Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th January 2013, 14:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mobile operators in India - Plans pricing and services

I recently purchased a smartphone and wanted a plan just for data. My colleague had a Tata Docomo prepaid on which he had 2G [gprs] internet which had very good speeds, when compared with Airtel's super slow 2G.

Impressed, I went looking for a Tata Docomo prepaid sim and let me tell you it was a horrible experience. First, Tata Docomo's own retail/brand stores don't deal with prepaid. How silly and high handed? They asked that I go source one from the branded mobile retailers.

Sangeetha, Spice Hotspot, Univercell don't have any Tata Docomo prepaid sims. After a lot of hunting I got one from a small setup [not a shop] in the building of PNB at Indiranagar, near BDA building.

The new activation rules are surely taxing on the consumers. I had to wait about 2 days [+ 2 holidays] before the SIM was activated. Reaching TD's customer service rep was another daunting task. The IVR almost never lets you. You're likely to give up before you exhaust all options before reaching one. I finally got the 3G settings activated by contacting TD CS rep over live chat.

TD's 3G speed is good, pretty good, but not Airtel 3G great. The plan I got [which, I sadly learnt, expires this month] was for 250 rupees, one gets Rs. 250 worth of talktime [at 1.2 p/sec] AND 1GB of internet at 3G speed and then, unlimited internet at 2G speeds [and I've seen that their 2G speed is good].

When I recharge in Jan, I will opt for the RC149 plan. It seems to be the best 2G plan for me, where I will get 4GB of data for Rs. 149.. If you can find good signal reception [3 out of 4 bars], go for TD 2G, it might work well.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Mobile operators in India - Plans pricing and services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
Apart from what Farukh has mentioned,

- You cannot receive an itemized billed (soft or hard copy) with a prepaid connection.
You can receive itemized bill statement with some providers. Tata Docomo provides one, for prepaid, for Rs. 25/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
What you can do is to register all the mobile numbers with the "Do not disturb" registry.

The link for airtel is as follows: http://www.airtel.in/applications/dnd/DND_mobile.jsp.

Avoid disclosing your mobile numbers in malls, retail outlets and the like, this will help to some extent.
Voluntary disclosure of our mobile number is probably not the primary cause for telemarketing nuisance. I have an Airtel 3G connection, which uses a 3G sim that also had a 10 digit mobile number. The only work it does, is always remain connected to my wi-fi router. I don't even know or remember what this 10 digit number is.

Now, on this 3G datacard number, I have got text messages that are marketing or selling some product or service. How do you think those marketers got my number? I have never shared this number with anyone. Let alone that, like I said, I don't even know what the number is. It is clear proof that Airtel sells our numbers to telemarketers. I just don't have the time to pursue a case [civil or criminal?] against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Looking for a prepaid 3G sim card for my smartphone and was told that new regulations causes activation to take up to 15 days?

If this 10-15 days thing is true I shudder to think of what the Telecom companies are doing in terms of business strategy..
This has nothing to do with business strategy of Telecom companies, it's TRAI's new mandate to do extensive verification before a connection is activated. At maximum, it should take 7 days. Anything beyond is lax in operator's turn around.

But I think this plan is a failure too. I don't understand what 'extensive verification' an operator should do? When I got airtel post paid plans, I got calls to verify and also a field operative showed up at home and physically verified. Vodafone too, verified twice over phone.

With Tata Docomo [prepaid], I did not even get a call, forget physical verification. I had to call a number when I saw signal reception on the phone. All I did was read out my address and contact details and all is good. Strange.

Last edited by k_ajay : 4th January 2013 at 15:05.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

This 10-15 days delay should be taken with a pinch of salt.

A colleague of mine got a new Idea corporate, postpaid sim activated in 2 days of filling the form. The verification process was done within the two days and completed.

Similarly in my case, ignoring the delays of Vodafone in allowing me to port out, the Idea side of the verification did not take more than 2 days.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Similarly in my case, ignoring the delays of Vodafone in allowing me to port out, the Idea side of the verification did not take more than 2 days.
Did you get any special plan from IDEA for porting in your number with them ?
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 23:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Did you get any special plan from IDEA for porting in your number with them ?
Nothing special, just a corporate plan that has been offered for my company. I can avail the same on a new sim (as my colleague did).
Old 5th January 2013, 08:02   #51
BHPian

Recharge online from virgin mobile website. 1000 rs top up gives 1210 talk time..

Then select rs 201 2g plan from the USSD menu to get 12 gb data for 90 days....

This is the best 2g plan and is very popular with the college crowd....

Tata do como has also launched 89 rs recharge with 1 gb 2g data + 1.2p/2sec billing pulse, local and STD...
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 18:23   #52
Team-BHP Support

I am looking to exit from reliance to either Idea or Airtel, but Airtel tariffs seem quite a bit higher than IDEA, esp for per second plans.
People on IDEA, how is 3G coverage? How is roaming? Do they have tie ups with other operators also? Reliance does not have any tieup, so on many trips I am left with no mobile coverage.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 19:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am looking to exit from reliance to either Idea or Airtel, but Airtel tariffs seem quite a bit higher than IDEA, esp for per second plans.
People on IDEA, how is 3G coverage? How is roaming? Do they have tie ups with other operators also? Reliance does not have any tieup, so on many trips I am left with no mobile coverage.
Hi Tanveer,
Airtel is a better bet for 3G coverage. But offlate, airtel network has certainly slowed down atleast in my city, Mangalore. Calls get disconnected randomly, sudden outage of network & what not :-(. Vodafone 3G is good but I feel airtel has got 3G licenses in more circles. I have been using Vodafone & they are very good even if their packages are a little expensive.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

I want to port from Aircel to Vodafone in Dilli. Connection will be voice, 3G+BB BIS combo.

Anyone on Vodafone in NCR, how is the network quality especially during peak hours and in basements, lifts. How is the data transfer speed compared to say Airtel?

Wanted to port to DOCOMO but am given to understand they are not operating in NCR.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:36   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!

I am currently using two sim cards, one is from BSNL & other from Reliance.

I wish to use just one mobile as it is PITA to carry two phones (have used dual sim phones, but choice is limited & there are network/phone issues sooner or later)

I am thinking to convert my BSNL no. to AirTel (post-paid) & use just one number.

My question is while traveling, would I regret not having a BSNL no. or a back-up phone?

How is AirTel's network? I have found it to have the best coverage at the place where I stay. And this is where it would be used most. Someone or the other traveling with me might me having an alternate connection.

Let me know of the coverage status (frequent travelers)

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd March 2013 at 23:37.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

I am currently using two sim cards, one is from BSNL & other from Reliance.

I wish to use just one mobile as it is PITA to carry two phones (have used dual sim phones, but choice is limited & there are network/phone issues sooner or later)

I am thinking to convert my BSNL no. to AirTel (post-paid) & use just one number.

My question is while traveling, would I regret not having a BSNL no. or a back-up phone?

How is AirTel's network? I have found it to have the best coverage at the place where I stay. And this is where it would be used most. Someone or the other traveling with me might me having an alternate connection.

Let me know of the coverage status (frequent travelers)

Thanks
Why don't you get yourself an android dual sim phone like, S duos or HTC desire VC. Have both of them in family and my cousins using them are pretty happy with them
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 13:23   #57
BHPian

I am planning to buy a 3G enabled tablet and need a pre paid data plan for it.

The tablet would mostly be used at home, on the wifi network. Still I need 3G connectivity for those rare occasions when I am traveling. Hence a pre paid plan would suit me better.

Please suggest a good 3G operator and pre paid plan for me.

I already have 2 post paid connections, one from Airtel and another from Docomo. I am happy with these 2 operators for voice connectivity, but have never used data connectivity on mobile.

My home network is Bangalore and my home town is Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh). I would prefer a network which has good presence in MP.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 13:52   #58
Team-BHP Support

It has been 15 days since I gave a porting request. Porting from Reliance to IDEA.
Guess what, IDEA have not even forwarded my application to reliance for porting. They are just sitting on it.
I am hoping I do not regret the move to IDEA. IS their customer service really poor?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 14:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The tablet would mostly be used at home, on the wifi network. Still I need 3G connectivity for those rare occasions when I am traveling.

I already have 2 post paid connections, one from Airtel and another from Docomo.
Just a quick question (I am in exactly the same shoes as you, but I have opted for a non-3G tablet - hence the question): can't you use tethering on one of your two phones to have Internet on your tablet for the rare occasion you need it?
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 14:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It has been 15 days since I gave a porting request. Porting from Reliance to IDEA.
Guess what, IDEA have not even forwarded my application to reliance for porting. They are just sitting on it.
I am hoping I do not regret the move to IDEA. IS their customer service really poor?
Tanveer,
Reliance is the first player to take the next step I believe. Unless they release your number, I don't believe Idea service comes into play. What is the reason they (Reliance & Idea) are quoting? Most operators have a team (within the customer care team) who deals with the MNP requests.