Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:00   #3886
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,027
Thanked: 377 Times
Default

Lost my lens cap somewhere in Bandipore forest last week. After searching at several places in Kormangla and indiranagar area got a replacement at 350 Rs from Whizz in Forum , This is simply overpriced because cap looks 3ed party ( Sonia ) with Canon written on it but good thing is that there is a small hole in the cap through which I have put a black string and fastned it to the loop in camera strap so won't loose it again.

The cost of the string 2 Rs from a general store.

Can any one suggest a good place in Bangalore for small accessories , The attitude of guys at G.K vale and Whiz is pathetic ( At least in Koramangla , Indiranagar area) I need to buy lens cleaning liquid but they seem to be interested in selling whole kit only.

PS : All new DSLR buyers if you are looking for a fast SD card look at Silicon Power , Silicon Power 16GB Class 10 is quite cost effective ( as compared to Sand Disk Extreme III ) you can purchase on e-bay it will be shipped FOC to India. The quality is good.

Disclaimer: I I have Patriot 16GB Class 10 but after looking at several performance charts and reviews I think Silicon Power is good bet for people in India.

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd May 2010 at 10:03.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:12   #3887
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,949
Thanked: 15,631 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
One cannot compare D90 with 550D. D90 is considered Semi-Pro while 550D is purely consumer grade.
So what semi pro level stuff does D90 do which 550D cannot?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:29   #3888
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mohali
Posts: 52
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So what semi pro level stuff does D90 do which 550D cannot?
In fact there is nothing a D90 can do which a 550D cannot and maybe do it better! The whole talk of D90 being semi pro and a 550D not being so is nothing more than a result of Nikon "positioning" its product as a semi pro whereas the 550D carrying the legacy of the 500D which was positioned by Canon as an "enthusiast" product. Also the pricing of D90 when it was launched could not have sustained in the "consumer" segment anyhow.

So its just what the marketing team decides to say about a product!
Ashpillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:53   #3889
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,027
Thanked: 377 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpillai View Post
In fact there is nothing a D90 can do which a 550D cannot and maybe do it better! The whole talk of D90 being semi pro and a 550D not being so is nothing more than a result of Nikon "positioning" its product as a semi pro whereas the 550D carrying the legacy of the 500D which was positioned by Canon as an "enthusiast" product. Also the pricing of D90 when it was launched could not have sustained in the "consumer" segment anyhow.

So its just what the marketing team decides to say about a product!
Well 500D was not bad either if you compare with D90 and it's video , Just that D90 is bit bulky the claim for pro-ness looks more serious with all nice talks of ergonomics and big hands. But average Indian with height up to 6 feet does not have very big hands. So don't not know how applicable this famed ergonomics is .Now If this claim was for something like K7 with weather sealed magnesium alloy body I would have understood the claim to be a pro body.
So yes I agree it is marketing.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:30   #3890
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I do not see any logic in this assertion both are prosumer level offerings from two manufacturers , In fact 550D may have certain advantages over D90 or the other way round depending on which camp one follows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So what semi pro level stuff does D90 do which 550D cannot?
D90 extensively uses Aluminium in the construction and is covered with plastic which 550D is mainly made out of plastic with single skeleton to mount sensor and other electronics. This is also reflected in weight of both, D90 is around 700gms while 550D is around 500gms.

DPP has extensive reviews on both and so does Camera-labs.

As for Ergonomics, one cannot show it on a forum, so i suggest using both and then deciding what suits best to particular set of hands.

Nikon puts it as D3000 -> D5000 -> D90 -> D300s -> D700 ->D3s -> D3x
Canon puts it as 1000D -> 550D -> 50D -> 7D -> 5D -> 1Dxx -> 1Dsxx

I don't need to argue over this point. Its how both companies put there products against each other.
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:41   #3891
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,949
Thanked: 15,631 Times
Default

Both D90 and 550D have a plastic body.
D90 has a metal chasis, so does the 550D (stainless steel chasis)
Now if D90 was weather sealed, there would be truth to the argument of Semi Pro.
If you want a weather sealed body in such a price range, then Pentax is the answer for APS-c

As far as 550D and D90 is concerned, Nikon Plastic quality feels slightly superior to the 550D.
But to earn a semi Pro tag, you need atleast weather sealing, which neither of the cameras do.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:48   #3892
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,661
Thanked: 434 Times
Default

Comeone guys, you are still stuck to the D90 and 550D ? Lets move on. Someone wants to keep it as a 'collector's item', someone wants to call it as 'semi-pro'. According to experts in the field, its just a super quality DSLR that excels in its image quality. Lets not even go to the video area, its basic. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lets wait for the upgrade from Nikon, so that will change the story altogether. Seriously I am waiting for that, my only body in consideration right now is D300s, which we can confidently call as semi-pro. Video on the D300s also is not that perfect according to the reviews, so Nikon has a serious job to bring out the new upgrade with these things sorted out.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:15   #3893
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,609
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

D90 was launched in Sep'2008, two years after the D80 launch.
Going by that timeline, upgrade for D90 is due sometime this year.
Undoubtly, D90 is one of the best prosumer dslr in the market!

Image quality & feature wise, not much of difference between D90 and Canon equivalent.
What impressed me was the superb ergonomics!
Once I hand held the Nikon & Canon cam, it was Nikon all the way!

And for video quality, one should not expect too much from a Dslr camera, for videos you have to get a Handycam.
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:28   #3894
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,661
Thanked: 434 Times
Default

Finney, looks like the present trend is to forcefully include the HD video features into every DSLR that comes out from top brands. Even if I want a DSLR without the video, I am left with no choice. Its the same thing thats happening in the Mobile world too. Dont we have a line of mobile phones that has 8MP or higher camera and a 720p HD video, auto focus feature ? They are in fact trying to squeeze through the compact camera line, the DSLR world trying to squeeze through the HDMI video camera line.

Very soon we might have a gadget that can do almost everything under the sky. Infact I wouldnt mind a single gadget like that, instead of carrying 3 or 4 different things.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:41   #3895
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,164
Thanked: 464 Times
Post Finally..

After weeks of reading reviews, asking experts and enthusiasts for suggestions and feedback, fighting battles in my head and trying to experience the cameras, I now have what I've waited for, a long time.

The 550D is resting on my bed waiting for me to return home..

Got it with B&W for Rs.45800. Also got an 8GB Sandisk Extreme class 6 SDHC card, which was Rs.1980.

Hoping to raise to the enthusiasts' standard soon.

Cheers
aK
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:22   #3896
BHPian
 
mohang_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Got it with B&W for Rs.45800. Also got an 8GB Sandisk Extreme class 6 SDHC card, which was Rs.1980.
So how much discount you got from Jayesh?

Even i listened to my head and brought Canon 1000D with 18-55 IS @ 26k with 4gb card. At canon lounge i could not make out any difference between 550D and 1000D except the 14MP. Tried both 18-55 and 55-250.
Thanks to all guru's for helping me to decide the camera.

Mohan.G

Last edited by mohang_j : 3rd May 2010 at 15:23.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:01   #3897
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,164
Thanked: 464 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
So how much discount you got from Jayesh?

Even i listened to my head and brought Canon 1000D with 18-55 IS @ 26k with 4gb card. At canon lounge i could not make out any difference between 550D and 1000D except the 14MP. Tried both 18-55 and 55-250.
Thanks to all guru's for helping me to decide the camera.

Mohan.G
Mohan, I got a discount of 900+ bucks.. Pushed him a bit and he agreed to let go of the 2% for CC.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The 550D feels great in the hand, so compact. Btw, 50mm 1.8 prime is Rs.5K and 55-250 IS for Rs.11K with Jayesh..

Last edited by k_ajay : 3rd May 2010 at 16:10.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:25   #3898
BHPian
 
thalavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 389
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
D90 extensively uses Aluminium in the construction and is covered with plastic which 550D is mainly made out of plastic with single skeleton to mount sensor and other electronics. This is also reflected in weight of both, D90 is around 700gms while 550D is around 500gms.

DPP has extensive reviews on both and so does Camera-labs.

As for Ergonomics, one cannot show it on a forum, so i suggest using both and then deciding what suits best to particular set of hands.

Nikon puts it as D3000 -> D5000 -> D90 -> D300s -> D700 ->D3s -> D3x
Canon puts it as 1000D -> 550D -> 50D -> 7D -> 5D -> 1Dxx -> 1Dsxx

I don't need to argue over this point. Its how both companies put there products against each other.
Traditionally (as per experts/magazines opinion), Nikon and Canon always position their cameras between each other. Price and feature wise.
So, 550D is between D5000 & D90.
50D is between D90 and D300s.
5D between D300s and D3s and so forth.
If you read recent reviews of 7D, this is probably Canon's attempt to directly target Nikon (in this case D300s).

To add to the difference, D90 has a top LCD screen which 550D lacks. This, according to some is a feature of a semi-pro camera. So ...

Why get yourself confused. Get into Pentax world. Just 2 cameras to choose from. K-x for starters and K-7 for advanced photogs. If you are pro, you can choose 645D (you have to get from Japan though)
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:34   #3899
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Very soon we might have a gadget that can do almost everything under the sky. Infact I wouldnt mind a single gadget like that, instead of carrying 3 or 4 different things.
iPhone/Nokia X8/etc ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
To add to the difference, D90 has a top LCD screen which 550D lacks. This, according to some is a feature of a semi-pro camera. So ...

Why get yourself confused. Get into Pentax world. Just 2 cameras to choose from. K-x for starters and K-7 for advanced photogs. If you are pro, you can choose 645D (you have to get from Japan though)
My point was, Nikon is cheap sensor in an expensive camera while Canon is expensive sensor in a cheap camera. Not sure if point will be conveyed, but this is how it was explained to me.

I for one am waiting for 645D, will have to import it but then again its best bang for buck compared to D3x, 1Dsmk3 and H's, considering glass is fairly cheap and plenty of adapters are available for pickard and thornton and mamiya glass.
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:25   #3900
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,305
Thanked: 423 Times
Default

thats a lovely cam that you bought ajay! congratulations.

out of curiosity, what were the strong points that made you feel the 550D was worth the 20k extra?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks