Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 08:45   #661
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I am chiming in late on consoles but I always wanted to own a PS3, but had other expenses or very tight budget.
..
Now I want to have a Gaming Console for my gaming itch which includes GTA V, Last of Us, COD Ghosts red dead redemption etc.

I still cannot afford PS4 ..
Should I pick up a second hand PS3

or
..
Same/similar storyline/thought process I had, like 3 months ago

I picked up a second PS3(12GB+80GB-HDD) with a cool game library (listed above in this thread) all together @13K.
I would definitely vote for that.

Option 1
15K for new console + 1K for HDD +
5-6K for games (based on my collection - classic PS titles included) * yeah- collection games still cost a lot, purchased new
= 22K (advantage - PS3 with warranty)

Option 2
15K for new console + 1K for HDD +
1.8K+1.5K+680INR for your listed games respectively
= 20K (adv + PS3 with warranty + games of your choice)

Option 3
13K PS3 preowned bundle like mine (nice condition)
1.8K+1.5K+680INR for your listed games respectively
=17K (adv + awesome game lib + your fav games)*

*It only helps, that PS3 (super slims/slims) are more or less rugged & meant to do good service.
So, you can definitely game for couple of years on all titles (easily available).


Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Try The Last of Us. That's my favorite PS3 game by far.
I saw the gameplay on youtube.
I am not sure I can play that 'complicated' game with my baboon level of handling the controller (LoL)
But, definitely looks like an awesome game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Got myself a PlayStation 4..
Comparison with my old PS3... well almost all games run at 1080p @ 60 fps and the new dual shock 4 controller is throughly overhauled with new features.
That's definitely on my to-buy list, when the games come within 1.5K range.

Thanks to this thread for awesome suggestions on games!

Now, I have serious-first-world-problems!
I have too many awesome games & I cannot play through a single one!
When I play shooters, feel like button mashing.
When I play the GOW/Heavenly Sword, feel like stealing cars & wrecking havoc in city.
When I play GTA, get bored & watch some youtube gameplays (of games I don't have) instead.
I still haven't had the courage to put in MGS4 DVD in the PS, since I am so primitive with the controller, yet.

Haha.

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 24th December 2015 at 08:47.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 01:28   #662
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

driverace: thanks for taking out time and explaining the options.

in last one week or so, i contacted many OLX sellers for ps3, one guy was very kind to discuss options but don't know how he sold his PS3 ultra Slim @ Rs.7000/- when I asked him was it working, he said it was under a year and due to urgent need he had to dispose it at throw away pricing.

Other guys had older PS3, a year or more older, and were not offering it anyway around 7K.

discussed with a few PS3 owner friends and they said if you can afford go with a new one, cause if old one is not properly handled it would have a weak or even damaged lens which will give you a big dent in pocket.
Secondly a year or two of gaming means the controller would certainly need replacement.

So keeping all this in mind and the ITCH which was getting un-bearable I was looking for a new PS3, Flipkart on recent sale had it on Rs.14500 ish pricing and had two games.

eBay India seller named "modcamera" had pricing of Rs.14275/- which was eBay promo and further coupons were disabled this had no games.

Paytm had price of Rs.16340 but Rs.2950 cashback, and comparing the price of included games it looked like the best deal. making actual pricing around Rs.13400/-
so I placed the order yesterday and its already in transit.
So paying approx Rs.1000/- lesser overall I got the option to buy my liked games instead of banging my head on bundled games I don't even like.

If I am not mistaken this console would come with only 1 controller
so time to shop a few games and a controller now.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 18:50   #663
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/LHR/CDG/SIN
Posts: 847
Thanked: 975 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Just bought Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Steam and this game's been an absolute delight! The fact that you can derive the same pleasure (well, almost!) of driving one of these rigs on beautifully recreated European motorways is spectacular. I'm a simulation fan and I've always thought the GT series of PlayStation was the benchmark but the Euro Truck Sim has upped the ante and how! Highly recommended, provided you're a trucking fan.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 17:40   #664
Newbie
 
ajslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Just bought Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Steam and this game's been an absolute delight! The fact that you can derive the same pleasure (well, almost!) of driving one of these rigs on beautifully recreated European motorways is spectacular. I'm a simulation fan and I've always thought the GT series of PlayStation was the benchmark but the Euro Truck Sim has upped the ante and how! Highly recommended, provided you're a trucking fan.
I agree. Since I started playing euro truck 2 about a year ago, my urge to drive a real truck is becoming a bit of a handful to control.

At least now I know about an alternative line of career
ajslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 19:57   #665
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/LHR/CDG/SIN
Posts: 847
Thanked: 975 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
I agree. Since I started playing euro truck 2 about a year ago, my urge to drive a real truck is becoming a bit of a handful to control.

At least now I know about an alternative line of career
LOL, yeah, for me, it's even altering my normal driving. When reversing, I'm taking huge sweeping curves in my car as I would on a trailer! By the way, what's your system spec? Because, I'm playing on my Macbook and having a hard time keeping the graphics card cool. In fact, I'm not able to play longer than an hour. What's the best spec to play this on a desktop PC? I want something that'd handle this as well as not drain a hole on my finances!
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 23:46   #666
Newbie
 
ajslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
By the way, what's your system spec?
Mine is a 2 year old rig- AMD FX8350, R9270X, 8gigs RAM, etc. In case you're into it:

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/MX6hP6

I'm not surprised this game causes your macbook to heat- I have a closed liquid cooler for my CPU and this game actually keeps the dual radiator fans busy!

If you have a budget of about 50k excluding the monitor you can get an Intel i5/ Gtx 750 or 760 based build. Maybe we can discuss that in a different thread, though.
ajslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 17:43   #667
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/LHR/CDG/SIN
Posts: 847
Thanked: 975 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
Mine is a 2 year old rig- AMD FX8350, R9270X, 8gigs RAM, etc. In case you're into it:

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/MX6hP6

I'm not surprised this game causes your macbook to heat- I have a closed liquid cooler for my CPU and this game actually keeps the dual radiator fans busy!

If you have a budget of about 50k excluding the monitor you can get an Intel i5/ Gtx 750 or 760 based build. Maybe we can discuss that in a different thread, though.
I'm technically challenged so pardon my ignorance. I'm trying to record the right specs on paper before I invest in one because many forums recommend many different stuff. Also, I don't have that amount budgeted at the moment but what would an ideal set up look like? I'd definitely like to spend lesser than 50k even if that meant running the game on medium spec. For starters, I understand a Windows PC is where I should start but then I find myself stumped beyond that! I can use my LCD TV, so that's taken care of. Just the right (budget spec) CPU tower is what I'm after.

A lot of Windows laptops are advertised as gaming laptops; are they any good or do we have the cooling problem again? Just give me the desktop specs that wouldn't drain my account. Thanks.

Edit: Just checked your link. Pretty informative!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 1st February 2016 at 17:45.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 08:52   #668
BHPian
 
dpkbehera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hyderabad, Pune
Posts: 277
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

I am looking for a gaming console for my 7 year old son. There are quite many consoles available i.e. Microsoft's Xbox One or Xbox 360; Sony's PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 3; or Nintendo's Wii U.

Considering the following factors mentioned below, i would like suggestions on the right console i.e.
a) I am not an avid gamer. Also this would be my son's first initiation into gaming consoles.
b) Should be reasonably priced.
c) Should be able to have games primarily for youngs kids and tweens.
d)Good Support/Service in India.

Preliminary research indicates Nintendo Wii U as the right choice for my requirements. Would appreciate any feedback on this or any alternatives?
dpkbehera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 14:14   #669
BHPian
 
dpkbehera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hyderabad, Pune
Posts: 277
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Would appreciate any feedback on my query. Thanks in advance.
dpkbehera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 15:28   #670
AYP
BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 243
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I am looking for a gaming console for my 7 year old son. There are quite many consoles available i.e. Microsoft's Xbox One or Xbox 360; Sony's PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 3; or Nintendo's Wii U.

Considering the following factors mentioned below, i would like suggestions on the right console i.e.
a) I am not an avid gamer. Also this would be my son's first initiation into gaming consoles.
b) Should be reasonably priced.
c) Should be able to have games primarily for youngs kids and tweens.
d)Good Support/Service in India.

Preliminary research indicates Nintendo Wii U as the right choice for my requirements. Would appreciate any feedback on this or any alternatives?
Between the Sony and the Microsoft, I would suggest you to go for a the Sony. Both the PS and Xbox have their pros and cons but I feel that a play station is a better choice. Decision between the PS4 AND THE PS3 can be taken on the basis of your budget. PS4 might be a bit costly, but it will definitely be more future proof.
The Nintendo Wii is a more compact device and does not sound a VFM proposition. But then you can carry it anywhere with you. The graphics are definitely no match to that of the PS or the Xbox. They are somewhere between a smartphone and a PC. In fact much closer to smartphones I'd say( I am saying this based on my experience with the Nintendo DS, it may not be completely applicable to the Wii).

So, the choice basically depends on your priority. I would recommend picking up one of those play stations. I am pretty sure that you can find games for young kids on PS too. Also, a few years down the line, he may not want to play those games anymore, thus making the PS a better proposition. I for one remember playing RPG shooting games and racing games for as long as I can remember.

Also, if you are open to PC building, then you can get a decently built PC for 50-60k which can run games at 720p/1080p. And being a PC, it can also serve other purposes.

Last edited by AYP : 21st April 2016 at 15:33.
AYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:09   #671
BHPian
 
dpkbehera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hyderabad, Pune
Posts: 277
Thanked: 175 Times
Post Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Between the Sony and the Microsoft, I would suggest you to go for a the Sony. Both the PS and Xbox have their pros and cons but I feel that a play station is a better choice. Decision between the PS4 AND THE PS3 can be taken on the basis of your budget. PS4 might be a bit costly, but it will definitely be more future proof.
The Nintendo Wii is a more compact device and does not sound a VFM proposition. But then you can carry it anywhere with you. The graphics are definitely no match to that of the PS or the Xbox. They are somewhere between a smartphone and a PC. In fact much closer to smartphones I'd say( I am saying this based on my experience with the Nintendo DS, it may not be completely applicable to the Wii).
Thank you for wonderful insight regarding gaming consoles. It did help me finalise my choice. PS4 it is.
dpkbehera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 14:26   #672
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Between the Sony and the Microsoft, I would suggest you to go for a the Sony. Both the PS and Xbox have their pros and cons but I feel that a play station is a better choice. Decision between the PS4 AND THE PS3 can be taken on the basis of your budget. PS4 might be a bit costly, but it will definitely be more future proof.
The Nintendo Wii is a more compact device and does not sound a VFM proposition. But then you can carry it anywhere with you. The graphics are definitely no match to that of the PS or the Xbox. They are somewhere between a smartphone and a PC. In fact much closer to smartphones I'd say( I am saying this based on my experience with the Nintendo DS, it may not be completely applicable to the Wii).

So, the choice basically depends on your priority. I would recommend picking up one of those play stations. I am pretty sure that you can find games for young kids on PS too. Also, a few years down the line, he may not want to play those games anymore, thus making the PS a better proposition. I for one remember playing RPG shooting games and racing games for as long as I can remember.

Also, if you are open to PC building, then you can get a decently built PC for 50-60k which can run games at 720p/1080p. And being a PC, it can also serve other purposes.
OK, so you're saying that the Nintendo is somewhere between a phone and a pic and that the Xbox and PS are actually better than PC?

If that's the case, you definitely need to spend some time gaming on a top end PC.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:07   #673
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,706
Thanked: 9,115 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Anyone got their hands on Uncharted 4? Going by the reviews, looks like the last title in the series gives it a befitting end.

I am in two minds if I should buy the console. Unfortunately, at this point there aren't many exclusives to play on the PS4 discounting the remastered ones.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:12   #674
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 1,090 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Anyone got their hands on Uncharted 4? Going by the reviews, looks like the last title in the series gives it a befitting end.

I am in two minds if I should buy the console. Unfortunately, at this point there aren't many exclusives to play on the PS4 discounting the remastered ones.
Buy the neo when it comes out or else buy a used one for cheap. No point buying a ps4 now when it's gonna be replaced with a more powerful version soon.

As for UC4, my copy is yet to arrive and it will have to wait when it does. I am having too much fun with Doom right now to be bothered.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 14th May 2016 at 14:14.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:30   #675
AYP
BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 243
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
OK, so you're saying that the Xbox and PS are actually better than PC?
Can you point out exactly where I said that? Nope, I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
If that's the case, you definitely need to spend some time gaming on a top end PC.
Waiting for pascal 1080m equipped laptop. Can't be building a gaming PC now. Need an all in one device.

Last edited by AYP : 14th May 2016 at 14:36.
AYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata) sk456 Gadgets, Computers & Software 720 11th December 2015 09:00
Windows Vista Discussion Thread normally_crazy Gadgets, Computers & Software 663 2nd December 2014 02:18
Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010 - Games lane map and blocked roads tsk1979 Route / Travel Queries 21 4th October 2010 09:43
Chennai General Discussion Thread slipstream The Team-BHP Meet Section 11 9th August 2006 15:43
Only Console Games here! S350L-E240 Shifting gears 6 9th May 2004 15:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks