Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 14:58   #31
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 560
Thanked: 943 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Reviving this dead OS thread.
Just got my hands on Factory Unlocked HP PRE 3 from UK. 1 word. What a device ? After using Pixi Plus for more than 6 months i was searching for faster and better webOS device and pre3 is the answer. everything is so smooth and fast. not to mention flawless integration with my touchpad.
Thank you for reviving it !!!

Congrats! What a buy! Please do post some pics & YOUR experience of it.
Did you try any new apps?
What additional changes did you feel were crucial & updated?
How much did it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its Open Source now and already picking up. Wait and watch!!

Here's A Good Sign That HP's Decision To Open Source WebOS Will Pay Off
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post

Well it IS open source now. Enyo! Lets see how it goes.
It is very late to the party.
It will attract its share of fans & developers - but very minimal owing to the heated up war between Android & iOS.

BB's new OS will not be out till late 2012. & even BB is working hard towards allowing Android apps work on their OS.
So essentially they have partially relinquished the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Just stumbled on this.

I just placed an order for the Palm Pixi Plus for my older Reliance number from eBay.in. Costed me Rs.3700 and the cellwala person will take care of the unlocking and RIM database part. All I need to do is probably just walk into Reliance WebWorld and make a request.

Lets see how this pans out.
Welcome to the club buddy.

You are walking the exact same path as I did!
Only I got my Pixi Plus for 4300 a year ago.
& now I am planning to sell it off as well.

Do let me know how things work out for you.
It is not as easy as it sounds.
But Mr. Sadik Shaikh (cellwala) should be able to help you out.
Let us know how it pans.
Do keep us posted here.
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 16:17   #32
BHPian
 
Brix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Welcome to the club buddy.

You are walking the exact same path as I did!
Only I got my Pixi Plus for 4300 a year ago.
& now I am planning to sell it off as well.

Do let me know how things work out for you.
It is not as easy as it sounds.
But Mr. Sadik Shaikh (cellwala) should be able to help you out.
Let us know how it pans.
Do keep us posted here.
Thanks Dr.Suraj. I got the phone from Sadik. But I had problems with my number as it was unused for many months. So after reactivation I took it to Reliance and they ported the number to this handset without any problem. Works perfectly now. Calls, SMS and data. 100% working.

Unfortunately, with the Data on, it hardly comes for a single day. So I switched off data and installed an app to make it go offline between 11pm-7am. Now it comes for 5 days without a problem.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 17:08   #33
BHPian
 
nisarg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 391
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

@Dr.Suraj.
webOS 2.2.4 is simply brilliant. with 1.4Ghz processing power there is no lag whatsoever. Skype integration is really useful. Call quality is just like normal call. Build quality of the phone is much much better than pixi plus and pre2. This is the ultimate webOS phone. I would say if you want to try webOS try it on Pre3.

Only issue is battery life. In the beginning i was getting hardly full day with 3G. so installed the Govanah and downclock the processor to 1Ghz which has improves few hours to battery life. I haven't felt any lag even after downclocking to 1Ghz from 1.4Ghz.
On 2G i am getting 2 days full battery with moderate use. So I switched to 2G for all day but whenever i need to browse or do some bandwidth intensive task i switch to 3G.

I haven't tried any new apps other than preware for all the patches. But apptucker box app has made it really easy to install App which are not supported for INDIA.

Got it from UK. Gift from Uncle. but listing price was 187GBP. Roughly 15K.

couple of pics.
Attached Images
  
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 09:45   #34
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 560
Thanked: 943 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Thanks Dr.Suraj. I got the phone from Sadik. But I had problems with my number as it was unused for many months. So after reactivation I took it to Reliance and they ported the number to this handset without any problem. Works perfectly now. Calls, SMS and data. 100% working.

Unfortunately, with the Data on, it hardly comes for a single day. So I switched off data and installed an app to make it go offline between 11pm-7am. Now it comes for 5 days without a problem.
Congrats!
So you got the phone also from here itself.
Brilliant!
This is for Reliance CDMA right?
& What was the process @ Reliance?
Did you just walk in & they co-operated?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
@Dr.Suraj.
webOS 2.2.4 is simply brilliant. with 1.4Ghz processing power there is no lag whatsoever. Skype integration is really useful. Call quality is just like normal call. Build quality of the phone is much much better than pixi plus and pre2. This is the ultimate webOS phone. I would say if you want to try webOS try it on Pre3.

Only issue is battery life. In the beginning i was getting hardly full day with 3G. so installed the Govanah and downclock the processor to 1Ghz which has improves few hours to battery life. I haven't felt any lag even after downclocking to 1Ghz from 1.4Ghz.
On 2G i am getting 2 days full battery with moderate use. So I switched to 2G for all day but whenever i need to browse or do some bandwidth intensive task i switch to 3G.

I haven't tried any new apps other than preware for all the patches. But apptucker box app has made it really easy to install App which are not supported for INDIA.

Got it from UK. Gift from Uncle. but listing price was 187GBP. Roughly 15K.

couple of pics.

WOW!

Mouthwatering apps & pics!
Brilliant - if you can fiddle with the processor speed like that.
Simply awesome.
& really a well powered phone for 15k.
You dont get that kind of processing power even with Droids in that price bracket.

Wonder if you can port Android to it.


But seriously - looks beautiful !
Congratulations!
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 09:57   #35
BHPian
 
Brix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Congrats!
So you got the phone also from here itself.
Brilliant!
This is for Reliance CDMA right?
& What was the process @ Reliance?
Did you just walk in & they co-operated?

Yes - pretty simple process. Not even a murmur from the staff about an imported phone. In fact they crowded around and said it was a superb phone.
The unlocking of the phone itself is very good - very clean job by Sadik.
It shows the Reliance Logo with the Cellwala logo. CDMA only.

Just tell him that you want the number transferred from old phone to new phone. Finished. They take the IMEI equivalent number of CDMA and message it to some number to get the ESN. Then they enter that in the system and you dial *228 and restart the phone. Its over.

Another person was trying to get Reliance ported to his Verizon/Sprint/AT&T Blackberry phone. But that did not work. They tried all ways, but it just didnt work. Mine took time because of the long disuse of the number - but if you've got a working number, then its just a single day.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 12:09   #36
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 560
Thanked: 943 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix

Yes - pretty simple process. Not even a murmur from the staff about an imported phone. In fact they crowded around and said it was a superb phone.
The unlocking of the phone itself is very good - very clean job by Sadik.
It shows the Reliance Logo with the Cellwala logo. CDMA only.

Just tell him that you want the number transferred from old phone to new phone. Finished. They take the IMEI equivalent number of CDMA and message it to some number to get the ESN. Then they enter that in the system and you dial *228 and restart the phone. Its over.

Another person was trying to get Reliance ported to his Verizon/Sprint/AT&T Blackberry phone. But that did not work. They tried all ways, but it just didnt work. Mine took time because of the long disuse of the number - but if you've got a working number, then its just a single day.
Seriously buddy,

Either you were lucky.
Or well prepared.

Coz the exact opposite happened with me.
The guy ahead of me got his Sprint 4G done in 3 minutes,
While they created all kind of hassles for me!

No doubt Sadik Shaikh does a brilliant job.
They are very professional & extremely good at what they do.

Nice to read this!

Enjoy!!!
Its a seriously awesome phone.
Just wish it had more apps.
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 10:02   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Hi Guys,
I am looking for a phone for my dad. He currently uses a Micromax dual sim basic phone. Now he wants email on the go. So i am looking for a phone with decent email capabilities that can open attachments like PDF etc with good performance.

I saw an ad in bombay times today.
The phone in question is HP Veer 4G for 7,999/-. Is it a good phone at this price?
Attached Thumbnails
WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus-hpveer4g.jpg  

djkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 18:01   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
16K for the Samsung Fascinate. Except for clothes, I shop for everything online. Extremely convenient, cheaper and wider choice.



I am actually moving from GSM -> CDMA for coverage.
CDMA has better coverage and better signal strength. I've been hooked on to CDMA for 4 years, no quips so far. I've been using Palm devices since the Treo 600 and my current device is the Pre 2, just love webOS.
Leistung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 18:09   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a phone for my dad. He currently uses a Micromax dual sim basic phone. Now he wants email on the go. So i am looking for a phone with decent email capabilities that can open attachments like PDF etc with good performance.

I saw an ad in bombay times today.
The phone in question is HP Veer 4G for 7,999/-. Is it a good phone at this price?
This is a good price and certainly a very good phone for the money. I use a Pre 2 and its superb. I work for an e commerce company managing the imports and for sure the price is good. Go for it, its compact and cool.
Leistung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:32   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 51
Thanked: Once
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Anyone using the Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS? I a have my eyes set on one which is on sale at:

Amazon.com: Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS, Touch Screen, 2 MP Camera and Wi-Fi - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am planning to call for one from the US...

I would like to confirm with existing Palm Pixi Plus users who are on GSM network whether it is possible to configure 3G and or 2G networks on this handset. Also if there is any need to do some activation by pass process to start using the handset on Indian networks.

Cheers!

Tanveer
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 16:08   #41
BHPian
 
nisarg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 391
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

sparkglow. US version doesnt have 2100 Mhz band. So you wont be able to use 3G in India. If you want to use 3G on pixi plus. get it from UK. All UK Pixi Plus have 2100Mhz band.
You need to metadoctor the Pixi Plus before you can Activate with PALM profile. Also if you are using Airtel or Vodafone. You can straight away set the APN for Internet connectivity.
But if not then you have to edit the carrier database file on phone. with all the MCC,MNC,APN info.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 16:26   #42
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 560
Thanked: 943 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a phone for my dad. He currently uses a Micromax dual sim basic phone. Now he wants email on the go. So i am looking for a phone with decent email capabilities that can open attachments like PDF etc with good performance.

I saw an ad in bombay times today.
The phone in question is HP Veer 4G for 7,999/-. Is it a good phone at this price?
Hi DJKher.

The Veer is an excellent phone. Its a pity HP could not sustain it.
The Veer should also be getting the latest software update in WebOS launched 2 months ago.
It will definitely fulfill the requirement you have.
Also the price is also right.
You can also check the price on CellWala.com

Also,may I suggest a good basic Android phone like Samsung Galaxy Y.
Better email etc. capabilities. Anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leistung View Post
CDMA has better coverage and better signal strength. I've been hooked on to CDMA for 4 years, no quips so far. I've been using Palm devices since the Treo 600 and my current device is the Pre 2, just love webOS.
Yes. Totally agree. The precise reason why I have not given up on my CDMA number till date !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Anyone using the Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS? I a have my eyes set on one which is on sale at:

Amazon.com: Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS, Touch Screen, 2 MP Camera and Wi-Fi - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am planning to call for one from the US...

I would like to confirm with existing Palm Pixi Plus users who are on GSM network whether it is possible to configure 3G and or 2G networks on this handset. Also if there is any need to do some activation by pass process to start using the handset on Indian networks.

Cheers!

Tanveer

Hi Tanveer.

I am a Palm Pixi Plus owner. But CDMA.

But the guy who unlocked it for me (I too had ordered from the USA) also did unlocking for GSM versions of the same.
&
I have been told unlocking those is easier. & they do work much better.

But -
just yesterday I saw an ad in Mumbai Mirror -
Palm Pixi Plus GSM version for just 4999/-.
So why order from US, then get it unlocked etc.
When it is all available here - hasslefree !
Do checkup shopping.indiatimes.com
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 16:32   #43
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 560
Thanked: 943 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Guys,

I finally wish to sell my CDMA Palm Pixi Plus (Verizon).

It is unlocked, as you all know I was using it on Reliance CDMA.

Now I have taken a Reliance SIM CARD & put it in another handset for personal reasons.

My phone is still unlocked.
But anyone buying it will have to programme their number through someone like Mr. Sadik Shaikh @ CellWala.com or your own means.

The phone comes with the original box + user manual.
+ USB Cable.
It had no headphones.
It has 8GB memory inbuilt,

Condition of phone overall is as good as new.
(Only back panel is scratched up a little)
All buttons etc. working perfect.

I expect Rs. 2300/- (Negotiable)

Anyone who wishes to check the phone, inspect it is more than welcome for the same.

Contact me on 9320995663.

Posted this ad in the classifieds section too.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...or-sale/15176/

Thank you.

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 17th February 2012 at 16:57. Reason: Added link to classifieds section
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 22:00   #44
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Anyone using the Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS? I a have my eyes set on one which is on sale at:

Amazon.com: Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS, Touch Screen, 2 MP Camera and Wi-Fi - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am planning to call for one from the US...

I would like to confirm with existing Palm Pixi Plus users who are on GSM network whether it is possible to configure 3G and or 2G networks on this handset. Also if there is any need to do some activation by pass process to start using the handset on Indian networks.

Cheers!

Tanveer
few days ago, i bought exactly the same phone but from Newegg (paid something 59$); 3G would not work but 2G/WiFi works well. To start/activate the phone, you need to create a Palm profile and doing so requires data plan on the SIM and only preloaded internet settings this phone comes (for India) with is for Airtel/Vodaphone SIM; in short, I spent almost two days trying to activate and troubleshoot the problem with my DOCOMO SIM and eventually came across a post on some forum which suggested using Airtel/Vodaphone SIM for activation and then swapping with DOCOMO SIM;
it worked flawlessly.

AND
I also remember seeing an AD in Mumbai Mirror sometime in Feb. and this phone was available for 4900 (or 4400, do not remember) in India from Times Group.

Last edited by infotech58 : 20th February 2012 at 22:04.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 01:01   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 51
Thanked: Once
Default Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Anyone using the Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS? I a have my eyes set on one which is on sale at Amazon.com:

I am planning to call for one from the US...
Tough Luck! My brand new Palm Pixi Plus purchased online on Amazon.com and carried to India doesnt switch on. I connected the phone to the charger and left it on for an hour yet it doesnt switch on. I think there is a problem with the battery.

Has anyone using Palm device with webOS faced similar issues? Is there a way to resolve it?



Regards,

Tanveer
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Rapid gets 2 new variants : Active Plus & Ambition Plus GTO The Indian Car Scene 18 5th January 2014 08:44
Palm Beach road Navi Mumbai - in irresponsible hands? gbpscars Shifting gears 14 15th March 2007 13:46
Caution reqd. for driving on Palm Beach Road, Navi Mumbai emkay456 Street Experiences 10 14th December 2006 12:30
Palm Lifedrive PDA pillainp Gadgets, Computers & Software 1 13th June 2006 20:47
Palm Treo 650 ritik123 Gadgets, Computers & Software 19 20th April 2006 11:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:14.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks