Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 17th August 2011, 17:27   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Google Is Buying Motorola (Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Now that MM has gone to Google, Microsoft might be interested in RIM.
I doubt Microsoft would be interested in RIM, now that they have such a close partnership with Nokia. I think if Microsoft does try a takeover, it might be Nokia and not RIM. But it is true that there might be other companies which are interested in the patents that RIM holds.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 17:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Apart from patents RIM holds, Microsoft get a foot in the enterprise mobile space. Right now Microsoft is zero in that space. Apple is not into enterprise business and hence RIM may not fit into their plan. Google has already spent on MM and might not want spend again on RIM. HTC would be too small to bid for RIM. That leaves Samsung. I don't think Samsung would go for RIM.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 18:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Google's patent portfolio was extremely weak just 1K patents as people say patents work on MAD principle so this cuban missal crisis for Google is over.
No one cares actually in heap of patents what they actually are but as long as there are some one can go ahead and sue if one gets sued.

I feel the image factor in eyes of judiciary is also an important factor though no US based blogger will openly say it for similar reasons we do not say much about judicial decisions in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
. That leaves Samsung. I don't think Samsung would go for RIM.
Samsung had chance to acquire Qualcomm at one point in 2001-02 ( not hearsay but fact) top boss ( no 2 in hierarchy ) refused.
No one realized the true valuation for patents before 2011 , the Nortel 6000 patent sale happened for 6 billion after that everything looks cheap.
Before this when Motorola was up for sale the analysits were using usual time tested methods of valuation which are more appropriate for manufacturing industry.

May be if RIM goes belly up then for winding up they can sell the patent portfolio for few billions rather then finding a partner to buy them.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 18:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

One additional point I sincerely hope Google infuses some sense in Motorola along with cash and do not adopt Mot practices ( touted as best practices by Quality parasites) As of now Google and Motorola work cultures are 180 degree apart.

Motorola was company which claims to invent 6 Sigma. The 2nd center in world and first in India to be CMM-Level 5 was MIEL in Bangalore, where I worked and it was coveted and respected place to work in those days just in same way internet companies are today.
But let me tell you from personal experience for a consumer electronics - software company this is just plain waste of time and more of social benefit scheme for some highly paid people like NREGA of Manmohan Singh

What was done by Mot in 1 full year cycle is doable in 3-6 months elsewhere. After leaving Motorola when I see the speed of execution elsewhere I could understand why Motorola kept on failing and selling off divisions after divisions in each subsequent economic crisis.

Last edited by amitk26 : 17th August 2011 at 18:33.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote