Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th September 2009, 14:20   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
...Now I need to find a DSLR which is around Rs 30,000. Canon EOS 1000D is one. Any other cameras that fit the bill?
Is the Nikon D40, still being sold?? If yes go for it or you can go for D40x or D60.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 15:11   #1712
BHPian

KKR2k2, D40 and D40X have been discontinued. Replaced with D3000.

I need to understand the working of lens. Should buy with kit or without? Does one lens fit all cameras? or it is make specific? Are there any general purpose lenses to begin with ? What is the typical zoom one gets in such a lens?

Also if someone could help me with the Guidemode of Nikon D3000. Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera - 10.2 Megapixel

Does Canon have similar feature? How useful is it?

Last edited by dushmish : 30th September 2009 at 15:23.
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 15:23   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
KKR2k2, D40 and D40X have been discontinued. Replaced with D3000.

I need to understand the working of lens. Should buy with kit or without? Does one lens fit all cameras? or it is make specific? Are there any general purpose lenses to begin with ? What is the typical zoom one gets in such a lens?
I am not sure if you can buy the cheap entry level DSLRs without the kit lens, but if you can I would recommend you to do so and get a better lens. But then if you are just starting to experiment with photography get the cheap kit lens and buy better lenses as and when needed. Usually a lens made by a particular manufacturer fits almost all their camera bodies. Some may fit even other manufacturer camera bodies with additional adapters. A general purpose lens could be anything depending on what you shoot. If you are just starting out and will shoot mostly people pictures with a bit of landscape/scenery and ofcourse cars, the kit lens of typically 18-55 mm will be sufficient.

Even if they are discontinued I would agree with KKR2k2 about the D40 or the D40X. Get one if you could. Excellent cameras and very cheap especially now.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 16:18   #1714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu. But that is expensive. A 450D with kit costs 46000 Rs and without kit costs Rs 40000. Plus a lens you are suggesting, should be another 25,000 Rs.

That is way beyond my budget. How is Canon 1000D?
I paid 33 for the 450D without b&w and another 12k for the zoooom lens (bought separate with b&w). If you do a preliminary check when you buy, nothing much gonna go wrong with a new dslr, atleast for the first 1 year when the warranty really matters.

1000D is also good, but if you can, pick the 450D. Sometimes those small difference can be quite irritating.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:46   #1715
Senior - BHPian

@ dushmish: Hope you know reasons for moving to a DSLR. Please re-check with self what you are getting into. One doesn't buy a camera, one buys/builds a SLR system. Camera is just one component of SLR system, different kind of lenses, filters make entire SLR system.

Hope I haven't confused you.

How about looking at Olympus 420/520 if you are fixed on your budget and don't want to add too many components in the system. These models have two lenses (14-42 & 40-150) as part of kit & should fit <40k budget.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 21:04   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
@ dushmish: Hope you know reasons for moving to a DSLR. Please re-check with self what you are getting into. One doesn't buy a camera, one buys/builds a SLR system. Camera is just one component of SLR system, different kind of lenses, filters make entire SLR system.

Hope I haven't confused you.

How about looking at Olympus 420/520 if you are fixed on your budget and don't want to add too many components in the system. These models have two lenses (14-42 & 40-150) as part of kit & should fit <40k budget.
Thanks Jaggu for the prices.

Sukiwa, you are correct. DSLR is not just another camera. It is a system which needs a lot of time, money and effort to build and maintain. In Mumbai, they say that fungus is a big problem with SLR lenses.

I am not sure if I want an SLR for sure. OK what I want is a "good" camera for my wife. What is a semi DSLR? Canon and Nikon have these ones. I am checking on the Olympus as well.

What exactly does a 14-42 lens or a 40-150 lens do? Is it to do with zoom? Or something else?
Old 30th September 2009, 22:14   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Hi friends, romans & Lensmen,
The question is about this lens:
Attachment 186167

It is a Minolta Maxxum 70-210 F/4 lens.
I bought this old lens from ebay about 6 months back. When I was inspecting the lens recently, I found that some fungus has started growing inside two of the glass.........................
........... humidity levels low which will make the fungus growth difficult.
So I have been going around camera repair shops / watch repair shops and now I have got all the tools & supporting equip. required to open the lens up. Sadly, the pBase website which had detailed instructions and photographs on dismantling this lens, is down due to a database server crash. I plan to start the 'surgery' once this site is up. I need to save all the documentation and pictures to hard drive before I begin, who knows when this site is going to crash again.

These are the stuff I've got so far, for the lens repair.

1) Screw drivers of the required sizes (picked out of two sets of tool-kits)
2) Tweezers
3) Magnet & small containers to keep the screws & springs
4) Dust free room (Well, almost!)
5) Lint free paper
6) Permanent marker to mark the alignments, positions of mated parts before opening up.
7) Camera ready to take pictures on every step
8) Torch
9) Soldering iron, lead, flex
10) Toothpicks

Now I have a big doubt, about cleaning the inner glass elements.
I have a lens cleaning kit, with a spray, swabs etc. Once I have the lens opened, is it okay to use the cleaning spray and lint free paper to clean in the inner glass elements, or do they require special attention?

I plan to buy a pair of white thin surgical gloves so that I don't leave any oily trace by accidentally touching the inner glass.

And, Is there anything I have possibly left out?

I am all excited to do this....

EDIT: Checked now and found that the pBase site is back online....Whoa...!!

Last edited by clevermax : 30th September 2009 at 22:33.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 08:38   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if I want an SLR for sure. OK what I want is a "good" camera for my wife.
May be you should spend more time in understanding SLR cameras and take an informed decision. Hope your camera decision turns out to be as pleasurable as Michelin tyres & forces you to visit Himalayas again.

Quote:
What exactly does a 14-42 lens or a 40-150 lens do?
Yes, these are focal lengths of lenses.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 09:25   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
1) Screw drivers of the required sizes (picked out of two sets of tool-kits)
2) Tweezers
3) Magnet & small containers to keep the screws & springs
4) Dust free room (Well, almost!)
5) Lint free paper
6) Permanent marker to mark the alignments, positions of mated parts before opening up.
7) Camera ready to take pictures on every step
8) Torch
9) Soldering iron, lead, flex
10) Toothpicks

I plan to buy a pair of white thin surgical gloves so that I don't leave any oily trace by accidentally touching the inner glass.

sounds like a landmark surgery is on the cards. I guess the surgeons themselves would be surprised at your meticulous planning.

I am looking forward for the surgery and pics of course.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 10:07   #1720
BHPian

Sukiwa, I am trying to take an informed decision on camera. From the first feel I have, I guess we are not yet ready for an DSLR. With two little kids who are naughty as they can be, it is not a safe idea to carry delicate equipment.

Also, the lenses and all needed to click pictures for best results are difficult to manage with kids. For now I would rather stick to a High end digital (or a semi DSLR as some call it). Sticking to Canon for reasons of after sales service.

Do the focal lenghts have anything to do with the zooming capability? How are they correlated?
Old 1st October 2009, 10:45   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case, I would suggest Nikon D40 or Canon 350D. For the canon get the 18-55 IS, it is rated very well. For the Nikon, I think there is a corresponding DX(verify on this).

After this, buy old manual lens(with suitable adapter) from online shopping sites like ebay. Also you can try old photography studios in your city. You might get lucky. Also you can try M42 lenses with suitable adapter(do check these lenses, some of them have trouble focusing to infinity and do check the flange length(that is, the lens should not go deep into the camera, it might hinder the moment of the mirror). Few friends of mine bought these old lenses for 200/- to 1000/- INR(yes there are very cheap in price and some of them are optically sharper than some of the latest lenses and robust). Another one bought a 200mm f4.0 for 2000/- he had to pay another 1000/- for cleaning and some parts(salvaged from some damaged lens). So for 3000/- he has an optically superior 200mm f4.0 which is well built. BTW, he has a Canon 400D!

EDIT:
Quote:
Also, the lenses and all needed to click pictures for best results are difficult to manage with kids. For now I would rather stick to a High end digital (or a semi DSLR as some call it). Sticking to Canon for reasons of after sales service.
Go for Canon G10!!!
You might be interested in these:

'Compact Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

'Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q1 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Quote:
Do the focal lenghts have anything to do with the zooming capability? How are they correlated?
This is something I always wanted to know.
Take for example 70-300mm lens, the zoom is around 4.28. If I understand it correctly 4.28 is the zoom range of this lens. But what is the magnification it provides on a 35mm equivalent camera? Some where I read the 1x magnification is 42 mm. Can we take the magnification(at 300mm) provided by this lens would be 300/42 which is around 7x?? Also on APS-C format with 1.5x crop factor, is the magnification 7X x 1.5X = 10.5x??? on a 4-3rds with a crop factor 2x, is the magnification 7X x 2X = 14X??

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 1st October 2009 at 10:56.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:00   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
This is something I always wanted to know.
Take for example 70-300mm lens, the zoom is around 4.28. If I understand it correctly 4.28 is the zoom range of this lens. But what is the magnification it provides on a 35mm equivalent camera? Some where I read the 1x magnification is 42 mm. Can we take the magnification(at 300mm) provided by this lens would be 300/42 which is around 7x?? Also on APS-C format with 1.5x crop factor, is the magnification 7X x 1.5X = 10.5x??? on a 4-3rds with a crop factor 2x, is the magnification 7X x 2X = 14X??
Hmm the 4.28 figure that you have reached is probably 70X4.28=300 right? Well this is a pretty new or lets say the prosumer/enthusiast way of calculating a zoom range. Its like my zoom is 10X. But 10X of what? It basically means 10X of my lowest focal length. 35mm is the the refrence that you can take as 1X and not 42 mm for a 35 mm system. So considering 300 mm, it is 300/35 approx 8.5X of zoom from the base focal length. You may have seen that various 10X superzoom point & shoots have all different maximum focal lengths. This is because their lowest zoom focal lengths are diferent. So lets say brand A has as minimum focal lenth of 28 mm while brand B has a minimum focal length of 35 mm. So their effective 10X will be 280 and 350 mm respectively.

@clevermax: I have spent a fortune to have my lens cleaned of mold and fungus here in Mumbai so I know the perils of owning a lot of lenses and their storage problems. However lens opening is a very skilled and precise art where the elements have to alligned perfectly so not to have back and front focus problems and I wish you all the best in your mission and hope you succeed.

Last edited by SPARKled : 1st October 2009 at 12:06.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:22   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
sounds like a landmark surgery is on the cards. I guess the surgeons themselves would be surprised at your meticulous planning.
I am looking forward for the surgery and pics of course.

The dismantling is postponed to weekend after this, as this week I will be busy with the new car delivery.

Added two more items to the list:

11) Mini vacuum cleaner with the small keyboard cleaning nozzle
12) Detergent & Armor-All liquid spray for plastics & rubber (Armor All® - Go Ahead. Stare.) to disinfect and clean the rubber zoom grip once it is removed from the lens body.

In spite of all these, things can go wrong... but it will be a thrilling experience if I can do it right.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 13:47   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Hmm the 4.28 figure that you have reached is probably 70X4.28=300 right? Well this is a pretty new or lets say the prosumer/enthusiast way of calculating a zoom range. Its like my zoom is 10X. But 10X of what? It basically means 10X of my lowest focal length. 35mm is the the refrence that you can take as 1X and not 42 mm for a 35 mm system. So considering 300 mm, it is 300/35 approx 8.5X of zoom from the base focal length. You may have seen that various 10X superzoom point & shoots have all different maximum focal lengths. This is because their lowest zoom focal lengths are diferent. So lets say brand A has as minimum focal lenth of 28 mm while brand B has a minimum focal length of 35 mm. So their effective 10X will be 280 and 350 mm respectively....
One of us is misinformed. Lets try figure it out who it is!!!

AFAIK, 35mm is the width of the 135 film. May be the following pic can clear something.:

I am trying to search for some authentic online link to say that the 1x magnification corresponds to 42mm on a 35mm camera. I request you to please direct me to any link which says 35mm as the 1x magnification or please tell me how you got to know about it.

In the mean time some more info on the 35mm:
The Panorama Factory -- What is "35mm equivalent focal length?"

EDIT:
The Panorama Factory -- What is "35mm equivalent focal length?"

As per the above link it is 43.27 not 42. But its definitely not 35mm.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 1st October 2009 at 14:03.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:59   #1725
BHPian

You are absolutely right about 35mm being the width of film for the 35mm format and 42 mm being the normal vision of a human being on a 35 mm system, no doubt about that. However in 35 mm there is no real X as the standard reference for a zoom, I repeat its more of prosumer term to say X amount of zoom in my camera. Nowhere in SLR lenses will you find a zoom range given in terms of Xs. Its just convenient for some to say that my zoom is 3X. It may be 180mm in case the base focal length is 60 or 30 if the base focal length is 10mm. I said to take 35 mm as the base reference as its quite near 42 mm. In the same way you can also take 50mm as the base due to its proximity to 42mm. You can take both these as references as its generally easier to find 35mm lenses as well as 50mm lenses as compared to 42mm lenses. Note that there is no convention being followed here

Last edited by SPARKled : 1st October 2009 at 14:00.