Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 15:44   #2176
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,887
Thanked: 15,541 Times
Default

The 15-85 is an awesome lens if you want to do landscapes.
I have the 18-55, and 18mm is not wide enough on a crop body.
So I suggest, get a body first, grey will be cheaper, and ask a friend to get the 15-85 from US in holiday season.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 15:50   #2177
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

A friend of mine suggested the following lens apart from the 18-55VR but cost is on the other side of 10k:
1. sigma 17-70 f2.8 to 4.5 (around 18k)
2. nikon 18-105 VR f3.5 to 5.6, its the same thing which arun has on his D90. (around 18k)
3. the new tamron 17-50 f2.8. This one might be heavy and pricey!!! (around 21k)

PS1: I was told to avoid nikon 18-135!!!

PS2: For the budget constraint, just buy the 18-55 VR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
What??? upgrade!!!

Is your lens back in working condition? Last i remember is that its beyond repair!! In that case I would suggest 18-55 VR lens.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:05   #2178
BHPian
 
rhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 554
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

I have sony Alpha 200. I want to buy lens, for it. I got to corbett very often and then the zooming options kill me big time.

Now the issue is DO NOT KNOW a Thing about cameras and other things. I am starting out right now. What is the suggestion from below link:

Digital SLR Camera Lens : Digital SLR : Sony India

Will the below lens be good enugh for a starter like me?

SAL75300 : Zoom : Digital SLR Camera Lens : Sony India
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:12   #2179
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
A friend of mine suggested the following lens apart from the 18-55VR but cost is on the other side of 10k:
1. sigma 17-70 f2.8 to 4.5 (around 18k)
2. nikon 18-105 VR f3.5 to 5.6, its the same thing which arun has on his D90. (around 18k)
3. the new tamron 17-50 f2.8. This one might be heavy and pricey!!! (around 21k)

PS1: I was told to avoid nikon 18-135!!!

PS2: For the budget constraint, just buy the 18-55 VR!!
if you have budget constraint, stick to 18-55 VR, and look for some deals at right time.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:34   #2180
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Congrats rkbharat.


ok, the selected lens: EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.
Problem: costs USD 800 (canon site), & Blore ~ Rs.40k.
And the budget for which I have approval is 40K.
(almost fixed. Any more and "but dear, at around 50K we can get the new side-by-side refrigerator ...... with much more utility"...So, increasing budget may actually make it vanish)

Next, lens choice: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.
Costs: USD 500 (canon site) & Blore ~ 17K.

PS: Donít know how USD800 become Rs. 40K & USD500 become 17K. Blore prices are via phone enquiry to Blore shop.

Now, 2 questions:
1. Is this a good idea - new USM lens above + used body (400D or 450D)?
If I wait until Dec. offers (in US) might get within USD700 (32K). Rest for a used body. Get a friend to carry for me.
I am no guru also in research state but let me chip in.

Why 400D /450D /500D and why not 1000D with the above lens ? it fits very much in your budget.

500D is 46K with Bill and warrenty in Bangalore at GKvale now and US price is 749$ already on Amazon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I have sony Alpha 200. I want to buy lens, for it. I got to corbett very often and then the zooming options kill me big time.

Now the issue is DO NOT KNOW a Thing about cameras and other things. I am starting out right now. What is the suggestion from below link:
Sony uses Minolta mount and you can use any lens which fits Minolta.
Sigma / tamron have minolta mount zoom lenses. Good thing is that you have a choice of cheap lenses.
Actually Sony is derrived from Minolta and Samsung GX-20 is Pentax K7 rebadged so one should not ignore these options..
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:48   #2181
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
..... What is the suggestion from below link:

Digital SLR Camera Lens : Digital SLR : Sony India
Just had a shock of my life looking the prices of those lenses.

Converter lens for 44,990/- ???

I guess you have the 18-70 kit lens. Thats a very good lens.

For the 75-300, you can look at Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO. Its rated better than the SAL75300
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 19:45   #2182
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kerala
Posts: 4,591
Thanked: 2,922 Times
Default

I got a Canon 400D for trials from a friend, i borrowed it to get a feel of the camera. I had a Nikon F65 which i bought during 2003 and later sold to a friend. With the Canon 400D i'm not getting the ergonomics right, i mean the grip really does feel thin and i don't seem to get a comfortable grip on the camera. My memories tell me that the Nikon F65 was much more comfortable to hold and shoot with. Does anyone else who have used both Nikon and Canon entry level SLR cams feel the same? Is 450D ergonomics any better than 400D?

If i go for a D3000 instead of the 450D will that be a bad decision?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 22:44   #2183
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Nikon Dslrs has good Ergonomics compared to Canon, one main reason I went for a Nikon!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 23:15   #2184
BHPian
 
bmw_m5_titus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kottayam
Posts: 178
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Finneyp, same here!

Sankar, I presently have a Eos 350d and Nikon D200, the grip on the Nikon is far better of the two. And this holds for Dslrs like D60,D80 etc too

The grip on the 400/450/500d is quite similar. But again the entry level Nikons lack AF motor.

Last edited by bmw_m5_titus : 20th November 2009 at 23:20.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 01:39   #2185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

We cannot compare 350d with d200, completely different breed/category of dslr's. Although nikons do have better egronomics it comes to individuals hands. Small hands and canon entry level feels better but it has improved fro
350d to 500d fair bit but still lacks the feel nikon has.

IMHO nikon d90 is simply the best in this scenario with d5000 coming next. Havnt touched d3000 so cannot comment. Higher levels like 7d, 5d, d300, d300s, 1dx, dx all have good ergonomics since they are designed to be used for long periods of time and needs to hand holded. Tru shooting portraits with 500d for a whole day, even with grip hands start to hurt after few he's but with larger cameras it's very easy to do so.

Cheers
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 08:55   #2186
BHPian
 
bmw_m5_titus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kottayam
Posts: 178
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
We cannot compare 350d with d200, completely different breed/category of dslr's. Although nikons do have better egronomics it comes to individuals hands. Small hands and canon entry level feels better but it has improved fro
350d to 500d fair bit but still lacks the feel nikon has.

IMHO nikon d90 is simply the best in this scenario with d5000 coming next. Havnt touched d3000 so cannot comment. Higher levels like 7d, 5d, d300, d300s, 1dx, dx all have good ergonomics since they are designed to be used for long periods of time and needs to hand holded. Tru shooting portraits with 500d for a whole day, even with grip hands start to hurt after few he's but with larger cameras it's very easy to do so.

Cheers
it_inspector,
True, the D200 is definitely of a higher bracket. But what I meant was that things don't get much better than the 350D even if you go for 500D. When I was to buy my camera, I was looking out mainly for a Canon Eos, I have been a Canon guy and am very comfy with it. But the grip of even the entry level Nikons were a revelation and kinda turned me around to go for a Nikon. Ultimately Canon and Nikon have their respective strengths in Image quality as well as Ergonomics and it is upto each one to select according to priorities.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 11:25   #2187
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default

Tried the Canon 7D at Canon lounge yesterday. Fantastic camera, the best IMHO in the semi-pro DSLR range. Brilliant high ISO performance, Dual Digic IV, 8 fps continuous shooting, 19 cross type focus points and the lot. Finally there is competition for the Nikon D300 and what competition!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 11:43   #2188
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kerala
Posts: 4,591
Thanked: 2,922 Times
Default

Nope not another Canon vs Nikon war

I just wanted to know if Nikon is indeed better with ergonomics and comfort compared to Canon or if it is just with me. More comfortable means more time with the camera and more photos.

I feel both, D3000 and 450D, produce decent quality images but with a slight difference in colour tone and high ISO performance. A lot is dependent on personal tastes.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 13:28   #2189
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,358
Thanked: 3,869 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I just wanted to know if Nikon is indeed better with ergonomics and comfort compared to Canon or if it is just with me.
It's you who's going to use it finally. So that call is entirely yours. Because as you said..
Quote:
More comfortable means more time with the camera and more photos.
Quote:
A lot is dependent on personal tastes.
You're talking about bottom line.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 15:58   #2190
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kerala
Posts: 4,591
Thanked: 2,922 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
It's you who's going to use it finally. So that call is entirely yours.
Yes Sir!

I think i should go the Canon 450D/500D way because they make a better (fuller/complete) entry level SLR. I think ergonomics i can get used to in the long run.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks