Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th April 2006, 11:09   #16
BHPian

The treo 700W has not got good reviews. Some call it the worst of both. But for now the 650 is really the best.

I do not know if I can post about my recent trek to Matheran here and how the Treo was used as flash light by me to find my way back when things got darker.

Venkat
Venkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 20:43   #17
BHPian

Default Update: Bought a HP hw6510b

Guys,

Finally got the above phone. Why:

1. Its GSM quad band.
2. EDGE (next gen GPRS) enabled.
3. In Built GPS, Microsoft Pocket streets 2005 included.
4. Windows O/S.
5. Thin and sleek.
6. HP has service centres in India.
7. Bluetooth.

Cons:

1. No camera.
2. No Wi fi.

More on the pros:

Quand band means the phone will work anywhere there is a GSM network. Really like the GPS feature. Not only does it save you the money of buying another GPS (atleast 300$ for similar features) but also the bother of carrying another device. I am no great fan of windows but the whole world is going the windows way, Palm and Apple included !. The phone was more sleek than the palms and also the antenna is in built unlike the palms. And finally I am assuming the Hp service centres in India will help if needed. The other thing I liked (though it might be present in other phones also) is the ability to charge the phone without the charger. Just connect to the USB port of a computer !.

On the cons:

No camera, but I doubt the picture quality, if there was one as in the next model, wud have satisfied me. I'll live with my Canon Rebel. . No Wifi...will have to spend another 50 bucks to get the SD Wi fi card, if at all I need the feature at a later date.

Price is steep at 575$ (pcconnection.com). The following are included:

1. Cradle for charging and syncing.
2. Wired earphones.
3. Microsoft outlook 2002.
4. Belt Clip.
5. Microsoft Pocket Streets 2005.
6. Flip open protective cover for screen.

I've activated with T-Mobile and even in places where there is just one bar, the sound clarity is good.

can somebody tell me how to upload pics. i followed the instructions on the FAQ page, but all I could see when I previewed the post were the image shack links. THANKS.
ritik123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 04:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I have used a palm since palm computing came out with the Pilot. I still have a working T3 and T5 that now sit on my desk. a friend mistook them for speakers!

I loved Palm's OS. it is so much faster and simpler to use than Windows but after The treo 700 came out with Windows I felt betrayed. There is nothing wrong with the Treo 650 or 700 except for the size. I wish their devices were pocketable. In fact I find the Atom a bit too big too and horribly slow (esp the camera) and it hangs too often for my liking.

Treo can do the same work with a cpu at half the speed of what windows needs. It shows how big jerks this windows ppl are.

Palm sure knew a thing or two about making good pda's and they still are the largest selling pdaphones around, But what surveys have said is that palm lacks an interesting product to appeal the young mass that forms the largest populace of the smartphone market.

Treo650's lack of bt1.2 and only a vga cam hits hard in the segment it competes in.

The new Palm OS is linux based. Lets see how it fares. the new treo 700p is going to be palm based.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2006, 01:23   #19
BHPian

Well guys!My friend is planning to sell his Treo 650 November 2005 bought for Rs:-29,000/-.He wants to sell asap.Any buyers please let me know.
nikibusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2006, 11:46   #20
BHPian

You should let your friend know that Treo 650 brand new, with spare battery and addtional stylus is going for about 24K.

What is his expectation? Is it in Mumbai?

Venkat
Venkat is offline   Reply With Quote