Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th July 2011, 00:34   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Connecting a Samsung TV to PC as a Monitor

Hey guys, I recently bought the Samsung ps51d550 plasma tv. While getting the house done up the electrician ran an hdmi cable from where the tv is to where the computer is, so the cable is about 20ft long at least.

When I tried connecting my comp to the tv through nothing was shown on the screen, the tv did not detect any input. Now I unplugged my Bluray player and connected it from next to my comp on the same hdmi wire and it worked perfectly.

I thought the length of the hdmi may be a problem so I brought my pc next to the tv and used a short hdmi cable, but it still was showing no input.

Then I brought out my old Samsung 26" lcd which I have been using as a monitor, and its getting input from vga as well as hdmi (though a short one). I tried connecting the 26" through hdmi and adjusting resolutions and then disconnecting and plugging in the 51"s hdmi, but it still gave no output.

Infact the computer does not recognise any monitor when the 51" is connected.

I learnt about dual displays, so I connected the 26" using vga and plugged in the hdmi for the big tv also, but since it is not recognised as a monitor there is no dual display option.

Guys I am at a loss, help me out please.

Thanks. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 00:45   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Urgent Help - Connect Samsung Tv to Pc as Monitor

Dude are you using a laptop?
if it is a laptop press the Function Key "Fn" and the function key on your Keyboard that has CRT/LCD written on it. its usually F4 or F8.

If it's not a laptop, then go into the graphics properties in the OS.
you know Right click anywhere in the desktop and goto graphics properties...
you'll have to enable the HDMI port..

What OS are you running?
What Graphics card are you ruinning?
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 01:30   #3
BHPian

Have you tried all the HDMI ports on the 55" TV? Did you try VGA on the 55"?

Sometimes, connecting the cable first and then starting the system might work.

Last edited by Comrade : 4th July 2011 at 01:35.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 01:44   #4
BHPian

If you are on WIN7, you can try this.
Connect the HDMI Cable to TV, while your comp. is ON, you can plug-in the HDMI Cable to your comp output,
Press windows key + P
it should give you options to select multiple scenarios and you can try the projector one, it should work.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 04:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi mate,

I hope you PC/Laptop graphics doesn't support the TV's resolution. My friend's laptop (without dedicated graphics memory) failed to detect the 52" LCD TV where as I'm using my laptop (Compaq CQ40-613AX with 512MB dedicated graphics memory) connected to the same TV.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 08:26   #6
BHPian

@Akshay
Looks like you spent the better part of night (may be day as well) in trying to fix this problem. Okay, let me see if I can help,

I think the computer is not setup for HDMI output.
In absence of adequate details, I am assuming following:-
  • The OS is Win 7
  • The LCD screen is connected via VGA cable (not HDMI)
  • The computer and the TV both have HDMI ports and the HDMI cable is connected in the correct ports on both sides. (ofcourse they would be, but there are times when most knowledgeble of us do most stupid things, so check again.)
  • You want to use your TV as your monitor. (like me)
You may try these steps.
1. Connect both LCD screen and the TV with your computer. Yes, both displays together.

2. Switch on the LCD Screen and TV.

3. Now power on the computer.
You will get a display on both or atleast one (your LCD Screen)
In any case, press Windows Key + R to open run dialog box, or click the Start Orb and type Run and click the 'Run' shortcut.
In the dialog box, type:-

Quote:
desk.cpl
And hit enter/click OK.

A window opens which allows you to adjust resolution of your screens and certain other parameters. See the picture attached. If both displays have been detected, you would see two monitors instead of one (the attached pic has only one monitor)

If not click on Detect button (#3 in the pic)

Click on Display (#1) drop down menu and select the TV.

Click on Resolution (#2) drop down menu and try different resolutions.
If your TV is Full HD (1080p or i), resolution should be 1920x1080, if it is only HD (720p/i) then resolution 1280x720
Hit Apply.

Click identify (#3).

You should see '2' on TV and '1' on Screen.

Now, if you need to make the TV as your default monitor, select appropriate option.

If this did not help, let me know, we may need to get into some advance settings.

ciao.
Attached Thumbnails
Connecting a Samsung TV to PC as a Monitor-modified.png  

cpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 12:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Dude are you using a laptop?
if it is a laptop press the Function Key "Fn" and the function key on your Keyboard that has CRT/LCD written on it. its usually F4 or F8.

If it's not a laptop, then go into the graphics properties in the OS.
you know Right click anywhere in the desktop and goto graphics properties...
you'll have to enable the HDMI port..

What OS are you running?
What Graphics card are you ruinning?
Im running windows 7, with a dh67bl mobo and a i7 2600k. Its the onboard intel hd graphics which I am running.

Ive tried going into graphics properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Have you tried all the HDMI ports on the 55" TV? Did you try VGA on the 55"?

Sometimes, connecting the cable first and then starting the system might work.
Yes I've tried all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
If you are on WIN7, you can try this.
Connect the HDMI Cable to TV, while your comp. is ON, you can plug-in the HDMI Cable to your comp output,
Press windows key + P
it should give you options to select multiple scenarios and you can try the projector one, it should work.
Thank you. I tried that. Still no output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Hi mate,

I hope you PC/Laptop graphics doesn't support the TV's resolution. My friend's laptop (without dedicated graphics memory) failed to detect the 52" LCD TV where as I'm using my laptop (Compaq CQ40-613AX with 512MB dedicated graphics memory) connected to the same TV.
See when its connected with vga the max resolution I get is 1366x768. But when I connected it via hdmi to my monitor I could go upto 1080, which I did, and then swapped cables to the tv cable but I still got no output. I tried a lower resolution too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
@Akshay
Looks like you spent the better part of night (may be day as well) in trying to fix this problem. Okay, let me see if I can help,

I think the computer is not setup for HDMI output.
In absence of adequate details, I am assuming following:-
  • The OS is Win 7
  • The LCD screen is connected via VGA cable (not HDMI)
  • The computer and the TV both have HDMI ports and the HDMI cable is connected in the correct ports on both sides. (ofcourse they would be, but there are times when most knowledgeble of us do most stupid things, so check again.)
  • You want to use your TV as your monitor. (like me)
You may try these steps.
1. Connect both LCD screen and the TV with your computer. Yes, both displays together.

2. Switch on the LCD Screen and TV.

3. Now power on the computer.
You will get a display on both or atleast one (your LCD Screen)
In any case, press Windows Key + R to open run dialog box, or click the Start Orb and type Run and click the 'Run' shortcut.
In the dialog box, type:-

And hit enter/click OK.

A window opens which allows you to adjust resolution of your screens and certain other parameters. See the picture attached. If both displays have been detected, you would see two monitors instead of one (the attached pic has only one monitor)

If not click on Detect button (#3 in the pic)

Click on Display (#1) drop down menu and select the TV.

Click on Resolution (#2) drop down menu and try different resolutions.
If your TV is Full HD (1080p or i), resolution should be 1920x1080, if it is only HD (720p/i) then resolution 1280x720
Hit Apply.

Click identify (#3).

You should see '2' on TV and '1' on Screen.

Now, if you need to make the TV as your default monitor, select appropriate option.

If this did not help, let me know, we may need to get into some advance settings.

ciao.
Thanks alot for the help buddy. But it still is not detecting the tv. Will there be some drivers I have to install for the 51" plasma so that my pc detects it as a monitor?

I tried adjusting the resolution to 1280x720, couldn't go higher because my monitor is on the vga port, so its not giving me higher resolutions.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:42   #8
BHPian

Are you running the latest firmware for your mobo?
The ones which come with the Board are usually Dated.

Try that..

Also i did a little searching on Google.
your TV seems to run on the HDMI 1.4 protocol.
It is supposed to be completely backward compatible.

If your mobo HDMI port runs on an older protocol then that might be the problem.
It should not be.

EDIT:
Just checked...
Your onnboard HDMI port is also 1.3 & 1.4 compliant.
and it is supposed to detect a connection automatically, regardless of the connection status of the other ports.

Update drivers and try another HDMI port in the TV.
that's all i can think of now.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 14:00   #9
BHPian

Seems like a driver issue, another thing could be, if possible you should ask any friend to come with his laptop and you can check the HDMI connectivity using his laptop as video source.

Updating your driver to latest version will certainly help though.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Are you running the latest firmware for your mobo?
The ones which come with the Board are usually Dated.

Try that..

Also i did a little searching on Google.
your TV seems to run on the HDMI 1.4 protocol.
It is supposed to be completely backward compatible.

If your mobo HDMI port runs on an older protocol then that might be the problem.
It should not be.

EDIT:
Just checked...
Your onnboard HDMI port is also 1.3 & 1.4 compliant.
and it is supposed to detect a connection automatically, regardless of the connection status of the other ports.

Update drivers and try another HDMI port in the TV.
that's all i can think of now.
Thanks shekhar. I updated the graphics driver yesterday. Have tried 2-3 diff ports on the tv.

Ill check for the board firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Seems like a driver issue, another thing could be, if possible you should ask any friend to come with his laptop and you can check the HDMI connectivity using his laptop as video source.

Updating your driver to latest version will certainly help though.
Even I'm quite sure its a driver issue. I mean as soon as my pc recognizes the tv it will be good.

Any ideas what driver to install?
Old 4th July 2011, 22:31   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Connecting a Samsung TV to PC as a Monitor

please check your display properties for driver version, if out-dated you can download the latest from Intel website using this link.

Do keep us posted :-)
Old 5th July 2011, 13:01   #12
BHPian

For me its very simple. I just plugin the Cable from the monitor to TV. I have a Samsung LCD and it provide a monitor port.
My HP laptop works flawless.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 13:32   #13
BHPian

1. Please try a VGA cable instead of HDMI, and check if you get a BIOS screen. If you are not able to get a BIOS screen to show on the display, you're out of luck unless you have a second display to work off.

2. If you get a BIOS screen but no Windows screens, try forcing VGA mode. This is usually achieved by pressing F8 as the computer boots and selecting 'VGA mode' before Windows starts.

3. If you are able to get both screens but not able to select the correct native resolution, the panel may not be talking correctly to the display driver. This is very common with Intel and ATI chipsets, which have a hard time reading monitor EDID through a HDMI connection. Again, please try using the VGA cable first.

4. Some chipsets may have problems with awkward EDID requirements. My Philips display, for example, had a refresh rate of 59.835Hz whereas the display output was fixed 60Hz. I had massive problems with frame drops because of this, solving it by manually fixing the refresh rate.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 14:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
For me its very simple. I just plugin the Cable from the monitor to TV. I have a Samsung LCD and it provide a monitor port.
My HP laptop works flawless.
Thanks bro, that makes me feel much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
1. Please try a VGA cable instead of HDMI, and check if you get a BIOS screen. If you are not able to get a BIOS screen to show on the display, you're out of luck unless you have a second display to work off.

2. If you get a BIOS screen but no Windows screens, try forcing VGA mode. This is usually achieved by pressing F8 as the computer boots and selecting 'VGA mode' before Windows starts.

3. If you are able to get both screens but not able to select the correct native resolution, the panel may not be talking correctly to the display driver. This is very common with Intel and ATI chipsets, which have a hard time reading monitor EDID through a HDMI connection. Again, please try using the VGA cable first.

4. Some chipsets may have problems with awkward EDID requirements. My Philips display, for example, had a refresh rate of 59.835Hz whereas the display output was fixed 60Hz. I had massive problems with frame drops because of this, solving it by manually fixing the refresh rate.
VGA will be a bit tough since its far away from the tv.

But what your saying is that first connect it with vga, so that it recognises the tv, and then I can switch over to hdmi? Is that right?

Thanks alot guys.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thanks bro, that makes me feel much better.

VGA will be a bit tough since its far away from the tv.

But what your saying is that first connect it with vga, so that it recognises the tv, and then I can switch over to hdmi? Is that right?

Thanks alot guys.
I have also connected my Sony Bravia using both VGA and HDMI cableas and it works like a charm. Initially, I was also having the same problem as yours.Later, I selected the input source as "Computer" from the LCD menu and voila!! it worked. Hope it helps.
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote