Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 12:20   #1741
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,537
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Thanks Genesis for the detailed reply. Your comments have firmed my resolve to buy a DSLR.

My wife is looking for a camera where one can fit filters. Specially the polarising filter. I am not sure if it can be fitted in a high end Canon SX10/20.

Now the question is which model of DSLR to buy in Canon. D1000, D450, D500. I know it is a series of expenses I am entering. I have Canon Poweshot A95. Doesn't even have an image stabliser. As you mentioned, shall continue to use the basic camera as well.

Till last week i too was confused about buying a high end digital camera or a DSLR. All my doubts were cleared when i visited cannon image store. Here i got hold of canon sx 1 and slr 1000d, 450 and d500.

I clicked shots from all four - one potrait, i long shots. compared, all the three slr reproduced excellent result. Potrait photos i was able to blur the background. sx1 was slow(After using slr), images were having noise levels on zooming the picture. Potrait photo as ok, blurring effect was not achived in it.


Now for slr 1000d and 450d , the only differene is 9 point metering, 3 inc lcd, 12 mega pixel where as 1000d has 10 mega pixle, 2.5 lcd, 7 point metering.

500d offers HD video recording. if you are looking for video recording, then you can opt for 500d(Cost 50k+) , other wise if Photogaphy is not your bread&butter then 1000d is value for money.
I got the deal for 28995/- with a 18-55 lens. i will be buying a 50 - 250 telephoto lesns too. its costing around 14k. Shot around 500+ shots. I am 100% satisfied with it.

Last edited by v&v : 4th October 2009 at 12:21.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 15:42   #1742
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

There seems to something wrong somewhere. While you want to buy a Canon, you are listing Nikon models out of which D450 is unheard off and the D500 is yet to be released against the D300 that Nikon will slowly stop production.

@Genesis: From where and for how much did you buy the D500?

Friends, I'm looking for the shutter release cable for my D300. MC-30 or similar. Does any one has a spare or know how to get one in India?

Name:  ShutterCable.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  2.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Thanks Genesis for the detailed reply. Your comments have firmed my resolve to buy a DSLR.

My wife is looking for a camera where one can fit filters. Specially the polarising filter. I am not sure if it can be fitted in a high end Canon SX10/20.

Now the question is which model of DSLR to buy in Canon. D1000, D450, D500. I know it is a series of expenses I am entering. I have Canon Poweshot A95. Doesn't even have an image stabliser. As you mentioned, shall continue to use the basic camera as well.

Last edited by gd1418 : 4th October 2009 at 15:57.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 17:08   #1743
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 764
Thanked: 288 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
There seems to something wrong somewhere. While you want to buy a Canon, you are listing Nikon models out of which D450 is unheard off and the D500 is yet to be released against the D300 that Nikon will slowly stop production.

@Genesis: From where and for how much did you buy the D500?

Friends, I'm looking for the shutter release cable for my D300. MC-30 or similar. Does any one has a spare or know how to get one in India?

Attachment 202517

Nothing wrong with the canon models. They are known by different names in different geographies.
D450 is canon rebel xsi
D500 is canon T1i

I got my D500 aka Canon T1i aka Kiss X3 with 18-55 from amazon (someone lugged it to India) for around 810 usd. (warranty is not valid in india, it is a US warranty). Canon EF 18-200 is another 550 USD
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 17:12   #1744
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

What you say is fine but you have got your alpha numeric mixed up. It is 450D and 500D for Canon and not the other way around.

Nikon models have the D as prefix and in Canon the D is a suffix.

I'm not nit-picking, but positioning of the alpahabets altogether change the brand and model and hence the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Nothing wrong with the canon models. They are known by different names in different geographies.
D450 is canon rebel xsi
D500 is canon T1i

I got my D500 aka Canon T1i aka Kiss X3 with 18-55 from amazon (someone lugged it to India) for around 810 usd. (warranty is not valid in india, it is a US warranty). Canon EF 18-200 is another 550 USD

Last edited by gd1418 : 4th October 2009 at 17:14.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 17:13   #1745
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Nothing wrong with the canon models. They are known by different names in different geographies.
D450 is canon rebel xsi
D500 is canon T1i
Actually there is a problem, which GD was trying to point out. Canon models don't start with D, they end with D. It is the Nikon models that start with D.

Canon models 450D and 500D, Nikon models are D200, D300, etc.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 18:32   #1746
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 764
Thanked: 288 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
What you say is fine but you have got your alpha numeric mixed up. It is 450D and 500D for Canon and not the other way around.

Nikon models have the D as prefix and in Canon the D is a suffix.

I'm not nit-picking, but positioning of the alpahabets altogether change the brand and model and hence the confusion.
Thanks for pointing that out. I stand corrected.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 21:51   #1747
TOR
BHPian
 
TOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 263
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

The nomenclature norms is not an absolute.

Canon seems to be less inclined to be very specific with the Precedence of the alphanumeral name in its EOS series cameras initially(the D2000 and D6000 also comes to mind).

Have a look here for the -


Canon EOS D30
TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 23:27   #1748
BHPian
 
dushmish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 416
Thanked: 68 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Thanks so much V&V. Your post has helped a lot. I shall be visiting the Canon Image Gallery tomorrow. I had been there last week but they were closed due to some renovation. Shall post my experience.

Thanks!
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 11:55   #1749
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Have a couple of queries for dSLR experts:
1. When keeping the dslr camera in the bag, is it better to keep the camera with the lens attached OR we need to detach the lens & keep it separatly?

2. Is the Extreme SD card (like Sandisk Extreme) essential for dSLR cams?
I have a normal 4GB SD card.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 14:06   #1750
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Have a couple of queries for dSLR experts:
1. When keeping the dslr camera in the bag, is it better to keep the camera with the lens attached OR we need to detach the lens & keep it separatly?
I dont know whether it makes any big difference rather than convenience and risk of damaging the lens mount in case of fall. But make sure you have the right caps on always. Many of the camera bags are designed with compartments to take camera body separately and lenses separately. In that case you have no choice. I use a canon bag, have 28-55 zoom lens attached to the body always, but keep a 70-200/4L and a flash in the same bag. The middle compartment is large enough to hold the body and lens together

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
2. Is the Extreme SD card (like Sandisk Extreme) essential for dSLR cams?
I have a normal 4GB SD card.
The disk/memory access time is the key here. The camera is designed for a particular access speed and whether your disk/card has higher speed or not it does not matter.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 15:45   #1751
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 916
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Have a couple of queries for dSLR experts:
1. When keeping the dslr camera in the bag, is it better to keep the camera with the lens attached OR we need to detach the lens & keep it separatly?

2. Is the Extreme SD card (like Sandisk Extreme) essential for dSLR cams?
I have a normal 4GB SD card.

Its always better to store your camera and lenses outside the bag in an open dry place to avoid fungus and mold problems. Its especially important to do so in coastal areas like Mumbai and in the rainy season.
No high speed cards are not necessary and you will not notice the difference between high speed and normal cards unless you are using a high a FPS body like the D3 in burst mode. I am not sure if the newer video capturing DSLRs would benefit with faster cards as I dont have one.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 16:47   #1752
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 189
Thanked: 20 Times
Default 17-40 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
@Maven: Yes it would definitely make a lot of sense to move to a 17-40 L over the kit lens. You will gain from a constant F4 aperture as well as full ring USM and better build. I guess optically too, there would be a slight gain. However 17mm is not very wide on a crop Canon body (I am assuming that you have a crop sensor body). For true wide angle go for the Canon 10-22 but beware that this is an EF-S lens.
Getting the lens end of November. 10-22 was not in my shortlist only because it isnt EF. Another model in contention was 16-35 but that does not have bang for the buck.
Also, thinking of supplementing the lens with a lee .6 ND filter.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 18:09   #1753
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 916
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

@maven: Great choice. Just wondering, what are you planning to shoot with a ND filter? Are you considering a graduated ND or a simple ND filter?
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 18:39   #1754
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Getting the lens end of November. 10-22 was not in my shortlist only because it isnt EF. Another model in contention was 16-35 but that does not have bang for the buck.
Also, thinking of supplementing the lens with a lee .6 ND filter.
Maven,

How much are you paying for that 17-40L lens? Am curious because am looking for a L Lens in the wide category and and scouting around.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 16:52   #1755
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 189
Thanked: 20 Times
Default RE: 17 - 40 L & Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
@maven: Great choice. Just wondering, what are you planning to shoot with a ND filter? Are you considering a graduated ND or a simple ND filter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Maven,

How much are you paying for that 17-40L lens? Am curious because am looking for a L Lens in the wide category and and scouting around.

Nainar
Thanks Sparkled. i thought of grad filter because it was a recommended option. would make clouds look more interesting(?) usually they always look monotonous. But i have found getting hold of filters a huge issue.
The other i have is the CPL i got for the 18-55 but that wont fit the 77mm ring of the 17-40.

Nainar: i did not do too much surfing. it was around $707 on amazon. I think its reasonably cheaper than what it is priced in India. I checked with mahatta, delhi and they told be 48/49grand. I got the macro also from the US and there were no mfg/within US shipping issues so this seems to be a good option. (i use a within US delivery address and then get it hand delivered by some one who is coming to India).
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks