Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 16:16   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Team, need your inputs on the same

The smaller wiper (left side) of my Brio has been as issue since I bought the car. It rises up normally but while coming down, it makes rrrdd-rrrddd sound as if hitting a bump and leaves multiple lines of water half way (like hands of clock or markings on speedometer), rendering the swipe useless. This does not happen in very heavy rains when the wiper is at full speed, but using wiper in moderate rains to drizzle is a big problem. Apparently, the wiper does not flex in the opposite direction when swiping backwards.

I changed the wipers thrice, this time switching to Bosch ones, it worked properly initially but its back to square one again. I have also used some solution on windshield (Pro-clear or something) but it turned out to be just saturated soap water. Honda puts some solution in the water reservoir which reduces the problem if I spray it but does not eliminate. Even applied some WD40 and petrol on the inside of the rubber blade so as to make it soft and flexible, it worked for a day or two. Now I feel something is wrong with the glass surface at that particular area. Thankfully, the problem is not with the primary wiper else it would have been a disaster.

Any suggestions are welcome.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:55   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

The smaller wiper (left side) of my Brio has been as issue since I bought the car. It rises up normally but while coming down, it makes rrrdd-rrrddd sound as if hitting a bump and leaves multiple lines of water half way (like hands of clock or markings on speedometer), rendering the swipe useless.
Since you are saying you have changed the wipers thrice earlier and has not helped, I am thinking below may be the reasons. Otherwise, usually, it is wiper blade hardening that creates this sound

suggest you to check the angle between the wiper blade and glass. Ideally it should be 90 degree. if the angle is not exactly 90 degree (This may be due to twisted wiper frame), then there is a possibility of sound.

Second possible reason I can think of is, if the wipro frame is pushing the wiper blade too hard, then, some part of rubber may be in hard friction on glass. this makes sound.

In first scenario, you need to twist the wiper frame(I mean, the metal holder) slightly in opposite direction using a cutting plyer.
In second scenario, the spring behind the frame need to be changed (May be it is too hard)

These are just my analysis. I have not faced this problem earlier

Last edited by gkveda : 25th June 2018 at 17:57.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:17   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks for sharing, has happened too many times with me, 90% of the times, it was because of others, 10%, because of the Scorpio's inability to not splash water onto the windscreen.
I drive one of my senior's scorp sometimes and this has happened to me as well several times.

As the car goes into a puddle, the water gets splashed on to my windscreen. I really can't understand the physics behind this, or is it a design issue? Car's wheels can't throw water on to its own windscreen. Hasn't happened in any other car.
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:39   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
I really can't understand the physics behind this, or is it a design issue? Car's wheels can't throw water on to its own windscreen. Hasn't happened in any other car.
Am seeing it on all iterations of Scorpio, so its a Mahindra thing, but this is dangerous.

On this, while I have driven the Storme/Fortuner/Pajero, but am yet to take it in a puddle. Don't know as to how they hold up?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:46   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I find myself a confident driver in most of the situations but this time I was hell scared, at times I just didn't knew where I am or where the road is. There have been a few instances where I could estimate that I am on the road solely because my tyres were moving on a smooth surface and at times I was literally driving at under 15 km/hr just to earn the time to make a guess over where the road exactly is.
I was once driving to Haridwar in very dense fog. I found that having Google Maps on was really helpful, not only for navigation but also in helping me gauge where the road was and where the road was going.
They have all the small turns pretty well defined on Google Maps and can be really helpful in anticipating the road in unknown places when visibility is low. Goes without saying that one will still have to maintain the same high levels of alertness and slow speeds as they would without the maps.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 09:55   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

My golden rule is to:

1. Wait on the side for another car to pass and gauge how deep it is.

2. If there is no other car, I crawl and keep stopping to check the depth. How? By opening the door and looking at how much the front wheel is submerged in the water. Too deep and I back out.
I was returning from Nilgiris a couple of weeks ago and suddenly there was a cloudburst and near a bridge many cars were parked safely on the shoulder. I wondered why they had parked and continued further into the bridge.

I realized why they had stopped immediately as my car entered into about 2 feet of water. It is too late to retract and I continued thanking my stars that I was in a SUV. It ploughed through the raging water and without any drama emerged on the other side.

I am a little scared to open the door to check the depth of the water as the rain water might screw up my door mounted electric controls.
Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 16:10   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
..you need to twist the wiper frame(I mean, the metal holder) slightly in opposite direction using a cutting plyer.
Facing a similar problem, I was directed to the same solution by Bhpian mercedised
(The 'Wiper Blade' Thread) here. I am yet to try it fully but a cursory effort at correcting the angle using bare hands did reduce the sound. Give it a try.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 18:09   #488
BHPian

My personal favourites (gripes):
  • Don't drive with hazard blinkers on. Makes it very hard to identify if you are switching lanes. If you put on hazard lights, stop on the side.
  • Coming down the flyovers on divided highways is almost certain to land you in puddles towards the banking angle. Keep on the farthest lanes from banking.
Old 27th June 2018, 14:29   #489
BHPian

Very thanks for such a sensible thread GTO.
Will implement the safety norms on priority which I wasn't aware earlier.
Suggestions from my side would be
1. Avoid over taking vehicles
2. Stay safe distance than what you maintain when the environment is dry.
Old 27th June 2018, 18:39   #490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Am seeing it on all iterations of Scorpio, so its a Mahindra thing, but this is dangerous.

On this, while I have driven the Storme/Fortuner/Pajero, but am yet to take it in a puddle. Don't know as to how they hold up?
This happens on almost all high GC vehicles with small front overhang. This issue is their in Bolero as well and much less in the Storme as it has more overhang. But the overhang causes issues during offroading. So basically it is compromise between the two. You will see rally gypsys using front mud flaps in order to reduce this effect. We can do the same in our cars but it will look terrible
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 23:25   #491
BHPian

Quote:

The smaller wiper (left side) of my Brio has been as issue since I bought the car. It rises up normally but while coming down, it makes rrrdd-rrrddd sound as if hitting a bump and leaves multiple lines of water half way (like hands of clock or markings on speedometer), rendering the swipe useless. This does not happen in very heavy rains when the wiper is at full speed, but using wiper in moderate rains to drizzle is a big problem. Apparently, the wiper does not flex in the opposite direction when swiping backwards.

I changed the wipers thrice, this time switching to Bosch ones, it worked properly initially but its back to square one again.

Other than old hard blades, this can happen due to slack springs. Get the spring tightened a bit, or change the arm. Or as suggested, check the alignment and twist the angle a bit. One does not need to change blades too often, only when physical damage is evident, or they become too stiff.

I have been running seven year old (OEM) blades by using silicone liquid once in a while on them during summer -- when the sun damage (hardening) is most and usage least. But now the blades are tearing from the frames and I should change them soon !
Old 9th July 2018, 16:02   #492
Senior - BHPian

Got these on wats app fwd video. Took a screen shot. I am not sure how they landed in such deep water. This was supposedly taken at Ghodbunder road. Hope the cars don't get much damaged from the water.

Safe Driving in the Rains-screenshot_20180709140913.png

Safe Driving in the Rains-screenshot_20180709140847.png

Is this why SUV's are getting popular?
Safe Driving in the Rains-screenshot_20180709140934.png
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 17:05   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I have been running seven year old (OEM) blades by using silicone liquid once in a while on them during summer -- when the sun damage (hardening) is most and usage least. But now the blades are tearing from the frames and I should change them soon !
Can you share where can I buy this silicone liquid, what are the specs of the liquid and application procedure?
Old 11th July 2018, 23:22   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Can you share where can I buy this silicone liquid, what are the specs of the liquid and application procedure?
Normal silicone polish you use for dashboard, vinyl, tyre-shine etc. Preferable it should not contain wax, carbon black et all. For one of the cheapest type, search AMAZON.IN for "Wavex Silicone Emulsion". Concentrated one litre bottle, can be diluted at least 50-50, I use it for everything from tyres, wipers, to dashboard, seats, door panels & bumpers. Even furniture and domestic white goods appliances !

Tyres sprayed a few times with this in winter still appear shiny new black after monsoon mud is washed off !

Keeps everything soft and shiny at a fraction of the cost of branded polishes. Simply pour the milky liquid into a spray bottle, or apply with cloth.

You may find something similar at local market, too, depending on location. Professional car polish mistris buy it in bulk. Some rubber parts manufacturers sell large jerrycans full of the wonder product most car and domestic polishes are based on.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 15:54   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

A week ago, I was driving back from Idukki via Angamaly and then the usual route via CBE and Salem. Somewhere between Salem and Dharmapuri, the skies started their Friday night party with loads and loads of thunder and lightning. In few minutes, rains pounded mercilessly over the next 25 minutes and I had to drive under this weather condition along with my family. Here is the Dashcam recording of the same stretch.

Rains start around 3:15.

The winds ensured barricades to fall and land on the road and dislocate. As you can see, there were quite a few instances where I barely passed these barricades that had fallen down (9:40 to 10:05)

As always, as much as possible, I tried to remain on the left lane to avoid getting affected by waterlogged medians or blinded by shower of water from opposite traffic.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th May 2019 at 16:00.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed