Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 14:49   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: God'sowncountry
Posts: 106
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Cabin filter filters the air that is being re-circulated. It needs to be cleaned every 5000kms. Otherwise, the quantity of air flow is HUGELY restricted. I have it installed in my alto.

Philips Go-Pure System costs about 12k MRP and is available for about 8.5k I believe. It filters the cabin air of all the bacteria and dust. The filter needs to be cleaned at least once in a year and costs about 1.5k. Connect it to the 12v Socket once in a while and the red light glows. After few minutes, it will glow green, when you can disconnect it. It is not a permanent attachment. I could not find a place where I can fit it in my Swift. Dash board sweeps down. Anything placed on it falls down. More than that, when taken for service, the service boys will start playing with anything that they find new.
specialist1968 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 19:27   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
The outside air vent opens directly above the fan and all the dust that comes through it will be vented into the cabin by the fan if this filer is not present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialist1968 View Post
Cabin filter filters the air that is being re-circulated. It needs to be cleaned every 5000kms. Otherwise, the quantity of air flow is HUGELY restricted. I have it installed in my alto.
Confusion reigns. Does anyone have a service manual of this car?
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 21:15   #18
BHPian
 
mtnrajdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 648
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Confusion reigns. Does anyone have a service manual of this car?
Hi Goandude, please see this post in Jaggu's thread AC Fan Cleaning DIY. You can see this yourself easily in your car. Remove the glovebox as mentioned in that post. Once you do that, you will see something similar to the third pic in Jaggu's post. Just switch on your car ignition so that the AC controls are on and switch on/off the AC recirculation switch. You will see a flap that opens and closes as per the switch position. This is the flap that allows outside air into the car when the recirculation mode is switched off.

Just below this flap is the place for inserting the cabin filter and below it the fan.

Hopefully, now your confusion is cleared

Last edited by mtnrajdeep : 27th October 2011 at 21:16.
mtnrajdeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 23:53   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

hello friends,
i was just browsing the posts,recently i was there at suraksha bommanhalli for my alto service,there was a small advertisement regarding BOSCH cabin filters recently introduced.it had the cars for which this is available in india ,but there was nothing for alto mentioned .i asked my service advisor rajesh he said bosch is very good better than oem .thanks
chetan5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 17:13   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Hi Goandude, please see this post in Jaggu's thread AC Fan Cleaning DIY. You can see this yourself easily in your car. Remove the glovebox as mentioned in that post. Once you do that, you will see something similar to the third pic in Jaggu's post. Just switch on your car ignition so that the AC controls are on and switch on/off the AC recirculation switch. You will see a flap that opens and closes as per the switch position. This is the flap that allows outside air into the car when the recirculation mode is switched off.

Just below this flap is the place for inserting the cabin filter and below it the fan.

Hopefully, now your confusion is cleared
I found a good diagram of the HVAC System here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2560343 (Maruti Workshop Manuals?) and can now understand the working of the filter and the flaps. BTW I was in the hunt for the manuals for a longish time and finally found it.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 11:44   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 90
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Can some put a pic of how that looks and is this available outside too? or only in the Maruti service center
jaygeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:36   #22
BHPian
 
ANUJ GEORGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kochi & Doha
Posts: 47
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
Can some put a pic of how that looks and is this available outside too? or only in the Maruti service center
See the picture where the filter fits in: The Black plate is a dummy, filter goes in there.

Second picture is of the filter element. I paid Rs 800 for the filter installation at the Ernakulam.
Attached Images
  
ANUJ GEORGE is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:29   #23
SAS
BHPian
 
SAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 287
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
There is no filter installed by Maruti at the time of manufacturing but they sell that filter as MGP/SGP. It is left to the customer to install it. The place to fit it is present in all the cars.

Is one available for the Alto? If yes, I shall definitely install it. Mumbai roads are ridiculously dusty and even with the AC continuously on, you can still feel dust enter the cabin area through the nooks and crannies. I'd say this is an excellent investment. Saves us from dirty air and pollution.

Does it look similar to the filter pictured above? Any idea on the part number?

Last edited by SAS : 2nd November 2011 at 20:32. Reason: Didn't see the posted pic
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:02   #24
BHPian
 
mtnrajdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 648
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Is one available for the Alto? If yes, I shall definitely install it. Mumbai roads are ridiculously dusty and even with the AC continuously on, you can still feel dust enter the cabin area through the nooks and crannies. I'd say this is an excellent investment. Saves us from dirty air and pollution.

Does it look similar to the filter pictured above? Any idea on the part number?
I think it should fit any Maruti model. Part number was something like 95860-63J10 (for SGP) and very similar for MGP model. You can check this out with Maruti Spare parts dealer in Mumbai.
mtnrajdeep is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,043
Thanked: 7,367 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE
See the picture where the filter fits in
ANUJ GEORGE, thanks for the pictures. I have a few questions.
  1. Is this setup behind the glove box?
  2. Do we need to cut the face plate? (the Black plate on which you have written "filter goes here")
  3. And, is the filter pushed into the box horizontally like a video cassette?
  4. Did you source the filter from a MASS at EKM?
Some post installation pictures will be really appreciated.

Edit: Does anyone know the status of this filter on the new Swift? Is it factory fitted?

Last edited by deetjohn : 3rd November 2011 at 12:10. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:34   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
See the picture where the filter fits in: The Black plate is a dummy, filter goes in there.

Second picture is of the filter element. I paid Rs 800 for the filter installation at the Ernakulam.
Good pictures. I wish you had added an "after" with the filter in place.
Is the airflow reduced in any way with the filter?

BTW the your first picture is so much different from Jaggus third picture here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1193006

Last edited by goandude : 3rd November 2011 at 16:40.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:00   #27
BHPian
 
ANUJ GEORGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kochi & Doha
Posts: 47
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
BTW the your first picture is so much different from Jaggus third picture here
The reason being, the picture I have posted is from "Zen Estilo"

Here is the picture with filter in place, I hope it helps. The filter goes all the way in, I have pulled it out to give a better idea about its fitment. This fits just above the blower, and works for both "recirculation" mode and "fresh air" mode. I haven't seen any reduction in the air flow, but I will expect that as the filter gets clogged up.

@deetjohn,

Is this setup behind the glove box?
Yes, you will have to remove the glove box to see this slot.
Do we need to cut the face plate? (the Black plate on which you have written "filter goes here")
Yes, the black plate will have to go.
And, is the filter pushed into the box horizontally like a video cassette?
Yes
Did you source the filter from a MASS at EKM?
Yes, it is available from Popular motors EKM

According to the service adviser, non of the maruti models come with a factory fitted filter. I havn't specifically asked about the new swift though.
Attached Images
 
ANUJ GEORGE is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 14:03   #28
SAS
BHPian
 
SAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 287
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreeni View Post
The SGP model is for Swift & SX4 & the MGP model is for Wagon R, Alto & Estilo.

No filter can be washed and reused. Please check the Product info.
Hi

I today went to the service center how they did not have the AC air filter for the Alto. The stores guy said such a thing did not exist. I tried to convince him otherwise but I failed. I need this for my Alto (2005 Lxi BS3 model).

I have the following 2 questions:

1. Has anybody fitted this in their Alto?
2. What is the exact part number for the Alto?
3. Anybody from Mumbai can suggest where I can get this from?

Thanks guys..
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 20:37   #29
BHPian
 
Dr.Vikas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sangli
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Hi friends,
I don't think this as OT, but what you all are discussing about here, comes by default with Skoda.. It's specifically described as 'Pollen Filter' & I often use to clean it of my own while vacuuming my Fabia.
It is located below the Glove Box and doesn't require any special assistance, (except to 'slide' down under the Dashboard in the leg space on the passenger side).. I don't know about the cost factor, but might be a costlier affair as compared to that of Swifts'!
I have seen the same in my friend's Linea also, but that needs some technical support to remove & refit the filter element..
Thanks & regards,

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 5th November 2011 at 20:42.
Dr.Vikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 22:32   #30
SAS
BHPian
 
SAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 287
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Cabin Filter for Swift : Want to do DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi friends,
I don't think this as OT, but what you all are discussing about here, comes by default with Skoda.. It's specifically described as 'Pollen Filter' & I often use to clean it of my own while vacuuming my Fabia.
It is located below the Glove Box and doesn't require any special assistance, (except to 'slide' down under the Dashboard in the leg space on the passenger side).. I don't know about the cost factor, but might be a costlier affair as compared to that of Swifts'!
I have seen the same in my friend's Linea also, but that needs some technical support to remove & refit the filter element..
Thanks & regards,
It comes default on several vehicles. Even the Tata Nano has it by default, forget the Fabia.

Maruti has taken cost cutting to a new level, hence this isn't present on most Maruti vehicles.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio noelnelly DIY - Do it yourself 41 28th March 2017 08:59
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo Blow Horn Ok DIY - Do it yourself 45 20th January 2017 20:46
Hyundai i20 DIY: Replacing the rear wiper arm and cabin filter RocketRaccoon DIY - Do it yourself 25 24th October 2016 18:01
Mitsubishi Cedia DIY - Cabin Air Filter Installation Captain Slow DIY - Do it yourself 1 27th May 2013 10:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks