Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 10:26   #1576
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,372
Thanked: 3,788 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
If I had Canon 55-250 IS and Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, which is better?
I have not had good luck with 3rd aprty lenses. Had to return both lens (a sigma 30mm prime and a tamron 70-300 zoom) I got because of focusing errors. After that i perfer to stick to nikon or canon lenses as the case might be.

The one lens company that has found to offer good lenses (for Nikon users only) is Tokina. A friend of mine who (is a Nikon user) and has a few Tokina ATX-Pro lenses says that these lenses are his primary lenses. He told me that Tokina engineers were ex-Nikon nad hence had an in-depth understanding of the Nikon system.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 10:37   #1577
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I think its the same team who have shop at TRV and Kottayam.
Jk, Do you know the name of the shop? Where they are located in Trivandrum?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:14   #1578
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Jk, Do you know the name of the shop? Where they are located in Trivandrum?
You can get the details from the link below. Camera Scan - Professional Digital Camera Repairers, kerala, ernakulam, kochi, trivandrum,kottayam
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 22:49   #1579
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Thanks a lot mate! Their lens service includes Minolta, as per the web page. I hope they can do it.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 13:50   #1580
BHPian
 
discobiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hydravad
Posts: 85
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

I have been using my D60 with its Kit lens for some time now and have realized on all the occasions that I miss out on great pictures because of the lack of zoom on the stock lens.

I am planning on getting an 18-xxx mm zoom lens so I can permanantly use just one lens on my camera without having to swap. After some research I have narrowed it down to 3. Unfortunaely where I live, I cannot just go out and test these lenses and have to resort to reading reviews before I decide on something. Hence people who have used these lenses or have had experiences with these brands to shed some light and help me decide.

The lenses are -

a. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200,, f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II - roughly over $750

b. Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HS - $520

c. Tamron [SIZE=2]AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro - $550[/SIZE]

Sigma also has 18-200, and Tamron makes 18-200 and 18-250 as well. I just put in the ones with more zoom.

Is Nikkor the best way out?
Do I compromise on alot of things by picking an alternative brand? If yes, what exacly?

This is the first time I am doing any form of lens shopping and am looking forward for your suggestions. Thanks
discobiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 15:25   #1581
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,372
Thanked: 3,788 Times
Default

Disco, why not just add a 55-205 to your kit lens (which I assume is the 18-55). the money saved can be used on a SB600 flash gun which will help with your indoor photos.

If you want a 18-250 lens there are huge sample to sample variations esp with the Sigmas and Tamrons. This is why one reviewer will say Sigma is better while another will say Tamron. It is not recommended to buy either of these lenses without a trial to test for focussing, AF, distortion and softness.

there are a dozen web based comparision reports.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 15:31   #1582
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 447
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Dear Discobiscuit,

I agree with Navin's reply above. i also use Nikon D 60 & i have both Nkor 18-55 AF VR & I also have 55-200 AF VR. Though originally I inteded to go for 75- 300 zoom lens in place of 55-200 but due to 2 reasons i chose the 55-200

1. it was not available in the deal.
2. 75-300 zoom was way too much to use it more practically

I suggest go for 55-200 AF VR which is a great & compact lens & see if you would want to go for a wide angle as well, which is my next lens.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 15:38   #1583
BHPian
 
discobiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hydravad
Posts: 85
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Disco, why not just add a 55-205 to your kit lens (which I assume is the 18-55). the money saved can be used on a SB600 flash gun which will help with your indoor photos.

If you want a 18-250 lens there are huge sample to sample variations esp with the Sigmas and Tamrons. This is why one reviewer will say Sigma is better while another will say Tamron. It is not recommended to buy either of these lenses without a trial to test for focussing, AF, distortion and softness.

there are a dozen web based comparision reports.
to avoid the trouble of changing lenses during travel. just to have an all rounder lens. although like you said, the 55-200 is probably best considering the price. However I am still a novice and might not be the quickest to realize the quality of "focussing, AF, distortion and softness", as well as some of you professionals can, therefore, I have to go based on reviews

so without having the ability to test these individually and wanting to satisfy the need to purchase, do i take the nikkor route?
discobiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 16:38   #1584
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
... Unfortunaely where I live, I cannot just go out and test these lenses ........
The lenses are -

a. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200,, f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II - roughly over $750
Dont worry, Nikon has recently launched a Nikon Store in Himayathnagar. May be they can allow you to check it. A friend of mine has a D70/80 with 18-200 which he got as a kit lens in UK(actually he works in a camera store). I am not sure of the model though. He used to complain lack of sharpness with this lens.

Quote:
b. Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HS - $520

c. Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro - $550
For these lenses, you can try the shops which sell the grey stuff. Some of the most prominent of them in Hyderabad are:
1. Tokyo Japan, Haridas market, Koti.
2. Jyothi labs, General Bazar, Secunderabad.
3. Chimalgi ( I am not aware of its location)

All the best.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 19:39   #1585
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 632 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
I have been using my D60 with its Kit lens for some time now and have realized on all the occasions that I miss out on great pictures because of the lack of zoom on the stock lens.

I am planning on getting an 18-xxx mm zoom lens so I can permanantly use just one lens on my camera without having to swap. After some research I have narrowed it down to 3. Unfortunaely where I live, I cannot just go out and test these lenses and have to resort to reading reviews before I decide on something. Hence people who have used these lenses or have had experiences with these brands to shed some light and help me decide.

The lenses are -

a. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200,, f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II - roughly over $750

b. Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HS - $520

c. Tamron [SIZE=2]AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro - $550[/SIZE]

Sigma also has 18-200, and Tamron makes 18-200 and 18-250 as well. I just put in the ones with more zoom.

Is Nikkor the best way out?
Do I compromise on alot of things by picking an alternative brand? If yes, what exacly?

This is the first time I am doing any form of lens shopping and am looking forward for your suggestions. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
to avoid the trouble of changing lenses during travel. just to have an all rounder lens. although like you said, the 55-200 is probably best considering the price. However I am still a novice and might not be the quickest to realize the quality of "focussing, AF, distortion and softness", as well as some of you professionals can, therefore, I have to go based on reviews

so without having the ability to test these individually and wanting to satisfy the need to purchase, do i take the nikkor route?
discobiscuit, as Navin said for more range the 55-200 VR is a cheaper option, as is the 70-300 VR (compared with the 18-200 VR). However if you want one, do-it-all lens, the Nikon 18-200 VR is hard to beat. I wouldn't bother with Sigmas and Tamrons - their quality and durability is always suspect. The 18-200 VR is the best super-zoom of any manufacturer. Having said that, it has its limitations. Distortion is significant, especially on the wide end. It is a tad soft on the long end. It is not a fast lens to stop action.

From personal experience I can tell you that it is a very versatile lens. I own a lot of glass and I often don't feel the need to use any of it when the 18-200VR is mounted on my camera. In fact, it hardly ever comes off. With my Tokina 12-24/4 it makes a light, versatile travel kit, which is the primary reason why I bought it. For travel it has replaced my back-breaking 80-200/2.8.

You can't go wrong with it or be disappointed with it, if you're clear about what your needs are and understand what the lens can and can't do.

Last edited by StarScream : 8th September 2009 at 19:42. Reason: clarity
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 21:34   #1586
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Is Nikkor the best way out?
Do I compromise on alot of things by picking an alternative brand? If yes, what exacly?
Nikkor lens are the best lens money can buy in the non-pro world. period.

they are very sharp, perform well in low light, they have less distortion, they are well built and can sustain a fair amount of abuse etc.etc.etc.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 21:47   #1587
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,206
Thanked: 1,152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
@roc: Congrats man! That body is a beauty and it can handle pretty much everything thrown at it.

What I'd like to see now are some photographs! Are you on flickr or any site? As much as I drool about equipment, I love to see the results as well. And as much as I wanna upgrade my good ole Sony Alpha A300, I'm resisting the temptation simply 'cuz I want to take more photos and buy less equipment!

Please to put up some shots, anytime. I love the 17-40L lens and believe it'll be the #1 lens on my list if I ever move to FF. Ever.

Cheers!
Payne
Here are a few samples . Still need more time to get some better shots.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dpp_0004.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dpp_0012.jpg  

reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 10:04   #1588
BHPian
 
discobiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hydravad
Posts: 85
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Dont worry, Nikon has recently launched a Nikon Store in Himayathnagar.
That's a relief. Could you please share where exactly you happened to find this store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
discobiscuit, as Navin said for more range the 55-200 VR is a cheaper option, as is the 70-300 VR (compared with the 18-200 VR). However if you want one, do-it-all lens, the Nikon 18-200 VR is hard to beat. I wouldn't bother with Sigmas and Tamrons - their quality and durability is always suspect..
still thinking about the 55-200 but leaning towards the 18-200mm. But i think i am losing interest in the tamrons and sigmas though
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Nikkor lens are the best lens money can buy in the non-pro world. period.

they are very sharp, perform well in low light, they have less distortion, they are well built and can sustain a fair amount of abuse etc.etc.etc.
to sustain abuse is definitely top priority for me
discobiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 13:15   #1589
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
That's a relief. Could you please share where exactly you happened to find this store.
Yeah sure.
Come down the tank bund towards Himayathnagar, take left at the Liberty junction, a furlong later on the right hand side you will see the Nikon store. Go down a little bit and you can take an U-turn.

All the best.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 16:09   #1590
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
My new toy
Wow! A great buy man. Happy clicking.

Did you buy it here in India or brought it from outside?

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks