Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 17:14   #2881
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
What is he going to be shooting mostly ???

D90 is more like an all rounder while A550 is a very good Sports shooter.

Cheers
Its mostly going to be everyday shooting with photos maybe taken on holiday trips. he wants the photos to be very crisp and the camera should be easy to use. Ultimately he wants the best picture for his money.
Which one would you suggest and why ?
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 17:39   #2882
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Its mostly going to be everyday shooting with photos maybe taken on holiday trips. he wants the photos to be very crisp and the camera should be easy to use. Ultimately he wants the best picture for his money.
Which one would you suggest and why ?
I would rather suggest Pentax Kx + 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit. Reason being, it is cheaper than both and blows both away with low light performance and Pentax is good at Auto mode too

Cheers
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 22:19   #2883
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,642
Thanked: 1,352 Times
Default

Canon has offers now. D1000 with kit lens for 24k something , 500D for 45k something; 5k off I guess.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 22:34   #2884
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 3,531 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
@sankar: thanks for providing the link, really helpful. have a question though - how has been your interaction with these guys? have you had any trouble with regards to order/shipment etc.? please do let me know as i'm planning to make some purchases from them.

placed an order for Manfrotto 234RC head for my monopod. lets see how it goes.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 08:34   #2885
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kerala
Posts: 4,592
Thanked: 2,923 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
@sankar: thanks for providing the link, really helpful. have a question though - how has been your interaction with these guys? have you had any trouble with regards to order/shipment etc.? please do let me know as i'm planning to make some purchases from them.

I'm happy with their service. Once i place an order i get a confirmation call from them (and an email), and they intimate via email once the order has been authorised and despatched. Or if there is some delay they call and let me know.

I have made three separate purchases from them and the first two reached me within 7 days (Aramex-Air). The third purchase was the Kata bag which they didn't have it in stock, so i was intimated about this and told me it shall take couple more days and it reached me within 2 weeks (Blue Dart-surface).

Items such as lenses etc would be sent via air, and bags etc will come by surface transport. No troubles so far.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 08:41   #2886
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
I would rather suggest Pentax Kx + 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit. Reason being, it is cheaper than both and blows both away with low light performance and Pentax is good at Auto mode too

Cheers
Sorry for troubling you so much .But pentax is a brand that he doesn't want to go for. Between the alpha 550 and the d90 which one would you suggest ? He is buying withthe kit lens !
Uses : for everyday shooting on holidays with lots of light.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 12:05   #2887
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Sorry for troubling you so much .But pentax is a brand that he doesn't want to go for. Between the alpha 550 and the d90 which one would you suggest ? He is buying withthe kit lens !
Uses : for everyday shooting on holidays with lots of light.
Sourcing lenses for Sony will be tougher than Canikons. So if your friend wants to buy a new lens in future, it would be easy if he has a Nikon.

Having said that, you can get old Minolta lenses for Alphas, which has same or even better optical quality than new lenses and comes for cheap from ebay and such shopping sites.

Sony has sensor stabilization while Nikon you have to have a VR lens. So Sony can take advantage of SSS (VR equivalent) even with old Film SLR lenses. Remember you've to pay the premium for VR when you buy any new lens in future.

Consider these aspects also.

Quote:
for everyday shooting on holidays with lots of light.
So if low light performance is not very important, he can even go for an an A230 which is VFM. Or an A450 is nothing but a 550 minus the live view. I am not sure whether A450 available in teh market yet. If your friend has some more Vitamin M to spare, go for nothing less than than A700.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th January 2010 at 12:17.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:03   #2888
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Sorry for troubling you so much .But pentax is a brand that he doesn't want to go for. Between the alpha 550 and the d90 which one would you suggest ? He is buying withthe kit lens !
Uses : for everyday shooting on holidays with lots of light.
Well if Money is no issue and he's not going to need Low Light performance, then go for Nikon.

A550 is good but colors are a bit off and there is too much saturation. Also Wb is way off most of the times.

D90 has no real competitor to it when it comes to ergonomics. In order to find similar ergonomics one either has to compare it with 1D or Dx bodies. Also AF system on D90 is argueably better than Alpha series.

Alpha series is very good and are improving with every new model but sony still needs a fair bit to go.

Also as said above Sony does have the benefit of In body IS while for Nikon, it depends upon the lenses.

Cheers
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:08   #2889
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,887
Thanked: 15,543 Times
Default

Actually for low light the higher end Sony's like A700 are really good(same sensor as nikon as sony makes nikon sensors)
Other than that canon is excellent for low light photography. 50D is the exception, not the rule. 7D shots I have seen (30 minute exposures) are really good.

I have gotten really good 15-20 minute exposures(and some even longer) from my 350D
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:29   #2890
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
A550 is good but colors are a bit off and there is too much saturation. Also Wb is way off most of the times.
I guess it has got to do with the creative settings in jpeg mode, for example the Vivid mode just makes the jpeg with strong colors. RAW files doesn't get affected - of course optics will anyway play good role in color reproduction.

I've been using an Alpha and I've not had any issues with the WB. I don't know whether 550 has such issues. I mostly shoot with Auto, Daylight & Cloudy and all give good results. The camera has an option to select the white color from the frame you want to shoot, while looking through the viewfinder and then calibrate accordingly before actual click.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th January 2010 at 15:33.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:51   #2891
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually for low light the higher end Sony's like A700 are really good(same sensor as nikon as sony makes nikon sensors)
Other than that canon is excellent for low light photography. 50D is the exception, not the rule. 7D shots I have seen (30 minute exposures) are really good.

I have gotten really good 15-20 minute exposures(and some even longer) from my 350D
Nikon designs there own sensors and get them manufactured by sony.

Any camera is good with long exposures. To be honest, Canon has the worst amount of hot pixels due to long exposures.


Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I guess it has got to do with the creative settings in jpeg mode, for example the Vivid mode just makes the jpeg with strong colors. RAW files doesn't get affected - of course optics will anyway play good role in color reproduction.

I've been using an Alpha and I've not had any issues with the WB. I don't know whether 550 has such issues. I mostly shoot with Auto, Daylight & Cloudy and all give good results. The camera has an option to select the white color from the frame you want to shoot, while looking through the viewfinder and then calibrate accordingly before actual click.
I have only used A550 for few hrs and i felt jpg processing was not good enough. Too warm and too much saturation. This was at default settings not using vivid mode. And so was Custom white balance. For example one doesn't REALLY NEED strobes with real colors in studio. A whole shoot can be done with greed/red/blue/whatever color strobes and it should be all fine as long as photographer is using custom white balance. I personally found A550's white balance off everytime.

Cheers
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:58   #2892
BHPian
 
sandev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kharghar/Navi M
Posts: 112
Thanked: 100 Times
Default

How much Nikon D90 (Body Only) would cost with or W/O warranty! Any particular shop recommendations in Navi Mumbai Or Mumbai?
sandev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 16:07   #2893
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
I have only used A550 for few hrs and i felt jpg processing was not good enough. Too warm and too much saturation.
My Alpha has a bit aggressive Jpeg processing, I've seen some users complain about it.

Too much saturation - I can put it in standard mode and bring down RG&B one level below zero and the jpeg output will be very less saturated. I think it is is just that Alphas have got their default values with a bit higher saturation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
and it should be all fine as long as photographer is using custom white balance.
or as long as you shoot in RAW!

Last edited by clevermax : 28th January 2010 at 16:09.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 16:16   #2894
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Thanks a lot guys and will definitely ask him to get the D90 over the alpha 550. He is also getting it with the kit lens that is 18-105 mm. Just have a doubt whether this lens is equipped with Vibration reduction ?
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 16:27   #2895
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 3,531 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Thanks a lot guys and will definitely ask him to get the D90 over the alpha 550. He is also getting it with the kit lens that is 18-105 mm. Just have a doubt whether this lens is equipped with Vibration reduction ?
yes, the 18-105mm comes with a VR, at least the one i've seen. better get it confirmed before purchase.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks