Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th April 2010, 15:08   #3766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
From what i gather here, i summerize as below

1. Cannon offers an registration option to the buyers,

2. To the registered users/buyers it provides
a. a general awareness session on photography
b. an extended warranty of 1+ year
c. a camera bag
d. a book on photography.
e. option to attend different sessions at their lounge
f. get to know the cannon people (if we face any issues).

I have two questions :

1. Where is this Cannon Lounge ?, Is it near Hennur ?

2. Does Nikkon also provides any such option ?. any any Nikkon buyer share his/her experience ?
The Canon Lounge is in Brigade towers, near Richmond Road.

The Canon Edge sessions are conducted at some place near Hennur and not the Image Lounge.

But, once you register, you get invites to some separate (non canon edge and probably open to all) sessions conducted at Canon Image Lounge.

Also, the list you have mentioned is not common to all. I got everything you mentioned in the list with my 500D. My friend who bought a 7D got to know that he'll additional items like jacket etc. He is still waiting for his welcome kit, so don't know exactly what are its contents. Similarly, I imagine that 1000D kit will be a cut-down version of what you have mentioned above. Can someone confirm?
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 18:25   #3767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Not yet Jayesh told me that he may get 450D by 27th/28th will wait for that. If i don't get 450D may settle of 1000D or Nikon 5000D.
Cool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Also, the list you have mentioned is not common to all. I got everything you mentioned in the list with my 500D. My friend who bought a 7D got to know that he'll additional items like jacket etc. He is still waiting for his welcome kit, so don't know exactly what are its contents. Similarly, I imagine that 1000D kit will be a cut-down version of what you have mentioned above. Can someone confirm?
Jaguar, when Canon started the Canon Edge program, they initially gave away caps, jackets, camera bag, a return flight ticket [think for a photography course in Delhi, I could be wrong of the reason but the ticket was included], course coupons [more than 1], 1GB flash card [we get 4GB today] and the other stuff available today. Their aim was to dissuade potential buyers from seeking the grey market. The Canon Edge program, at its conception, offered goodies pegged at about worth Rs.35000/-.

Canon realized they're selling well, so gradually they down-sized the offer to what it is today, a camera bag, 1 photography handbook and 3 leaflet coupon book, apart from 4GB SD card and a standard 1 year additional warranty... Sad.

Also Jag, I read online that the welcome kit differs based on the EOS model purchased. Unni has just gotten the 500D and he will be registering for the Canon Edge program soon. Within a month, we'll stand to know what 500D owners will be getting.

Last edited by k_ajay : 26th April 2010 at 18:35. Reason: Addition of last paragraph.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 18:59   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Also Jag, I read online that the welcome kit differs based on the EOS model purchased. Unni has just gotten the 500D and he will be registering for the Canon Edge program soon. Within a month, we'll stand to know what 500D owners will be getting.
Thats exactly what I have mentioned before. I got everything that StarVegabond listed out with my 500D, so you don't have to wait for Unni to get his stuff to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Also, the list you have mentioned is not common to all. I got everything you mentioned in the list with my 500D.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 19:05   #3769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I got my 500D recently and all I got is a camera bag and a book that explains the basics of photography with DSLR.
Memory cards are now attached to the original pack itself. Ofcourse its logical to do so. No one will wait for 4 to 6 weeks to get the package with memory card delivered and start using the camera.

Last edited by iamswift : 26th April 2010 at 19:07. Reason: Missed a point
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 14:00   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Post EOS 50D price indication.

For anyone interested,

EOS 50D available with Jayesh, without B&W, between 44K/45K. With warranty price will be confirmed in 2 days [but he hinted it might be about 56K+].

Disclaimer: I do not represent Jayesh/Foto Circle in any way/capacity.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:57   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Considering the present drop in prices, D90 is a lovely pick, take the body for 34k (vinod quoted me 33.5) and pick up a quality lens for around 20-25k. I am considering a body upgrade, tossed between D90 and D300 (34k & 65k). I am waiting for any hint on Nikon's possibility of a 'face-lifted' version of D90. Infact I dont want the video (I believe the video functions on a DSLR is a pure waste and marketing gimmick), thats the only reason I am hesitating on D90 and even D300s. Lets see.
shajufx please let me know your plans for D300. I am game for D300s, so we can press Jayesh hard for discounts.
I am actually waiting and watching the volatility in prices these days. waiting for the floor value.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 15:12   #3772
BHPian

Folks, i stumbled upon this thread rather beleatedly. I just picked up a 550D about 10 days ago from GK Vale Bangalore and i paid 47k with the kit lens of 18-55. So i guess i overpaid by about 2.5k :(

I am now looking at buying a better lens for my planned trip to Ladakh this July. I am contemplating the 55-250 IS which GK Vale sells at 12k (i checked the price today). The alternative options considered are 18-200 and 70-300 and any suggestions on the lens would be really helpful.

As a background, i am aiming to be a good photographer and i am a novice as of now, although i have been photographing over the last 8 years.

Cheers
Vinay Sambaragimath
vinay_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 15:20   #3773
Senior - BHPian

Prices have dropped again. Now D300 body is available at smartshoppers for 60400 (3600 less than bangalore price) and 500D kit for 34k. The all new D300s is selling for 73k. I find the prices very attractive. D90 is 1k more (35140) than the lowest bangalore quote though.

I think I will pick up a D300s if the price drops to 65k.
Speed pujari, lets wait for a while, you never know we might get a D90 free with the D300s very soon if situation continues this way.

Last edited by shajufx : 27th April 2010 at 15:22.
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 15:41   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
I am now looking at buying a better lens for my planned trip to Ladakh this July. I am contemplating the 55-250 IS which GK Vale sells at 12k (i checked the price today). The alternative options considered are 18-200 and 70-300 and any suggestions on the lens would be really helpful.
IMHO on a trip to the Ladakh region, you will need to go wider than 18 mm. Considering that trips like this do not happen as often as we would like and i would want to bring back as much of the beautiful panoramas I can!

I would invest in a wide angle lens. The wide angle I would go for, if I had enough money would be the matchless EF-S 10-22 mm otherwise there have been good words from tsk1979 about a similar but more affordable version from Tamron.

But whatever you pick, ultra-wide lens should be a priority one buy for a trip to Ladakh!
Ashpillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 16:07   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Prices have dropped again. Now D300 body is available at smartshoppers for 60400 (3600 less than bangalore price) and 500D kit for 34k. The all new D300s is selling for 73k. I find the prices very attractive. D90 is 1k more (35140) than the lowest bangalore quote though.

I think I will pick up a D300s if the price drops to 65k.
Speed pujari, lets wait for a while, you never know we might get a D90 free with the D300s very soon if situation continues this way.
LOL!. Jayesh quoted 68500 without B&W for D300s yesterday. He said he has a D300 available for 53k which is refurbished. Seems the sensor was replaced by Nikon. He said there is a 6 months warranty by Nikon for the same and he has the bill for sensor.

I had a long chat with him. He said its safe to buy a running model rather than a discontinued one. He said the Burma Bazaar guy has offered 52k for that D300 which surely he may sell it for say 58k+ to any bakra (hope thats not you or me LOL). Who knows, afterall its everything grey- a mix of black and white.

D300 is available only grey, and 90-100% chances are that either they are used or refurbished. One potential reason why I zeroed on a D300s.

Anyways, same risk is involved in purchasing a D300s, but not as high as D300.
Need to decide fast before much speculated D400 comes into picture.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 27th April 2010 at 16:09.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:20   #3776
Senior - BHPian

D400 is speculated ?? I didnt know that. Cant they produce something without the video pushed into it ? I would prefer to buy an HD camcorder instead of fiddling with a DSLR for videos, if that was my point of interest. I have a Panasonic MiniDVcam with 3CCD etc taken out may be twice a year, so I cant justify paying extra for a video-built-in DSLR. BUT, if brands are launching all the upcoming models with the video, we will be left with no choice !

PM me your number, I will call you than spamming this space !
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 16:29   #3777
BHPian

Any one here bought from smartshoppers.in website? How good/reliable are they?
Sadly no Pentax there :(
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 16:30   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
D400 is speculated ?? I didnt know that. Cant they produce something without the video pushed into it ? I would prefer to buy an HD camcorder instead of fiddling with a DSLR for videos, if that was my point of interest. I have a Panasonic MiniDVcam with 3CCD etc taken out may be twice a year, so I cant justify paying extra for a video-built-in DSLR. BUT, if brands are launching all the upcoming models with the video, we will be left with no choice !

PM me your number, I will call you than spamming this space !
A Speculation is a speculation. lets not bother about it. There have been news in the air about Nikkor 300mm f/4 the VR version. I would die for this lens if priced at 1500-1800$ .

Anyways, i have PMed my number to you.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:55   #3779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Vinay, as Ashpillai has mentioned, the telephoto lens is not what you should be looking to take to, for Ladakh.

Please look up this thread for photos of a member called tsk1979, he has some wonderful Landscape pics of Ladakh/Leh area on his website/blog, and he also recently purchase a wide-angle lens [Tokina/Tamron brand]. Approach him for recommendation/review of wide angle lens.

Again, Wide angle lens is the one to go for, for the beautiful landscape photo opportunities at Ladakh/Leh.
Old 27th April 2010, 18:06   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Post Eos 550d

Folks,

I came across this thread while still reading around about the EOS 550D which I'm considering purchasing in less than a week.

For others who may be looking at picking up one too, or want to know the photo quality, can have a look at this thread. The snaps from T2i/550D are no less than mind blowing.. Of course, the photographer behind the cam should be given the larger share of credit [without one such, the cam is a total waste].

Lots of snaps here --> -= T2i / 550D users UNITE! =- - Canon Digital Photography Forums

aK