Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 22:42   #3391
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 756
Thanked: 311 Times
Default

Just purchased a Canon D1000 I want to know how you get those great effects in PS. Any tuts for that?
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 22:54   #3392
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Just purchased a Canon D1000 I want to know how you get those great effects in PS. Any tuts for that?
There is a button to add great effects in PS

Just kidding... There's no direct way to add great effects in PS, you have to know the basics of editing, and of course, it depends from picture to picture and your imagination.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 22:57   #3393
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There is a button to add great effects in PS
I find too many buttons and thats my confusion!
Need to know which button to use where and when. Clever anytime you plan to pass by Bangalore, dont go without meeting up, lots to learn from you.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 23:12   #3394
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 756
Thanked: 311 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There is a button to add great effects in PS

Just kidding... There's no direct way to add great effects in PS, you have to know the basics of editing, and of course, it depends from picture to picture and your imagination.
Know a bit of PS. So what is basically done is adjusting levels, colors, etc right?
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 23:20   #3395
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

If you ask about what I do with my basic knowledge is exactly what you mentioned, but not with the experts like clever etc. Clever even changes a man to woman through PS. So, thats a different level of workmanship.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 08:43   #3396
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Raj, are they not same as close up filters ? I really dont know, but someone told me close-up filter is a piece of magnifying glass itself, conveniently built with various thread sizes so that you can just screw it on the lens.
Exactly, these are just magnifying glasses with different focal lengths but quite expensive for a cheap magnifying glass.

Raj
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 10:28   #3397
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If you ask about what I do with my basic knowledge is exactly what you mentioned, but not with the experts like clever etc. Clever even changes a man to woman through PS. So, thats a different level of workmanship.


Never done that shaju!
To be honest, I don't know much of the advanced techniques in PS. One can create those 'great effects' (as we call it here) even with basic editing techniques, the key is, achieving perfection in doing those. I think experts like TG will even vouch for that!
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 10:35   #3398
BHPian
 
windiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Capital
Posts: 345
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

hey this my first post on this thread, I'm new to DSLRs though I used to own an old Pentax K-1000 and a Praktica (both film SLRs). Now using a Canon S-5 IS prosumer point and shoot. Recently a friend purchased a Canon EOS 500 D (same as Rebel XTi?) It has an Autofocus system which I was not able to disengage even in M mode, moreover I could not find any focusing aid like split rings/hemispheres etc in the viewfinder even in full manual mode like the film SLRs. The focusing ring on the lens only zooms up and down but does not focus, any gyan on this?
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 11:28   #3399
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
hey this my first post on this thread, I'm new to DSLRs though I used to own an old Pentax K-1000 and a Praktica (both film SLRs). Now using a Canon S-5 IS prosumer point and shoot. Recently a friend purchased a Canon EOS 500 D (same as Rebel XTi?) It has an Autofocus system which I was not able to disengage even in M mode, moreover I could not find any focusing aid like split rings/hemispheres etc in the viewfinder even in full manual mode like the film SLRs. The focusing ring on the lens only zooms up and down but does not focus, any gyan on this?
I have the same camera, and the MF mode indeed disengages Auto focusing. What lens is he using? There will be two rings in the lens, one for focusing (thing band closer to the edge of the lens in case its a stock 18-55), and one for zooming (thicker band, bang in the middle where you would usually hold the lens while clicking).

The view finder definitely has a spot metering indicator / ring, as well as focal points that light up for second while in auto focus - are you looking for something else?
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 12:10   #3400
BHPian
 
windiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Capital
Posts: 345
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
delete the post. wrong thread
Why, for heaven's sake? I did query about an EOS 500D, which IS a DSLR, and this thread IS all about DSLRs isn't it?. Why are you being so dictatorial? relax man, take a chill pill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I have the same camera, and the MF mode indeed disengages Auto focusing. What lens is he using? There will be two rings in the lens, one for focusing (thing band closer to the edge of the lens in case its a stock 18-55), and one for zooming (thicker band, bang in the middle where you would usually hold the lens while clicking).
The view finder definitely has a spot metering indicator / ring, as well as focal points that light up for second while in auto focus - are you looking for something else?
Thanks a lot, pal! he is using the standard lens which came with the camera, 18-55, I guess. Will check out the MF mode. I was looking for two halves of a circle which coincide together to make a full circle when the focus is ok, seen anything like this on DSLRs? it was quite common on manual film SLRs like the classic Nikon FM-1 BTW it was a Nikon F series camera that went to the moon with the Apollo missions! it was also std US Army issue for war correspondents during the Vietnam war!
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 12:28   #3401
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 381 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post

Thanks a lot, pal! he is using the standard lens which came with the camera, 18-55, I guess. Will check out the MF mode. I was looking for two halves of a circle which coincide together to make a full circle when the focus is ok, seen anything like this on DSLRs? it was quite common on manual film SLRs like the classic Nikon FM-1 BTW it was a Nikon F series camera that went to the moon with the Apollo missions! it was also std US Army issue for war correspondents during the Vietnam war!
Well the two halfs formig full circle in manual mode is no longer there in (D)SLR you need to rely on your eyes to see focus is achive din full manual mode.
For full manual mode Move the Slider switch on Lens to MF from AF.
On the camera body move the dial to M position now set the Shutter , Apurture , and+/- Ev compensation.

For focussing use the focus ring ( thing one on outer edge)
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 12:41   #3402
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 431 Times
Default

@windiesel, i meant, that i posted in the wrong thread, not YOU! sorry if that bought abput any confusion for you.

regarding your query, there is no half dials on a std 18-55 IS lens, you have to rely on your eyes, there are 2 rings that rotate, and the one ring on which the filter is mounted is used for focusing, when you switch the LENS on to MF. the thicker one is used for zooming. what lens is your friend using?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 12:41   #3403
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,278 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Why, for heaven's sake? I did query about an EOS 500D, which IS a DSLR, and this thread IS all about DSLRs isn't it?. Why are you being so dictatorial? relax man, take a chill pill!
You should be the one relaxing and taking chill pill, etc. He is talking about his own post. Now I am going to delete it as requested.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 12:54   #3404
BHPian
 
windiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Capital
Posts: 345
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well the two halfs formig full circle in manual mode is no longer there in (D)SLR you need to rely on your eyes to see focus is achive din full manual mode.
For focussing use the focus ring ( thing one on outer edge)
Thanks I was waiting to hear this. Is it not taking the fun, creativity and involvement out of phtography? All you gotta do now is put it in Auto and shoot away. I bet half of the DSLR owners do not know what is a pentaprism and how it functions? What exactly is TTL metering? What the relationship is between Aperture and Depth of field? How to sync your camera with the flashgun you're using? how to use flash to fill in? What's a Bulb mode exposure and why is it called so?
The real enthusiast is always manual, e.g. Tiff Needell won't be caught dead in a Mustang with an auto box!!
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 12:58   #3405
BHPian
 
windiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Capital
Posts: 345
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You should be the one relaxing and taking chill pill, etc. He is talking about his own post. Now I am going to delete it as requested.
As Confucious said, Confusion reigns supereme!!
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks