Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th January 2010, 15:15   #2656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm purchasing a new budget zoom lens and I'm a little bit confused here. I have two choices 1) Canon 55-250 IS and 2) Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. Which lens would you recommend based on image quality at both wide and tele ends? Also how is the 22-250 build quality against the Sigma?

Are there any other options in the same price range?
Go for the Canon 55-250 IS. Several reasons - chief being build quality and the addition of IS. At F5.6, fully zoomed in at 250, you really tend o appreciate the IS. The 70-300 has slightly more range, but you'll get far less "keepers" because of camera vibration and subject movement.

I have a 450D with a 55-250 and have had no problems so far. you can check out images my wife and I have taken with this lens here:
Flickr: Zoomed In's Photostream

Also, for more detailed info on lenses, take a look at the Bangalore Photography club forms and of course the JJ Mehta forums.
darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 16:07   #2657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul View Post
Go for the Canon 55-250 IS. Several reasons - chief being build quality and the addition of IS. At F5.6, fully zoomed in at 250, you really tend o appreciate the IS. The 70-300 has slightly more range, but you'll get far less "keepers" because of camera vibration and subject movement.

I have a 450D with a 55-250 and have had no problems so far. you can check out images my wife and I have taken with this lens here:
Flickr: Zoomed In's Photostream

Also, for more detailed info on lenses, take a look at the Bangalore Photography club forms and of course the JJ Mehta forums.
very nice pictures in your flickr. you travel a lot.

btw, i believe the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is also good. but if you're worried about the optics and have the moolah to spend, then the choice would be the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS, which is an entry level luxury series with IS, for about 3 times the cost.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 16:38   #2658
Team-BHP Support

The Canon 70-300 IS is better than the 55-250, but costs twice as much(500$).
Actually, many call it the hidden L. If you can afford it, get this lens, but for those on a budget even the 55-250IS is sufficient for the job!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 17:35   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm purchasing a new budget zoom lens and I'm a little bit confused here. I have two choices 1) Canon 55-250 IS and 2) Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. Which lens would you recommend based on image quality at both wide and tele ends? Also how is the 22-250 build quality against the Sigma?

Are there any other options in the same price range?
I just got myself the 55-250 IS for $199.95 shipped - at this price, I don't think you need to look at the Sigma (even thought I bought refurbished).

So here is what my camera purchase has come to:

EOS T1i with 18-55mm IS lens - $599.95
Lowepro Topload Camera case - $16.95
Kingston 8 GB (Class 4) SDHC - $17.95
Canon 55-250mm IS - $199.95
Opteka LP-E5 1800 mAH batteries for Canon T1i - $12.95 (x 2pieces)

After holding back the temptation for so long, I have spent $860.70 (Rs. 41,313 - after adding in ICICI's foreign currency transaction charges ) in one shot. I was warned that this will be a costly hobby, and I have taken the plunge.

Note: The refurbished stuff does not even have a fingerprint on them - seems new to me...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 4th January 2010 at 17:39.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 18:52   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I just got myself the 55-250 IS for $199.95 shipped - at this price, I don't think you need to look at the Sigma (even thought I bought refurbished).

So here is what my camera purchase has come to:

EOS T1i with 18-55mm IS lens - $599.95
Lowepro Topload Camera case - $16.95
Kingston 8 GB (Class 4) SDHC - $17.95
Canon 55-250mm IS - $199.95
Opteka LP-E5 1800 mAH batteries for Canon T1i - $12.95 (x 2pieces)

After holding back the temptation for so long, I have spent $860.70 (Rs. 41,313 - after adding in ICICI's foreign currency transaction charges ) in one shot. I was warned that this will be a costly hobby, and I have taken the plunge.

Note: The refurbished stuff does not even have a fingerprint on them - seems new to me...
Great price for that gear. That's more than enough for beginners like us.

Just add the 50mm 1.8 later on, it only costs about 5k.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 20:18   #2661
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I have bought the Canon 55-250IS already, On Jan 1st . I guess thats the best lens in that price range good enough for an average joe like me. L series was never even considered, even the 70-300IS was out of the budget. Other option was the Sigma 70-300 APO DG.

darksoul, i liked the photos

pheonix, i for while thought about getting the refurbished 55-250 from adorama, but then i would have to get it shipped here, since couldnt find anyone to bring it home, which will add another $50 and even out the price with local market rates. The refurb you got was canon refurbished not store refurbished. That makes a difference. I bought a 40D from them couple of months ago.

Btw bought a Kata 3N1 20 cam bag too. I wanted an easy access cam bag, options included Tamrac Velocity 8x, Lowepro Slingshot 200 and Lowepro Fastpack 250. Finalised Kata since i have an affinity towards Kata bags, their yellow interiors and good build. Will post the pics when i get it.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 20:44   #2662
Senior - BHPian

what is the advantage of USM? how is it different from a non USM lens? i know that it has got motors inside the lens, but the doubt is in daily use, how does one get effectred by this?

for eg:. if the lens is a non USm lens, do we have to manually rotate the lens to zoom or can we still zoom with the camera?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 20:54   #2663
Distinguished - BHPian

USM is very fast compared to the regular AF motors used in lenses. There are two kinds of USM one is USM ring motor and nother type is USM micro motor. Also USM works by vibrating against another surface, unlike the regular motors.

USM ring motor is one large diameter motor which sits over the lens barrel, advantage is its very fast and even if you're in Auto focus mode you can over ride AF by turning the focus ring without switching the mode switch to MF.

USM micro motor is smaller like the name suggests, this type usually replaces the regular AF motor in the lens. While its faster than regular AF motor but you cannot over ride AF to MF by turning the focusing ring. If you do so it will probably harm the gears which connects the motor to the AF sytem.

Read more here: Ultrasonic motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 4th January 2010, 22:18   #2664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
USM is very fast compared to the regular AF motors used in lenses. There are two kinds of USM one is USM ring motor and nother type is USM micro motor. Also USM works by vibrating against another surface, unlike the regular motors.

USM ring motor is one large diameter motor which sits over the lens barrel, advantage is its very fast and even if you're in Auto focus mode you can over ride AF by turning the focus ring without switching the mode switch to MF.

USM micro motor is smaller like the name suggests, this type usually replaces the regular AF motor in the lens. While its faster than regular AF motor but you cannot over ride AF to MF by turning the focusing ring. If you do so it will probably harm the gears which connects the motor to the AF sytem.

Read more here: Ultrasonic motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
to add to what Sankar mentioned, the USM lenses are quieter. in the non-USM lenses you can hear the whirring when the camera focuses.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 23:19   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
pheonix, i for while thought about getting the refurbished 55-250 from adorama, but then i would have to get it shipped here, since couldnt find anyone to bring it home, which will add another $50 and even out the price with local market rates.
Of course shipping it to India makes no sense If you are in the US, or if you have someone coming down to India from the US, then these deals makes sense - am sure I would not have got all that I bought in India for under 42k, the trade-off being the wait holding you back until the stuff gets to you..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Great price for that gear. That's more than enough for beginners like us.

Just add the 50mm 1.8 later on, it only costs about 5k.
Don't get me started again - I thought "Just a camera", and then a bad, memory card, another lens, spare battery... and am sure I will not stop with the 50mm! Something will always come up
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 00:05   #2666
Senior - BHPian

saw some beautiful snow flakes today. And then was thinking what would be the best way to capture them. letting them directly fall down on an SLR sensor? Which brings me to my question here.

Has anybody tried to shoot anything without a lens on an SLR?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 00:41   #2667
BHPian

My new toy: Canon 500D + 18-55 IS Kit Lens

Name:  DSCF0194_800.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  132.9 KBName:  DSCF0195_800.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  135.1 KBName:  DSCF0196_800.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  115.8 KB
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 00:46   #2668
Senior - BHPian

thank you sankar and ironhawk. that cleared a lot of doubts.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 01:19   #2669
BHPian

I am planning to buy a DSLR this week and zeroed it to Canon 500D but i am bit confused now. Is Nikon D5000 better than Canon 500D? I want to goto Nikon D5000 and add a lens for the same costs of Canon 500D since it costs lesser... Guru's please help..

1. What features i might miss if i buy Nikon D5000 instead of Canon 500D ?
2. What are the advantages & disadvantages of buying Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D ?
3. Is Canon 500D worth to buy instead of Nikon D5000 ?
4. What are the other lens options i can upgrade instead of the Nikon's regular lens kit 18-55 VR, my love is to shoot landscapes and normal stationary things like flowers, posters & basic usage. (budget up to 50k for both body & lens)
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 07:57   #2670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
saw some beautiful snow flakes today. And then was thinking what would be the best way to capture them. letting them directly fall down on an SLR sensor? Which brings me to my question here.

Has anybody tried to shoot anything without a lens on an SLR?
Nothing except a very blurred image of nothing. But put a pinhole cap and images will start to form!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Of course shipping it to India makes no sense If you are in the US, or if you have someone coming down to India from the US, then these deals makes sense - am sure I would not have got all that I bought in India for under 42k, the trade-off being the wait holding you back until the stuff gets to you..!

Don't get me started again - I thought "Just a camera", and then a bad, memory card, another lens, spare battery... and am sure I will not stop with the 50mm! Something will always come up
Actually i got the 40D shipped over Well, couldn't find anyone to bring it over. And Even then the deal wasn't bad since i couldn't find a deal which could match it locally. I had considered getting that 55-250 and some other stuff which then could've made the deal sweeter even with shipping cost included, but didn't go for it since i only needed the lens at the moment.

Its a money pit like Samurai said looong back. So if you start looking for things to buy it shall be an endless list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
My new toy: Canon 500D + 18-55 IS Kit Lens

Attachment 256717Attachment 256718Attachment 256719
Congrats!