Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th February 2012, 22:55   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Laptop Stolen! Any Software/Device to track stolen laptops?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Check with your manufacturer. I could vaguely remember when I bought my Lenovo TP a year ago, reading about theft protection where the manufacturer has the possibility to track the location of the Laptop based on the IP address of my machine when it goes online. I'm however not quite sure about this.
I spoke to the manufactures customer care. They have asked me to speak to Microsoft to deactivate windows on the laptop. They have put a block on my laptops serial number. So if anyone calls them up for support, they will try and get as much info from them (including caller ID etc) and then they will call me up and pass on the information. But other than that, they cannot do much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
I would search on craigslist and kijiji for the laptop. If its a dumb thief, you might get it back.
I've been checking these websites on a daily basis now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius 1 View Post
Did you have any sensitive data in it ? If yes , was it stored in the Admin acoount or the shared partions ?
There was personal data on it. But they were all accessible only under the admin account. So hopefully the thief won't get access to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Regarding tracking the laptop, unless you get co-operation from ISPs or companies such as Microsoft, it will be next to impossible. Btw, I notice that you live in Canada. Don't they have any such option?
I am going to speak to Microsoft later today. I will let you know what they say about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
I am sure he is using the guest login. was it a mac and did you have a built-in webcam?

You should check this out:
Yes I've seen this video before. Its pretty cool . Its not a mac. It's an alienware.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 01:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Most of us would be more worried about the data falling in the wrong hands, rather than the loss of a laptop.

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux - HIGHLY recommended.
I may have posted it earlier, but I wrote a small guide to encrypt your data using truecrypt and separate it from the OS partition, so OS can be restored without losing any data.

Vivek's weblog: on laptop security, backup and restore
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 01:07   #18
BHPian

You may not be able to track down your laptop because the most you can do is narrow it down to what city they are in and what ISP they use. My IP address tells all the websites that I visit that I am in Bangalore, but I am not! The IP address provides one way to narrow down your search but don't expect it to be reliable and don't expect to get your laptop back, though there is a slight possibility that you can.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 13:12   #19
BHPian

I doubt much could be done if laptop is already stolen, without a good solution being previously deployed!

This seems a very good product Absolute Software | Track. Manage. Secure. (LoJack is one of their brand for home users). They have partnered with most laptop manufactures, and in most cases the product (agent) is already installed IN the BIOS. Its a matter of purchasing the activation license, if not provided as a bundled offer by vendor itself. Else, separately the product could be installed. They have a Global Monitoring Center and Recovery Team, working along with regional law enforcement agencies. Their Premium Services provides guarantee for laptop recovery! By, now they have expanded their product offerings, such as mobile, remote delete, encryption, management tasks etc.

During one of my assignment, I had good interaction with this team, undergone a demo and was told about some recovery success in India as well.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 14:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote