Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th June 2012, 12:43   #406
BHPian

Default re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

The realistic sim would be Microsoft fsx. IL 2 Sturmovic is good too. His collection has mostly combat sims the genre that i love.
Flanker was one hell of a game. Had got it from soldoutuk when i was in 8th lol. I just loved the missions and the carrier landings. That was my first flight sim. @skanchan95 is there any chance of getting flanker in the market today?

Thanks
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 17:04   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Are you serious? You have an impressive collection bro!

Which is the best flight sim among these?
Yup, collected over the past 12 years. Some other titles like Jane's F/A-18, Jane's USAF, Strike Fighters (Anthology), Lock On, are missing in the pics .

I would say "Falcon 4.0"(with addons) is the best combat flight sim. It has an extremely steep learning curve, but is worth every moment spent learning it. Even though I have it, I never got to enjoy "Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2" as it runs like a slide show on my laptop. It is good too(Flyable jets include A-10A, F-15C, MiG-29G, MiG-29S, Su-27, Su-33, Su-25T, Su-39). Other sims that I have now look quite dated.

If you like flying helicopters, "Enemy Engaged"(with addons) is great. Flying the AH-64D Longbow in EE is a blast. DCS came out with the title "Ka-50 Black Shark" some time back. Again, its quite demanding on PC but is supposed to be quite realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Flanker was one hell of a game. Had got it from soldoutuk when i was in 8th lol. I just loved the missions and the carrier landings. That was my first flight sim. @skanchan95 is there any chance of getting flanker in the market today?

Thanks
You mean old Flanker 1.0 or 2.0? Flanker 2.0 was upgraded to 2.5 later(for free, patch available), which added a few features and a flyable MiG-29K (with dedicated cockpit). Taking off from the carrier Kuznetsov was great fun.

Name:  F2.0.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  542.4 KB

Loved the intro. For a change, it was great to see Hornets & Falcons getting splashed by Russkie jets.

Not sure if it is available in the market. Got my copy way back in 2003 or 2004, from a roadside shop in Borivali, Mumbai( got Falcon 4.0 from the same shop on the same day).

Loved the implementation of Russian radar & avionics and "Naggin' Nadia" in the sim. The way the system would warn "Launch Authorised", "Minimum Speed", "Maximum Angle of Attack" etc at appropriate times was simply great.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 18th June 2012 at 17:09.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 17:16   #408
BHPian

Has anyone played the "test drive unlimited"?. I was going through the game play videos on utube and really liked the graphics.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 17:33   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle
Has anyone played the "test drive unlimited"?. I was going through the game play videos on utube and really liked the graphics.
The xbox version is the best. If you have a console then wait for Forza Horizons. Its gonna be the daddy of testdrive both in terms of gameplay and graphics.
If you have pc you can try test drive unlimited. Its good enough but not as great as on the xbox.

@skanchan95 hmm both the games are from ubisoft. Man flanker was just so awesome. I remember having broken my first joystick in frustration after ending a mission and then crashlanding on the carrier. But those carrier landings and night missions feel much more authentic and better than fsx carrier landings. I used to play flanker day and night.
Cheers

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th June 2012 at 17:39.
Old 18th June 2012, 17:53   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Check out TDU 2. TDU 3 will be coming soon.

I have played both TDU 1 & 2. To be honest, over time it gets boring...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 18:43   #411
BHPian

Quote:

@skanchan95 hmm both the games are from ubisoft. Man flanker was just so awesome. I remember having broken my first joystick in frustration after ending a mission and then crashlanding on the carrier. But those carrier landings and night missions feel much more authentic and better than fsx carrier landings.
Well, you will love Lock on, then . See if you can get a digital copy of it(Lock on : Flaming Cliffs 2). Check minimum system requirements before d/ling though.

Quote:
I used to play flanker day and night.
Cheers
You got to listen to this song:
SuperGeeks - high powered computer users and the people who create all this fun stuff!
I am sure most flight simmers, including me, would relate to this

Last edited by skanchan95 : 18th June 2012 at 18:46.
Old 18th June 2012, 20:46   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95

Well, you will love Lock on, then . See if you can get a digital copy of it(Lock on : Flaming Cliffs 2). Check minimum system requirements before d/ling though.

You got to listen to this song:

I am sure most flight simmers, including me, would relate to this
Oh wow thats a hardcore fan right there. Pc flight sims have kind of died with the advent of console gaming. I didnt like hawx 2 much. Had a demo of it on xbox at my friends place. If you have a psp you should get ace fighter x. The missions are great. Had played it quite a few times..requires dedication.

Question for xbox and ps3 owners. How has your experience been with forza 4 and gt5? Which one do you feel is better?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th June 2012 at 20:48.
Old 19th June 2012, 01:05   #413
BHPian

Quote:
So were you on Chip forums?
Since you reminded me of this game im going to get this after a few days. V1.0 was amazing. Hope they retained all that awesomeness.
Cheers
Hi, No i was not on the forums
AA 1.0 was released in 2002 ( 10 years back) I had a dialup connection at that time with my ping going into the thousands at that time. was impossible to play. It was only later when dsl was launched i could at least try to play.
None of the earlier maps have been retained when they updated the game.
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 09:35   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow thats a hardcore fan right there. Pc flight sims have kind of died with the advent of console gaming.
Agree. There's heavy arcade influence on flight sims these days. Titles like Air Conflicts: Secret Wars , Blazing Angles are a result of this influence. Gone are the days when there was heavy insistence of "simulating" real aircraft system & avionics. If it had not been for dedicated and talented groups modding old flight sims, the genre would have died long time ago.

Quote:
I didnt like hawx 2 much. Had a demo of it on xbox at my friends place. If you have a psp you should get ace fighter x. The missions are great. Had played it quite a few times..requires dedication.
HAWX, 2 specifically, has a great story line but some of the missions are impossible to accomplish. Sukhois maneuvering like Tie fighters don't help things either

Ace Fighter or Ace Combat? Have heard some nice things about Ace Combat series.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:12   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Hi,
None of the earlier maps have been retained when they updated the game.
Oh you remind me of my dialup days. My phone bills were huge. Even though i insisted upon my parents to take broadband they wouldnt agree and i ended up having to download for 3 4 hours all the time. And yes the only game that i could play on multiplayer was counterstrike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Agree. There's heavy arcade influence on flight sims these days. Titles like Air Conflicts: Secret Wars , Blazing Angles are a result of this influence. Gone are the days when there was heavy insistence of "simulating" real aircraft system & avionics. If it had not been for dedicated and talented groups modding old flight sims, the genre would have died long time ago.

HAWX, 2 specifically, has a great story line but some of the missions are impossible to accomplish. Sukhois maneuvering like Tie fighters don't help things either

Ace Fighter or Ace Combat? Have heard some nice things about Ace Combat series.
Oopsies. I meant ace combat x. That was one great game. You could play it day and night.
Yes if the fans werent there many flight sims would be dead long back. Even fsx and fs9. Fs9 still runs due to communities developing stuff. Even racing simulators like formula 1 had died way back in 2004 i think. Till codemasters revived it in 2010. Sim city too is dead but maxis plans to launch one in 2013.
You are right. Sim fans are a lone and dying breed. And the market has become to money oriented that developers have stopped developing good sim games. I wish they released flanker again. And a new FS. Flight was a huge flop after microsoft just bought the original dev team.

Regards
Old 25th June 2012, 10:30   #416
BHPian

Hi everyone - i do the occasional gaming, mostly on ps3 these days (also have a Wii on which i used to play resident evil 4 & Mario super galaxy).

Currently playing Bioshock 2 (love the variety in attack/defense tactics in this game). Have played LA Noire, Heavy Rain, Unchartered Series (UC1-UC3), Arkham Asylum (waiting for price drop on Arkham City), Red Dead Redemption (love most of the rockstar games) and a bit of Assasin's Creed I. Next in queue are Far Cry 2 and MGS4.

Looking forward to releases like Bioshock Infinite, Max Payne 3 (again price drop), Lara Croft, Last of Us.
akj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 11:05   #417
BANNED

Gta series is the game i play the most.You can never get bored of that.The missions,the cars,planes,boats etc keep you entertained throughout.
The other games rated on high priority after this is gt5 andcall of duty.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 21:31   #418
BHPian

Finished COD - MW3 yesterday. The game is good with amazing graphics. However, either I am getting good at shooting others or the single player campaign was really short . It took just about 5-6 hours to finish.
simplynitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 16:53   #419
Senior - BHPian

Any one tried 'London 2012' Olympic video game PC version?
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 16:07   #420

Have been playing Team Fortress 2 since its release way back in 2007. In single player games, GTA:Vice City is easily my favourite game.
b_naresh is offline   Reply With Quote