Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th February 2010, 13:30   #3076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
What is the advantage of marking it as gift? Some custom benefit? If yes then what is the calculation. What is the process to mark shipped item as gift?
Some online sellers have the option to mark it as gift, so that its exempt from custom duties, but adorama is denying that option for international shipping. I have heard from people about such an option, but I think there is a restriction on the price to be eligible for that (upto 10k in India).

I am checking other options now, like paying online and picking up from the stores (considering bestbuy and adorama) as my co-brother is doing his routine flying for 7 days. But local pick up has a tax part, which I need to sort out by cross checking.

Riju, thanks for the reply, I am checking the above options as of now, lets see what works out for me, will update here.

Last edited by shajufx : 4th February 2010 at 13:32.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:38   #3077
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Hw for the info & link - I really appreciate it. Looked at the DIY softbox setup, looks too good for its cost, but I am lazy, gonna try the cardboard box setup itself.

In your picture, if you had used A4 paper as the bg, is that reflection PPed in later?

Last edited by clevermax : 4th February 2010 at 13:42.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:53   #3078
Distinguished - BHPian

i've a question for the experts. i've a old Yashica (used it with the Nikon FG-20) flash, but when i try to make it work with my 400D, in manual or auto, the picture is a washout.

i want to get a 430 ExII, but not right now. any suggestions how i can make this work?

here's a picture of it i found
Attached Images

IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:15   #3079
Team-BHP Support

Ok, just done a quick drawing to start.

Hereís a home made (DIY) soft box for regular flashgun use.
All you need is sufficient patience and modeling skill to make a hollow pyramid with Thermocol. Rest is easy if you follow my drawing.

Points to remember:

1. Soft box face should be at least 2X2 feet in dimension.
2. Use thinner thickness (Thermocol) to reduce weight.
3. Use super glue to join and Thermocol edges. Use wide gummed tape along the join lines.
4. Paste aluminum food wrapping foil inside the box to act as a reflector. Crumple them first before pasting. It'll create multiple surfaces to enhance light's spread.
5. Gateway (type) tracing paper should be pasted last.
6. Use double sided tape to lock flashgun and soft box together.
Itís best to fix this contraption on a light stand with a ball head.
7. Set your camera at Bulb mode. You may need to fire flash (manually) several times in order to use higher aperture.
8. Room should be totally dark.
9. Since these camera mounted flashguns donít have modeling light, you may need to go by trial and error way to place reflectors around/next to your subject.
10. Reflectors can be folded white A4 size papers.

Any question/s.. shoot.

The DSLR Thread-flash.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:34   #3080
Distinguished - BHPian

@rudra sir: questions:
- why the crumple? what kind of effect does it provide? even if the foil is crumpled, when pasting, won't it straighten out?
- would not having the foil on the inside seriously affect the intensity of light?
- having the flashgun attached to the camera and this soft box attached to the flashgun, won't it be cumbersome to use?
- you made that drawing just now?
Old 4th February 2010, 14:43   #3081
BHPian

Clevermax,

My bad. I had a transparent folder beneath the iPhone to get a reflection.

IronH4WK,

Thank you for the places mentioned. I'll give that road a shot for some acrylic sheets. I need to get a new transmitter as well, my previous one conked off after I dropped it once :(.

Rudra Sir,

Thank you for the explanation and the drawing. But, we need not follow points 7 and 8 if we have a transmitter and receiver and we do not intend to use the flash multiple times, correct? For such kind of car shots do we need to use flash from different positions if we have only one flash to work with? I am not sure but reflectors should be good enough? Sorry for so many questions .
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:44   #3082
Distinguished - BHPian

A few more similar DIY links

Flash Ring 1

Flash Ring 2
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:58   #3083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
A few more similar DIY links

Flash Ring 1

Flash Ring 2
this is awesome! thanks for sharing. will try the first one at home
Old 4th February 2010, 15:21   #3084
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
- why the crumple? what kind of effect does it provide?
Crumple is to create multiple small reflective surfaces.
Quote:
even if the foil is crumpled, when pasting, won't it straighten out?
It'll but not to the extent as original flat.
Quote:
- would not having the foil on the inside seriously affect the intensity of light?
Silver surface give stronger reflection than white.
Quote:
- having the flashgun attached to the camera and this soft box attached to the flashgun, won't it be cumbersome to use?
You're not attaching the flashgun on your camera. It should be on a stand as I mention before.
Quote:
- you made that drawing just now?
Few hours ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
But, we need not follow points 7 and 8 if we have a transmitter and receiver and we do not intend to use the flash multiple times, correct?
No, you have to follow those two steps. Your small flashgun won't have the power to shoot at f16 onward aperture with a single fire. Especially when the light is coming through diffuse screen source.
Quote:
For such kind of car shots do we need to use flash from different positions if we have only one flash to work with? I am not sure but reflectors should be good enough? Sorry for so many questions .
What I shot was with single flash head (though much powerful). Side reflection came from paper reflectors.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:08   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
No, you have to follow those two steps. Your small flashgun won't have the power to shoot at f16 onward aperture with a single fire. Especially when the light is coming through diffuse screen source.
What I shot was with single flash head (though much powerful). Side reflection came from paper reflectors.
Yep, I forgot about the f16. I have got a good exposure with f8 and single fire of flash through an umbrella (My display pic ). Alternate choice (if possible) would be to move the flash closer while maintaining f8 and use single shot? I am not sure, I'll give this a shot and come back with results and more questions over the weekend. Thank you for clearing my doubts.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 17:27   #3086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i want to get a 430 ExII, but not right now. any suggestions how i can make this work?
why not run it as a slave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Silver surface give stronger reflection than white.
Actually the reflectance of a white painted reflector is very close to that of a specular aluminum reflector. The reason parabolic aluminum reflectors are used in offices is to control the light and focus it on your table and prevent glare (called disability glare) on your computer screen.

source...
THORN Lighting [Radiance & Reflection]
A matt white painted surface, for instance, has a reflectance of 85% to 90% compared with only 60% specular reflectance from a polished stainless steel surface, while polished aluminium will be approximately 85%.

more reading...
Reflectors

Reflectors
The total reflectivity of a good white paint nearly equals that of silver, and is certainly better than any aluminized surface

However the SPECULAR reflectivity of polished anodised aluminum reflectors like PARs (Parabolic Aluminum Reflectors) is better than that of white paint and this is maybe what Rudra-da was refering to.

Last edited by navin : 4th February 2010 at 17:28.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 17:34   #3087
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who want a DSLR + a Netbook !
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-scannedimage.jpg  

jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 20:31   #3088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
why not run it as a slave?
how do i do that? the model is Yashica CS-201, if it helps.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:20   #3089
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how do i do that? the model is Yashica CS-201, if it helps.
Use your on camera flash as the master. Does it have a IR sensor?

why not ask your question here...you may be directed towards the Cactus PT4/V2 systems.
http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

you might have to do some reasearch about your flash system here
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Last edited by navin : 5th February 2010 at 10:54.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 10:39   #3090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
However the SPECULAR reflectivity of polished anodised aluminum reflectors like PARs (Parabolic Aluminum Reflectors) is better than that of white paint and this is maybe what Rudra-da was refering to.
Perfect. There are two types of standard reflectors for studio flash. One with plain mat white coating and the other one with hammer tone specular shiny coating. Output difference is more than two stops.