Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd June 2015, 12:23   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Is Airtel Nationalised?

I believe I wont be the only one who feels the pain with pathetic data speeds.

I use Airtel 3G and the only time I get decent speeds is back in my home, where I already have a broadband connection. Rest of the time it is always 'E'.

What is funny is that one of my friends who used Vodafone (which uses the Airtel network for Data in Karnataka) shows much better speeds than mine. Apparently, Vodafone CC has instructed their customers to manually select IND Airtel for better speeds. And, the damn arrangement works! Suspect something fishy here.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:39   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Suspect something fishy here.
Voda uses AirTel for 3G, that is all. They've probably bought a certain amount of capacity from AirTel, and that is probably under-utilised. This may explain the 'better speed' compared to an AirTel network whose customers are on 3G by default without having to select another network on instruction from CC (which is perfectly legitimate).
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:38   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Voda uses AirTel for 3G, that is all. They've probably bought a certain amount of capacity from AirTel, and that is probably under-utilised.

Speeds - Yes, can be possible. But if the same signal (Airtel) is used by both the Airtel user and Vodafone user - how can his phone show 'H' while mine shows 'E'. And mind you, it's the same phone as well.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:57   #169
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
I believe I wont be the only one who feels the pain with pathetic data speeds.

I use Airtel 3G and the only time I get decent speeds is back in my home, where I already have a broadband connection. Rest of the time it is always 'E'.

What is funny is that one of my friends who used Vodafone (which uses the Airtel network for Data in Karnataka) shows much better speeds than mine. Apparently, Vodafone CC has instructed their customers to manually select IND Airtel for better speeds. And, the damn arrangement works! Suspect something fishy here.
I am and Airtel customer and facing the same problem, not to mention, some of my colleagues as well. Moreover, the network (data and not voice) is so bad that if I leave the phone in 3G mode, the phone keeps searching for H+ network and keeps fluctuating between H+ to H to 2G so much that the fully charged phone battery is dead in less than half a day with minimal usage.

Cherry on the cake: my colleague's 4G connection works well at the same spot. Wonder why not the 3G connection!!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:14   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how can his phone show 'H' while mine shows 'E'. And mind you, it's the same phone as well.
3G band busy/all resources allocated on your network, hence allocated 2G. Or you could be sitting at the same spot but may be connected to different towers/sectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Cherry on the cake: my colleague's 4G connection works well at the same spot. Wonder why not the 3G connection!!
4G / 3G use different access and core network technologies. 4G sites are very different from 3G sites.

Please note that 4G is an all-ip network. If your network offers VoLTE, then it means that your phone calls are also IP calls.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd June 2015 at 16:20. Reason: Merged
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:24   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Now with BSNL going for free roaming starting 15th June, and the 0 prefix being dropped from other region numbers we are more or less ready. So first free roaming, and then full portability. Already, on fixed phones BSNL is allowing free calls between 10:00pm and 6:00am to all fixed and mobile networks. So when do we see free calls across the land!! I still remember in 1997 calls from Manipal to Kanpur were charged at ₹80 per minute on the peak rate!!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:29   #172
BHPian

I use Airtel data only sim for my IPad. Recently I have upgraded my plan to 4G, and also got the sim changed. I have now waited for more than a week. Even now the IPad shows it as a 3G connection.

Any idea if its a problem with the account, sim or IPAD ? Also any idea how does one complain or reach customer care if they have a data sim?
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:46   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I use Airtel data only sim for my IPad. Recently I have upgraded my plan to 4G, and also got the sim changed. I have now waited for more than a week. Even now the IPad shows it as a 3G connection.
Check the model of your iPad and see what LTE bands it supports. India uses (until the newly purchased frequencies are used by the operators) the very unusual LTE Band 40 (2300 mhz FDD LTE).

See if your iPad supports LTE Band 40 (check Model # behind iPad and check LTE support with the model number). If it doesn't, you cannot use LTE currently on this iPad.

Either upgrade your iPad or wait for the operators to roll-out LTE on the newly bought and more common 1800/900/1900 bands.

PS: I'm assuming you've turned 4G/LTE 'ON' under Settings>Cellular

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd June 2015 at 18:58.
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:03   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Check the model of your iPad and see what LTE bands it supports. India uses (until the newly purchased frequencies are used by the operators) the very unusual LTE Band 40 (2300 mhz FDD LTE).

PS: I'm assuming you've turned 4G/LTE 'ON' under Settings>Cellular
Thanks, this is the first time I tried searching the model no. Its a A1460, and as per the specs it supports the following:
1 (2100 MHz)
3 (1800 MHz)
5 (850 MHz)
13 (700c MHz)
25 (1900 MHz)

As per the below fonearena site, the LTE rollout in Chennai is based on 1800MHZ FDD-LTE 3. While the earlier ones at Pune, Kolkata, and Bengaluru uses the TDD-LTE
http://www.fonearena.com/blog/140771...ice-as-3g.html

Yep, I have enabled the LTE option, but it throws a warning "The mobile network has not been certified by the carrier for LTE on iPad"

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 3rd June 2015 at 21:07.
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:22   #175
BHPian

Hi,
Over the past 3-4 days I have been facing lot of difficulty in outgoing. It requires me to redial 3 times every time I dial before the call gets going and the ringing tone can be heard. Is it something with the mobile or with the service? I spoke to a few friends and they were not sure. By the way I use a Note 4 and my service is Airtel Bangalore. Has anyone experienced the same?
sumzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:31   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Yep, I have enabled the LTE option, but it throws a warning "The mobile network has not been certified by the carrier for LTE on iPad"
Is your mobile network an Apple supported one? The reason I ask is that carrier configuration settings are directly sent by compatible networks to the iOS device and therefore it normally does not require any tweaking.

I'm not sure which LTE networks are Apple certified in India - typically you look for the ones that sell the iPhones officially (AirTel/Aircel?).

PS: See here: https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/ None of the Indian networks seems to be certified as per this page, which is really strange.

Also try this: Connect your iPad to your computer, and on iTunes you will find Serial number listed in the device summary page under Name, Capacity, Software version etc. Click on the Serial number and it should change to another identifier. Keep clicking until you get to Identifier (UDID). Copy the UDID and save it. Visit a good business centre of your carrier that is likely to have knowledgeable service agents. Tell them your problem and if they ask for your UDID it means they know how to enable it. Give it to the guy who asks for UDID.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd June 2015 at 21:47.
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:48   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PS: See here: https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/ None of the Indian networks seems to be certified as per this page, which is really strange.
Stranger because it was listed earlier, i am dead sure since i have quoted with links about model and compatibility. iPhone it was but that also has been removed.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:52   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Stranger because it was listed earlier, i am dead sure since i have quoted with links about model and compatibility. iPhone it was but that also has been removed.
Could it be because most of the LTE SPs in India are trying to transition out of the 2300 mhz band into 1800/900/850/1900?

Basically 2300 requires too many towers to service an area - which is one of the reasons why Reliance Jio which threatened to launch in 2012/13 hasn't gone commercial so far. Everyone's trying to buy spectrum in the lower bands so they don't have to put up so many towers - else it doesn't make economic sense.
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:03   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Is your mobile network an Apple supported one? The reason I ask is that carrier configuration settings are directly sent by compatible networks to the iOS device and therefore it normally does not require any tweaking....
It was enabled by default, I tried disabling it, and enabling back to see if it solves the problem.

I am hoping that if it required any network setting, it should already be set since I had specifically told them that the sim and plan is for iPad. In fact its a data only sim/plan, which is a major headache, as I cannot call customer care from it.

I had also reached out to their technical team, who confirmed that the device is supported, and the connection has been upgraded to 4G. The only excuse they could give me was, pls. wait for a few days as the servers needs to be updated. This was 2 weeks back. I really do not have confidence in their technical/operations team, to figure out if its a tech issue or an operational one
Old 7th June 2015, 17:18   #180
BHPian

^^^^ After exhausting all options, finally reached out to them on twitter. Its then I understand that data only sim does not come under the regular options, and hence had to be handled differently. So after "upgrading" to 4g at the Airtel shop, it had not really been upgraded at the backend. Once on twitter, they promptly looked into it and informed me the issue, and upgraded the same.

The Ipad now shows LTE, the the download speed last checked was 5Mbps. Anyway its now upgraded and the symbol reflects the same.