Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th October 2011, 17:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Sonos multi room audio update

I am not sure if any thread exists about Sonos here, so my apologies if this is redundant.

In the last couple of months, starting with one zone, I now have a 4 zone system at home that has expanded my home audio horizons dramatically, that may be of interest.

What makes it now a very workable solution is the availability of these via Amazon. For a 22% markup on the advertised price on Amazon US for air freight and all Indian duties, all parts of the system are now available, door delivery to the home, in 7-10 days from ordering on Amazon. Delivered to the Indian home's doorstep from Amazon warehouses in the US, a remarkable achievement of delivery logistics by Amazon.

In 4 different part of the house I can now play all my many CDs, along with the thousands of internet radio stations that are available for free listening.

Where the CD replay is concerned, the audio quality via wifi/Sonosnet is just as good as what my audio systems can produce when playing via a hard wire connected CD player. The advantage of course is that I can now have this sound played in all or any of the zones/rooms at the same time. And this can be the same music in perfect synch, or different music in different rooms. All controlled by a free app on an iPod touch.

The installation is a significant investment, but one can build it up one zone at a time in a modular fashion. The only prerequisite is to have broadband wifi at home.

With world class support available off the net in India as well, it works very well indeed. In addition, there is forum available for support as well, structured very like this forum.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:30   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Sonos multi room audio update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I am not sure if any thread exists about Sonos here, so my apologies if this is redundant.

In the last couple of months, starting with one zone, I now have a 4 zone system at home that has expanded my home audio horizons dramatically, that may be of interest.

What makes it now a very workable solution is the availability of these via Amazon. For a 22% markup on the advertised price on Amazon US for air freight and all Indian duties, all parts of the system are now available, door delivery to the home, in 7-10 days from ordering on Amazon. Delivered to the Indian home's doorstep from Amazon warehouses in the US, a remarkable achievement of delivery logistics by Amazon.

In 4 different part of the house I can now play all my many CDs, along with the thousands of internet radio stations that are available for free listening.

Where the CD replay is concerned, the audio quality via wifi/Sonosnet is just as good as what my audio systems can produce when playing via a hard wire connected CD player. The advantage of course is that I can now have this sound played in all or any of the zones/rooms at the same time. And this can be the same music in perfect synch, or different music in different rooms. All controlled by a free app on an iPod touch.

The installation is a significant investment, but one can build it up one zone at a time in a modular fashion. The only prerequisite is to have broadband wifi at home.

With world class support available off the net in India as well, it works very well indeed. In addition, there is forum available for support as well, structured very like this forum.
Sawyer,

Bumped into this thread by luck. I have always been curious about the Sonos Multiroom system and with me using the Iphone 4 and wife using an Ipod touch the free app is an ideal choice to go with this.

may I ask what how much did you spend in all with a breakup so I can start planning how to convince wifey?

thanks.
plimsollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 06:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
Sawyer,

Bumped into this thread by luck. I have always been curious about the Sonos Multiroom system and with me using the Iphone 4 and wife using an Ipod touch the free app is an ideal choice to go with this.

may I ask what how much did you spend in all with a breakup so I can start planning how to convince wifey?

thanks.
Look at the prices on Amazon US, convert to rupees, multiply by 1.23 to get the price delivered to your doorstep. Sonos doesn't have a distributor in India.
Depending on what audio equipment you have, you can decide what Sonos units to start with. You can start with one, and then extend to other rooms with more units, as your budget permits.
I am now up to speed with the entire range and what works best and what other things are needed - or not - to start. And there is also a much better knowledge base in the Sonos forum.

Last edited by Sawyer : 26th November 2011 at 06:44.
Old 26th November 2011, 07:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Let me see if I can help you start -
1. In the room you want to start, what kind of audio system do you presently have?
2. Do you have a wifi network at home already, and if so, can you run a lan cable from the router to the sonos unit needed in that room, given that the sonos unit will also have to be wire connected to your existing audio?
3. Do you have a HDD on your home network?
Depending on the answers, I can recommend a starting set up and you can figure out the cost from Amazon.
Old 26th November 2011, 07:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
1. In the room you want to start, what kind of audio system do you presently have?
2. Do you have a wifi network at home already, and if so, can you run a lan cable from the router to the sonos unit needed in that room, given that the sonos unit will also have to be wire connected to your existing audio?
3. Do you have a HDD on your home network?
Depending on the answers, I can recommend a starting set up and you can figure out the cost from Amazon.
I will go first, . I have seen these in UK and was interested in buying but never understood how this will help. So here are answers to your questions.

1. Hall, Have Onkyo and might buy something else (Still looking)
2. Yes, but cannot run LAN cable across the house
3. Yes

So here is the deal. I currently have WD Media player connected to Onkyo and USB HDD. The first thing i am planning to do is get a High bandwidth wifi router, connect a massive (4TG) network storage to the router. And then i am planning to somehow enable the WD Media player Wifi enabled (Or replace it in future). So as i can stream music/Movie to any Wifi enabled device in the house.

When we move to our house i would like to have music in all rooms on both floors. How can Sonos help in this.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 09:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
1. Hall, Have Onkyo and might buy something else (Still looking)
2. Yes, but cannot run LAN cable across the house
3. Yes

So here is the deal. I currently have WD Media player connected to Onkyo and USB HDD. The first thing i am planning to do is get a High bandwidth wifi router, connect a massive (4TG) network storage to the router. And then i am planning to somehow enable the WD Media player Wifi enabled (Or replace it in future). So as i can stream music/Movie to any Wifi enabled device in the house.

When we move to our house i would like to have music in all rooms on both floors. How can Sonos help in this.
If you can't run a Lan cable across - most people can't or don't want to - you will need a Sonos bridge. Sonos runs on Sonosnet, a Sonos designed wifi, that runs parallel to regular wifi. Connect the little box that is the bridge to the router via a short lan cable, and then the bridge will form the hub of Sonosnet, picking up the broadband from the router, and broadcasting internet radio wirelessly to all Sonos units. With the network storage also connected to the same router, the bridge will also access all music files( CD rips or downloads) stored on the router, and broadcast these as well.
A Sonos Connect, aka zp90, will receive the broadcast from the bridge. Use analog cable to connect the analog out sockets of the zp90 to the analog line inputs on the onkyo, or any future amp. If the router and the amp are in the same room, that is all you need. If the router/bridge are too far away from the zp90/onkyo, you may need another bridge to be used as a wireless extender. Future Sonos units that you add for other music playing rooms also act as extenders, making Sonosnet more robust as more units are added.
Finally, you need to download the free Sonos controller to your computer to set up the system, and then to control it via regular wifi. Free Sonos controllers are also available for iPod touch/iphones, for remote control, but these too work off the regular wifi, so they need to be able to receive that signal if they are to work, they send messages to the zp90 via the router/bridge set up.
Assuming that the router and the Onkyo are in the same room, or in rooms next to each other, what you need to buy to get started is the zp90+bridge. If the only use for the Onkyo is 2 channel music, Sonos also has the Connect Amp, aka zp120, which is a zp90 with an amplifier added, which will then replace the Onkyo, and connect via speaker cables to your speakers.
Either way, you will then be able to play the hundreds of internet radio stations as well as the music you have stored on the router attached HDD, all of them controlled via the free Sonos controller. And the sound quality will be as good as what the Onkyo gives you today.
Expanding to more rooms means adding a Sonos unit to each room.
Sonos also has zone players, if you do not have amps or speakers, and these sound as good as any premium iPod dock in the market made by Bose, B&W etc. In one box all the zp90 features are present, plus the box has amplification and speakers inside it.
This sounds complex, but it sets up in a shorter time than it takes to explain it.
Sonos is dedicated to music, it won't work for video.

Last edited by Sawyer : 26th November 2011 at 09:19.
Old 26th November 2011, 10:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Another useful feature of Sonos is that each Sonos box is also an internet switch with a LAN port. Connect any device like a lan port carrying printer to Sonos via a Lan cable, and the printer will be on the network. Or a wifiless computer for that matter, to internet enable it in a place away from the router.
Old 9th May 2014, 09:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if there are any other users here.
My system has performed very well since I bought it in 2011, and I find that I hardly ever listen to my TT/SACD/Quad/Harbeth main system, so that has just gone on OLX.
After a long time, Amazon US has restarted shipments to India, with free shipping. At the dollar prices on the site plus 20% for Indian customs duties, it is now a reasonable buy, compared to the silly prices being quoted for India sales in a few places.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:01   #9
BHPian

Never actually heard Sonus perform.
What are the sonus speakers that you have in each room ?

These days with Airplay enabled devices there are multiple ways of streaming so it would be tough for them to sell unless they have local dealers with demo centers etc..
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 12:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Play 1, Play 5, Connect Amp wired to Quad 11Ls, Connect playing through Harbeths. And the Sub on order. The speakers drive the sound quality, Sonos can deliver CD quality via wireless across the home. And the dedicated wifi protocol means that it will not drop when home wifi bandwidth is stretched. Airplay will, since it uses home wifi. The other advantage Sonos has is in being also able to play different music in each room, from the same source - either the broadband connection or from music files on the network attached HDD.
I don't think they are currently too worried about not selling in India.

Last edited by Sawyer : 9th May 2014 at 13:09.
Old 29th April 2015, 14:23   #11
BHPian

so stereo set ups in two rooms ( which would share a common NAS ) would need 2 sonos connects.. Am i right? each sonos connect would be plugged into each of the amps in each room..
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 16:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am not here often, hence the delay. Yes, it would take 2 connects, wired to the two amps. Having said that, given the high Connect pricing, a pair of play 1 units would do a good job for small/moderate sized rooms, allowing the entire stereo system to be used elsewhere or sold.