Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 17:17   #4096
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,028
Thanked: 377 Times
Default

Hellworth Thanks for the heads up got my BPC membership approved only today. The guy is selling Takumar 28mm F3.5 don't know if that fits my purpose of a faster lens then Canon Nifty Fifty or not.

Raji the adapters locally available are Av Confirm or just plain mechanical connectors ?
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:28   #4097
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hellworth Thanks for the heads up got my BPC membership approved only today. The guy is selling Takumar 28mm F3.5 don't know if that fits my purpose of a faster lens then Canon Nifty Fifty or not.

Raji the adapters locally available are Av Confirm or just plain mechanical connectors ?
Well, he's selling a 24mm f/3.5. It's supposed to be pretty sharp. You want a faster lens than nifty fifty? There are two options, 50mm f1.4 and a 50mm f1.0 L . Dont think the adapters have AF confirm chip. To be honest, I used a manual 50mm FD lens on my previous trip and didn't have any problems using manual focus without AF. May be I am just comfortable using MF because that's the only option when I do macro shoots. So it's just a matter of getting used to it I feel. Sometimes the AF will matter like in sports or street, but for portraits or landscape, it should be ok to use MF.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 08:49   #4098
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 83
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
hey Hellwrath,

In Hyderabad u get get Helios within Rs 1000 for a 58mm f2 and m42 adapter are available in abundance on ebay India for Rs 280....now I see that guy increased the prices to Rs 320 but if u call him directly he still quotes Rs 280 :-)

I had seen a helios few days back at a local shop but it has light cleaning marks on the front coating...shud not impact the quality of the pics though...

Rajeev
Can you tell me where this shop/market is?

And there is a very active HPC on Flickr. I never knew that. It's sad because I am off to Indore in a couple of weeks and there is no sign of an IPC.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 10:51   #4099
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,461
Thanked: 3,847 Times
Default

Ok guys I have a question.

I use a 40D. My lenses (all Canon) are 17-55/2.8 IS, 70-300/4-5.6 IS, 50/1.4, 28/1.8 and 100/2. I intend to supplement this set with a Canon 10-24.

I have noticed that on travels I am a bit rushed to change lenses and sometimes do the change with the camera on which means that the sensor attracts dust. Hence I am looking for either a IS powered super zoom (I am torn between the Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270) or should i just get a second body and slip the 70-300 on the second body.

Which super zoom is prefered? I want practical advice - I am not a pixel peeper but want fast focus, IS (as I shoot a lot indoors), and I am senstive to CA, softness and pincushion and barrel distortion. Should I even consider a 18-135 instead? Will it be sharper and have less distortion than the 18-200 or 18-270?

I have tried the 15-85 and it does not interest me. My 17-55 is better and the range between 55 and 85 really does not cover my needs.

Now if you guys advise a second body, which second body do you guys recommend. I am looking at the 550 (because it has video) but it seems to expensive for a body that will be used only during travel and the 40D still handles better than the 550. I would also have to lay out my (Kata 3N1-30) bag so that I can fit the 40D with 17-55 and 2nd body with 70-300 or 70-200 ready for shooting.

For occasions that need me to use a lens for only one day I borrow a 70-200/2.8 IS and 100-400/4-5.6 IS and some other expensive glass from my niece so if I am to get a second body the body must suit these lenses as well.

Last edited by navin : 27th May 2010 at 10:54.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 10:58   #4100
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hellworth Thanks for the heads up got my BPC membership approved only today. The guy is selling Takumar 28mm F3.5 don't know if that fits my purpose of a faster lens then Canon Nifty Fifty or not.

Raji the adapters locally available are Av Confirm or just plain mechanical connectors ?
they are plain mechanical adapters pal....u cant get a glass adpater with AF confirm for under Rs 300 :-)
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 10:59   #4101
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,952
Thanked: 15,633 Times
Default

LOL navin, I have the same dilemma. So I bought an ultra wide angle(Tamron 10-24) which will stay on the 350D, and as a companion camera got the panasonic FZ35!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 11:01   #4102
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Can you tell me where this shop/market is?

And there is a very active HPC on Flickr. I never knew that. It's sad because I am off to Indore in a couple of weeks and there is no sign of an IPC.
Hi Smokie...you can try Any shop in Haridas market in Koti.....

Sorry moderators for not using Quote+ as there seems to be some issues with my browser...hence have to create multiple replies...

Rajeev
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 12:22   #4103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 83
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

@rajismine: Thanks for the tip. I will check them out.

@navin: If you get the Canon 18-200 or the Tamron 18-270, they will be the worst performing lenses in your collection. Superzooms trade image quality for convenience. Can't have both. So, if you have no problems carrying a second body around, I would recommend that.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 12:35   #4104
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Navin sir, you have almost all the lenses required for all the situations!!

Just my opinion:
the 17-55/2.8 is an excellent walk around lens but it loses out on the tele equation as you are specific about the tele.

BTW, upgrading to full frame(FF) DSLR is an option in your mind?? If yes, you might better be looking at EF lenses. The canon 18-200, I doubt it will be working well on a FF camera and so is the tamron!!

Along with the 10-24 how about 28-300 IS USM??? (I hope you dont wish to kill me for suggesting it ). For a lower budget you have 28-200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ok guys I have a question.

I use a 40D. My lenses (all Canon) are 17-55/2.8 IS, 70-300/4-5.6 IS, 50/1.4, 28/1.8 and 100/2. I intend to supplement this set with a Canon 10-24.

I have noticed that on travels I am a bit rushed to change lenses and sometimes do the change with the camera on which means that the sensor attracts dust. Hence I am looking for either a IS powered super zoom (I am torn between the Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270) or should i just get a second body and slip the 70-300 on the second body.

Which super zoom is prefered? I want practical advice - I am not a pixel peeper but want fast focus, IS (as I shoot a lot indoors), and I am senstive to CA, softness and pincushion and barrel distortion. Should I even consider a 18-135 instead? Will it be sharper and have less distortion than the 18-200 or 18-270?

I have tried the 15-85 and it does not interest me. My 17-55 is better and the range between 55 and 85 really does not cover my needs.

Now if you guys advise a second body, which second body do you guys recommend. I am looking at the 550 (because it has video) but it seems to expensive for a body that will be used only during travel and the 40D still handles better than the 550. I would also have to lay out my (Kata 3N1-30) bag so that I can fit the 40D with 17-55 and 2nd body with 70-300 or 70-200 ready for shooting.

For occasions that need me to use a lens for only one day I borrow a 70-200/2.8 IS and 100-400/4-5.6 IS and some other expensive glass from my niece so if I am to get a second body the body must suit these lenses as well.

Little bit of bit of diversion for you here:
How about Bigma or Bigmos ??? Talking just in-terms of range and walk-around lens, nothing can beat it!!!

After all this, I feel you can try Tanveer's route:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
LOL navin, I have the same dilemma. So I bought an ultra wide angle(Tamron 10-24) which will stay on the 350D, and as a companion camera got the panasonic FZ35!
You can also look at Fuji S9600 if its available. It comes with manual zoom ring!! I think the S200EXR is a successor to it with a similar 1/1.6" CCD EXR sensor!! I think the EXR technology got to do something with better pixel definition or something like that. With the EXR, instead of reducing the size of the pixel to increase the MP, the pixel are adjusted in such a way that the gaps between them is reduced. More about it here:
What's EXR? | EXR | Fujifilm Global



ALL THE BEST.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th May 2010 at 15:34.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 14:03   #4105
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,461
Thanked: 3,847 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
LOL navin, I have the same dilemma!
1. I do not like small sensors. The smallest I will tolerate is 1/1.6 and only on a compact P&S like the S90.

2. I do believe (with appologies to Rudra-da) that the APS-C sensor or even the 4/3rd sensor is adequate for almost all needs (I use a 46" TV and a PS3 to view my photos so if they work on a 46" screen a 8x10 glossy should be no problem). The 35mm sensor is a legacy from another time and while larger sensors do allow for more light and hence better photos lenses for large sensor systems are terribly expensive. Compare a 24-70/2.8 IS to the 17-55 or a 100-400/4-5.6 IS to the 70-300/4-5.6. it gets worse when you go to medium format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Navin sir, you have almost all the lenses required for all the situations!!

BTW, upgrading to full frame(FF) DSLR is an option in your mind??

Along with the 10-24 how about 28-300 IS USM???

How about Bigma or Bigmos ??? :
1. I wish. I have a host of lenses (2 of which I borrow) that I wish I could justify buying.

2. No I dont think FF will be ever on my horizon. Then again at one time I believed I'd never leave film and my Hassie and switch to digital and a SLR system. Still if I do go FF the I wont sell the APS-C system.

3. The 28-300 makes a lot of sense compared to the 18-200 given that the 28-300 will still be useable on FF. However I really would like to know if one should even get a superzoom. If I got a second body and carried the 17-55 on one body and 70-300 on the other I'd have my range covered.

Now that the 28-300 is in the mix I got 3 lens options 1 Tamron (18-270) and 2 Canon (18-200 or 28-300). I wont consider the Bigmas as they are slow and have terrible distortion (I tried the 50-500 once). I come from a medium format - prime lens background. I am senstive to such things more than I wish to be.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 14:59   #4106
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. I do not like small sensors. The smallest I will tolerate is 1/1.6 and only on a compact P&S like the S90.
Sir if you are ok with the 1/1.6 format, I have already gave you an option with super zoom!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
....After all this, I feel you can try Ajmat's route:

You can also look at Fuji S9600 if its available. It comes with manual zoom ring!! I think the S200EXR is a successor to it with a similar 1/1.6" CCD EXR sensor!! .....


Quote:
2. I do believe (with appologies to Rudra-da) that the APS-C sensor or even the 4/3rd sensor is adequate for almost all needs (I use a 46" TV and a PS3 to view my photos so if they work on a 46" screen a 8x10 glossy should be no problem). The 35mm sensor is a legacy from another time and while larger sensors do allow for more light and hence better photos lenses for large sensor systems are terribly expensive. Compare a 24-70/2.8 IS to the 17-55 or a 100-400/4-5.6 IS to the 70-300/4-5.6. it gets worse when you go to medium format.
I didnt understand this in the present context but I guess its for tanvir!!



Quote:
2. No I dont think FF will be ever on my horizon. Then again at one time I believed I'd never leave film and my Hassie and switch to digital and a SLR system. Still if I do go FF the I wont sell the APS-C system.
heheheee, everybody said that!!!



Quote:
If I got a second body and carried the 17-55 on one body and 70-300 on the other I'd have my range covered.
Actually this sound better but you wanted to buy and use 10-24 too!!!
Lets see:
Case1: Body1 with 17-55, Body2 with 70-300. Still you have to make a lens change to use the 10-24!! You are buying a 10-24 lens, body2. (a bit expensive affair over $1000)

Case2: Body1 with 28-300, Body2 with 10-24. Always ready to click!!! You are buying a 10-24, body2 and zoom lens(very expensive affair!! around $4000)

Case3: 40D with 10-24 and a Super zoom P&S camera(around $350). You are just buying the 10-24 and a PS camera, there by saving around $300 to $350 over the case1. But same as the case one you still have to do a change if you want to use the 17-55!!! (around $700)



Quote:
Now that the 28-300 is in the mix I got 3 lens options 1 Tamron (18-270) and 2 Canon (18-200 or 28-300).
Sir'ji' are you sure??? the canon 28-300 IS USM costs around $2400 in US and in India its upwards of $3000!!!



Quote:
..... I come from a medium format - prime lens background. I am senstive to such things more than I wish to be.
I can understand what you are talking about but I was surprised you were talking about 18-200!!! Common sir, thats blasphemy . If your hassy kit has a tele-lens in it, why dont you bring it down from USA sir and buy a flatbed scanner like the Epson V700. Scan and crop to get the same field of view as the APS-C sensor!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 27th May 2010 at 15:01.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 16:31   #4107
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjains View Post

I am looking at D300s and in wait and watch mode to see if we can get it at some lesser prices.

Thanks.
@jjains ,Were the quotes with nikon warranty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
the prices seem a little higher compared to Hyderabad. A D90 here is 35K body only and 47 with the lens...A D3000 is available for 21.5K with Vr lens...etc
@rajismine, Is this with bill and nikon warranty ?

@shaju , jayesh quoted me 58K for D90 +18-105 +nikon warranty .
Was your quote for a grey piece ? or am I missing someting .

@all , what is the best price and place for D90-18-105+nikon warrranty ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 17:15   #4108
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,661
Thanked: 434 Times
Default

What I quoted should be grey and body only. Even billed purchases should be a better bet at Jayesh or RK, because its been compared and calculated many times by different members here.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 17:17   #4109
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
....
@all , what is the best price and place for D90-18-105+nikon warrranty ?
As per the smartshoppers.in website, its around 54K with two years mft warranty. You also get 4GB Card + Nick shoot book + Bag free with it.

Nikon D-90 12.3 MP DSLR Camera - 18-105mm VR lens - with 2 Years Manf Warranty ? Smart Shoppers Deals with Digital Camera, Camera Lenses, SLR Digital Camera, Laptops, Ipod and Mobile Phones in India.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 22:19   #4110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 197 Times
Default

guys help....

a coll. selling a d90+18-105, over 1 yr old, 30K clicks, good condition.
what should i quote ?

i think a new one grey is for 49k (jayesh).

thanks
lazy
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks