Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 1st June 2011, 17:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Vodafone India sues customer for posting defamatory Facebook statuses

When Indians are busy suing companies for lack of this.. that.. and what not, this time, its the other way round!.

Vodafone India sues customer for posting defamatory Facebook statuses

dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vodafone India sues customer for posting defamatory Facebook statuses

If Vodafone has actually done what the article claims they have done, then it sure is a grave offence. They have no right to peek into our private conversations, yes Facebook too.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vodafone India sues customer for posting defamatory Facebook statuses

The last sentence in the article has got me worried.

"This case now has all the makings of an interesting court case and if the court gives an injunction, it could become a precedent for other popular brands to start sending legal notices against other microbloggers."

I better be careful now before cribbing about TATA A.S.S or for that matter any other brand on T-BHP.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 19:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, if he did this, I can understand why vodafone had to take action. If Vodafone had access to his FB, so could millions of other users. While his opinion are his own, the contact numbers are private to respective owners.

Quote:
According to Vodafone, he sent unwarranted text messages to its top management and further posted their numbers and contact details on Facebook. He also had a heated exchange with a female officer regarding Vodafone’s disputed poor 3G service.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 1st June 2011 at 19:17.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 20:47   #5
BHPian

Please read this - gives a bang on analysis of this case

Zoozoos vs. customers | Beast Of Traal.com
wanderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 21:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
If Vodafone has actually done what the article claims they have done, then it sure is a grave offence. They have no right to peek into our private conversations, yes Facebook too.
Well, what you post in Facebook is not necessarily private.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 21:56   #7
BHPian

IMO that's pretty stupid from Vodafone. A whole lot of customers have issues with service providers - some minor, others major. On the other hand very few are thrilled with them. With this case they are giving further reasons to the discontent customers and those sitting on the fence to hate their brand.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:18   #8
BHPian

Absolutely shameful in a free country.
It's a direct consequence of our constitutional (and social) restrictions on freedom of speech, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vodafone wins the case.
We need a paradigm shift in this country - the majority needs to believe that sanctity of the right to freedom of speech cannot be breached under any grounds (defamation/religion/ethnicity/hate speeches etc). Don't like it? Don't hear it!
The only short term solution is to start a facebook community, and ask everyone to come over and threaten Vodafone - "withdraw the case, or we'll switch from Vodafone/Never recommend Vodafone/Never join Vodafone."
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
It's a direct consequence of our constitutional (and social) restrictions on freedom of speech
Just because there is freedom of speech it doesnt mean you can call up any one and defame them.

Quote:
According to Vodafone, he sent unwarranted text messages to its top management and further posted their numbers and contact details on Facebook. He also had a heated exchange with a female officer regarding Vodafone’s disputed poor 3G service.
If the customer has taken all the right routes and been himself instead of his emotion taking over and talking rubbish to female officer, i dont see why it is wrong from Vodafone to file a complaint.

If vodafone was able to access facebook and read the comments, i feel it was not really a private comment. I dont think i can access your wall or your posts if you have the privacy rightly set.

Lets see how this case unfolds.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:58   #10
BHPian

I dont think this will ever go in favour of vodafone !! If that is the case then every cribbing reviews written on team-bhp , mouthshut.com etc will have to be taken out.
If he has verbally abused the lady / got into out-of-control fight then i guess vodafone can file charges but definitely not for what he writes on facebook !!
@400Kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Shameful of vodafone.

Wanderluster has posted a good link.

These people need to ask themselves a basic question - when they give such 3rd class service - do they allow a customer to sue them for non-adherence to any semblance of quality of service? Then how dare they sue customers for talking about their horrible level of service.

Let's see how many people they can sue.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Please read this - gives a bang on analysis of this case

Zoozoos vs. customers | Beast Of Traal.com
Very good one indeed. Makes one to think.

I am keeping a watch on this news

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
The last sentence in the article has got me worried.

"This case now has all the makings of an interesting court case and if the court gives an injunction, it could become a precedent for other popular brands to start sending legal notices against other microbloggers."

I better be careful now before cribbing about TATA A.S.S or for that matter any other brand on T-BHP.
Seriously. There are every chance for that to happen !!
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:10   #13
BHPian

I think Facebook is not a private medium atall, there are many ways to search status/pics/information of unknown individuals in FB, and it reminds me of another case few years back when a student from Kerala blogged things against Shivsena and one Mumbai court had sent him to jail for 6 months. Writing reviews of your own experience and defaming someone is totally different, in our posts in TBHP we normally give our view after experiencing the product(other than few who never drove a particular car but gives full negetive view:exceptions are there)
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:10   #14
BANNED

All these Big time companies do these gimmickry.

I was sent a Bill of Rs 1,32,659/- for my Airtel office lines (17 nos) during 2006.

The problem was inspite of repeated reminders Airtel continued sending me different bills under 3 different customer id's when i was already alloted Single Customer id. All the money that used to be paid used to go in as Excess Payment towards 10 lines, the rest 7 lines used to accumulate charges for over 2 years, but our lines still used to work.

I had to wrestle with Airtel untill 2010 to sort out the issue and surprisingly i had paid Rs.28,000/- in excess which is still yet to be refunded.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:11   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Well, if he did this, I can understand why vodafone had to take action. If Vodafone had access to his FB, so could millions of other users. While his opinion are his own, the contact numbers are private to respective owners.
If customer had security settings baring wall post being seen only by friends, then Vodafone is in trouble! Vodafone has no rights to hack into someones profile. Otherwise Customer is in trouble for posting false information. Vodafone also claims he behaved unruly with their female employees! Since vodafone claims he sent unruly text message to female employees, he will be in trouble for that for sure!
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote