAE and metric sizes, which seemed to be a safe bet. .
What is this spark plug socket? 4000 for that set is good price. How does one know which standard sockets i need? Like I dont know if on my bike I need SAE or metric.

Im kinda liking Aroy's option of going for different sockets according to need and building a tool box. But then the choice of sockets is overwhelming and I may take the easier route of buying a set in 3/8 & 1/4 sizes.

Does stanley in India come with lifetime warranty like the US? In case of any problems will they replace the defective piece?

And can some one tell me how to detect genuine and fake in case if stanley and taparia? Ive a taparia spanner since 10 years and that thing is still going strong no matter whatever I use it for. Mostly for my bicycle and plumbing stuff. I think back then it was 100-200 bucks but solid build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

That's an advatage!

Mine are very loose, and without blutack, I would open the box to find them all over the place.

Had my socket set for decades. It was not expensive, and is one of those things that I seldom use, but is invaluable when it is needed. Don't spend too much unless mechanicing is going to be daily thing --- or you really can afford it and just enjoy owning amazing tools!
Yes thats true. Ive had cheap tool sets like those 120 pieces in one and what not and on opening the box everything used to be all over the place. Gave them away long back.

Yes owning tools is one thing Ive loved since childhood tinkering with nuts, bolts screws in any equipment or toys ive had. The next on my list is this Dremel. Have been eyeing it for quite sometime now. Funny part is this socket set costs as much as dremel beginner set. Will get it by next year if not earlier. I have already started to dream about where all im gonna use that around the house.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 26th May 2013 at 13:57.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 23:55   #568
BHPian
 
IcarusMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
What is this spark plug socket? 4000 for that set is good price. How does one know which standard sockets i need? Like I dont know if on my bike I need SAE or metric.
Spark plug as in "Noun: A device for firing the explosive mixture in an internal combustion engine." These pair of sockets, in 13/16 and 5/8 sizes have a rubber insert inside the socket intended to prevent damage to the insulator/electrode.

Most of the time I've used only the metric sockets in my set - this for odd household jobs + kids' bikes/tricycles + basic car DIYs. On the other hand, I'm reasonably certain I'll bump into a job that *must* have an SAE socket that fits just-so to avoid rounding off a bolt.

Quote:
Im kinda liking Aroy's option of going for different sockets according to need and building a tool box.
Sounds good to me too. Now, go forth and buy!

Quote:
Does stanley in India come with lifetime warranty like the US? In case of any problems will they replace the defective piece?
No idea. But I do *expect* my set to last a lifetime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's an advatage!
Didn't consider this. I feel better about my set already ;-)
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 10:43   #569
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 903
Thanked: 549 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
What is this spark plug socket?
21 mm for Bullet, Lambretta, most of the cars.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 19:22   #570
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,043
Thanked: 913 Times
Default Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

1.
I had a query. Ive many nuts which use the allen keys. Are there any sockets in hex key format?
Also if i buy a ratchet from say taparia, can I use gedore sockets on it or stanley sockets or I can only use specific brand ones?

2.
Also I dont see any option where i can buy the single 22mm socket for now along with a ratchet and then invest in more from time to time. Do hardware stores sell sockets by single piece? Ive only seen sets.

3.
What is this spark plug socket? 4000 for that set is good price. How does one know which standard sockets i need? Like I dont know if on my bike I need SAE or metric.

4.
Im kinda liking Aroy's option of going for different sockets according to need and building a tool box. But then the choice of sockets is overwhelming and I may take the easier route of buying a set in 3/8 & 1/4 sizes.

Does stanley in India come with lifetime warranty like the US? In case of any problems will they replace the defective piece?

5.
And can some one tell me how to detect genuine and fake in case if stanley and taparia? Ive a taparia spanner since 10 years and that thing is still going strong no matter whatever I use it for. Mostly for my bicycle and plumbing stuff. I think back then it was 100-200 bucks but solid build quality.

..........
1. The Taparia catalog has them : 4mm to 19mm. But they seem to be quite high in price between 89 and 170 each All the sockets and accessories conform to International and IS standards, hence they are interchangeable. In fact I have a Taparia ratchet (the Gedore one got spoilt) and it works with both Taparia and Gedore sockets/accessories

2. I have bought individual pieces - sockets and accessories from the shop selling tools. In fact professional mechanics buy only the pieces required (as and when they are lost or odd size needed)

3. Spark Plug sockets are for taking the spark plugs in/out of the engine block. There are many standard widths, spanning from 22m to 10mm and less. Older cars/bikes used the 19mm mostly. Today my Alto uses smaller size, so my existing socket is useless

4. I would suggest getting just the small sizes : 4 to 7mm in 1/4" and rest in the 1/2" drive. The reason is that the 1/2" drive components are big and tough, and are used in90% of the jobs. 1/4" and 3/8" are used mostly by DIY hobbyist, hence the quality is usually lower to lower the costs. Professional 1/4" sockets and accessories are way too much expensive.

5. Normally the Make is stamped during forging process. So it will be crisp and deep in case of sockets, and well formed and sharp raised letters for spanners. For socket accessories there is a spring loaded ball to catch the detente in female end. The ball is held by crimping a collar around the hole. The crimping should be uniform and neat. The ball should be held by a tight spring.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore : Fantastic store for tools kartikkumar Shifting gears 22 27th September 2012 01:15
Amplifier Installation Help: For DIYer nitin.dangayach In-Car Entertainment 52 10th March 2010 18:59
Power tools dadu Gadgets, Computers & Software 15 16th June 2008 12:05
tools for bike garage bullboy Motorbikes 1 11th September 2006 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks