Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th December 2012, 12:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mobile operators in India - Plans pricing and services

Looking for a prepaid 3G sim card for my smartphone and was told that new regulations causes activation to take up to 15 days?

If this 10-15 days thing is true I shudder to think of what the Telecom companies are doing in terms of business strategy.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but couldnt search for the string "3G".
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 14:44   #32
BHPian

Not sure if this helps, but there is this website http://www.yourbillbuddy.com/welcome.do You can upload your bill and it supposedly "analyzes" your bill in terms of Number of calls you make, Number of texts you send etc and then gives you the suggestion where you can get "better" rates from other other operators or other plans.

--I am in no way related to them!
bond_bhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 15:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Looking for a prepaid 3G sim card for my smartphone and was told that new regulations causes activation to take up to 15 days?

If this 10-15 days thing is true I shudder to think of what the Telecom companies are doing in terms of business strategy.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but couldnt search for the string "3G".
Yes this is the current problem, not just with 3g but with normal connections as well. I went to get a new sim for my mother, and the shopkeepers told that sims arent being activated these days. And this was happening in all networks. Most of the shops in the city are saying the same thing.

What is this new rule?
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 16:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Yes this is the current problem, not just with 3g but with normal connections as well.

What is this new rule?
A much more stringent verification procedure, that came into effect in November. Here's an article I found:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...quisition-form
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 13:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Idea cellular increased the tariffs of all its internet packs.
Today I recharged with the 47 rs net pack which earlier used to give 500MB for15 days. But I was surprised when I got just 300MB for 10 days.

I think this is the time to use Mobile Network Portability.

Which network provider offers net packs at better rates and gives fair internet speed? Idea is offering 1GB for a month at 125rs.
dZired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 13:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Which network provider offers net packs at better rates and gives fair internet speed? Idea is offering 1GB for a month at 125rs.
Postpaid? Airtel has a Rs. 98/2GB plan for GPRS available in all circles. Super useful.

Airtel also has a Rs. 250/1GB plan for 3G, at least here in Bangalore. Works like a charm - I have cut my mobile bill a lot by speaking to folks abroad over Skype
Old 28th December 2012, 17:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Idea cellular increased the tariffs of all its internet packs.
Today I recharged with the 47 rs net pack which earlier used to give 500MB for15 days. But I was surprised when I got just 300MB for 10 days.
Vodafone has increased prices too.

the Rs 95 1GB plan with 30 days validity has been replaced with a 650MB plan for 21 days!!
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 20:33   #38
BHPian

A riddle for you guys:

How do you get 4gb/month 2 gb data at rs 55/month?

drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 21:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
A riddle for you guys:

How do you get 4gb/month 2 gb data at rs 55/month?

Its 2G data i suppose.
Handset bundle offer? Or threatening the operator to port out. Have worked a lot of times for me Now they are stricter though.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 21:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post

Its 2G data i suppose.
Handset bundle offer? Or threatening the operator to port out. Have worked a lot of times for me Now they are stricter though.
Good try.but no... its available to everyone..
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 23:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Talking of data connection plans,

Airtel has increased the data plan rent again. This is for Pre-paid.

Rs.98/month - 2GB, to
Rs.98/month - 1GB, now
Rs.125/month - 1GB.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 00:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Postpaid? Airtel has a Rs. 98/2GB plan for GPRS available in all circles. Super useful.
Thanks for the prompt reply mate.

I am a prepaid user.
I have had very bad experiences with AirTel in the past. They deducted almost 300 rupees from my account in the name of some silly services even when I never subscribed to any of those service. I literally broke the sim and threw it away. Moreover my father uses AirTel and has quite high call charges. So want to stay away from AirTel.

Looks like all network providers have increased their net pack tariffs to around 125rs for 1GB for a month. Idea, vodafone, AirTel are already on this list. Any new entries?
dZired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 08:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They deducted almost 300 rupees from my account in the name of some silly services even when I never subscribed to any of those service. I literally broke the sim and threw it away. Moreover my father uses AirTel and has quite high call charges. So want to stay away from AirTel.
As far as the tariff plans go, this is the one I am on:

http://www.airtel.in/applications/xm...ataka&PID=3141

Comparing with Vodafone's entry level plan, this is definitely cheaper. Plus, the 750 free minutes means that I don't even get charged for many of my calls during a typical month. I don't know why your father is getting charged high - in my case, it goes high only if I make ISD calls (and as I mentioned previously, with the superb 3G service I am using Skype a lot more and ISD a lot less. A one-hour Skype call uses about 16MB of data, as per my Android).
Old 4th January 2013, 11:49   #44
BHPian

Idea launches ‘Buffet Plan’ for postpaid users, starting at Rs.899

Idea launches ‘Buffet Plan’ for postpaid users, starting at Rs.899

The Idea ‘Buffet Plan’ consists of three plans which are priced at Rs.899, Rs.1299 and Rs.1599 for Idea postpaid users.

Idea users who opt for the Buffet plan at Rs.899 will get 4,000 Local and STD minutes apart from 1,000 Roaming Mobile minutes and 450 Local & National SMS every month. And if you wish that for 3G data usage too, then the plan priced at Rs.1299 will give you 5 GB of 3G data usage along with the above mentioned Voice call minutes and SMS.

The Buffet plan priced at Rs.1599 will offer Idea user 10,000 Local, STD and Roaming Mobile minutes, 1,000 Local & National SMS, along with 8 GB 3G Data every month.

http://mobigyaan.com/idea-launches-b...ting-at-rs-899
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 13:53   #45
BHPian

Friends, any news on removing the roaming charges? In the second week of Dec'2012 there was a news that it would in force from 1st of Jan, 2013. But this did not happen.
rnidumolu is offline   Reply With Quote